• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush and Ethics

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Pah said:
The organization we belong to and actively work for is bipartisian. You ignored that we asked to you join and support what you say you favor.

Republican, Independant, and Democratic representatives attended the legislative reception we gave after our day of lobbying. One of our sponsers was the Log Cabin organization.

Your organization actively supports, almost exclusively, democratic candidates. What good will it do me to fight one injustice with a series of other injustices to come? While I am antagonistic to these homophobic republicans in Richmond, I am equally antagonistic to their democratic opposition. I simply will not support them based on a single issue. While I support both Mark Warner and Tim Kaine, I do so only in opposition to the irresponsiblity of Virginia Republicans. I will continue to support libertarian candidates and organizations within the more local areas of Virginia's government and will not give money to any organization that actively supports democratic candidates.

And Maize, I am not bashing liberals, I am simply pointing out their hypocrisy. I cannot support them just because we agree on a single issue. They still have a political philosophy antagonistic to economic liberty. What else am I supposed to do? I am not an altruist and neither are you.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Darkdale said:
Your organization actively supports, almost exclusively, democratic candidates.

They are not supported because they are Democrats, we support them because they believe in equal rights and are willing to fight the anti-gay majority in our state.

What does it say about the other side than we support so few of them? Why should support someone like Bob Marshall who is openly anti-gay?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Darkdale said:
And Maize, I am not bashing liberals, I am simply pointing out their hypocrisy. I cannot support them just because we agree on a single issue. They still have a political philosophy antagonistic to economic liberty. What else am I supposed to do? I am not an altruist and neither are you.
We all give and take a little when something is as important as basic freedoms and liberties for all are involved.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Maize said:

They are not supported because they are Democrats, we support them because they believe in equal rights and are willing to fight the anti-gay majority in our state.

What does it say about the other side than we support so few of them? Why should support someone like Bob Marshall who is openly anti-gay?

That isn't the point. I understand why you support the democrats, but I cannot support them, no matter how righteous their position on gay rights is. That is not the only issue facing Virginians and I am unwilling to put my political and economic liberties at risk over a single issue.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Darkdale said:
That isn't the point. I understand why you support the democrats, but I cannot support them, no matter how righteous their position on gay rights is. That is not the only issue facing Virginians and I am unwilling to put my political and economic liberties at risk over a single issue.
Well, there is where we differ. I'm far less concerned about economic issues than I am that ALL people are treated equally and fairly. I am willing to risk everything for that - even if it didn't directly effect me.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Maize said:
Well, there is where we differ. I'm far less concerned about economic issues than I am that ALL people are treated equally and fairly. I am willing to risk everything for that - even if it didn't directly effect me.

I understand, but I couldn't care less about an equality amongst men if we are all relative slaves... even slaves unto each other. Economic liberty is at the heart of freedom itself. There can be no political or social liberty without it. All you will have is the appearance of equality, by virtue of force. And there is no equality by force. There is only the equality we have by virtue of our humanity. It cannot be given to us, it can only be taken away by government or violence, or both. I am unwilling to sacrifice my most fundamental liberties, to life, to property, to freedom from force, for any reason. We must both convince our government to treat us as equals and to cease their corruptive pursuit of power, force and violence. We need economic liberties 1st, political liberties 2nd and civil liberties 3rd. We cannot work backwards.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Maize said:
Does that include us amateur lobbyists as well?
Not at all. Thats what real lobbying is about. that goes on in the uk as well. Most lobby's are supported by numerous members of parliament of all colours.

The Accredited lobbyists is a highly paid low life profession.
It is done for money.
It has no ethical value.
Your people have tried to spread it over here.
It always ends in a scandal.
The main intent is to gain political support for the special aims of sectional business.
It is not about the interests of the man in the street.

Terry____________________________
Blessed are the pure of heart, they shall behold their God.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Terrywoodenpic said:
The Accredited lobbyists is a highly paid low life profession. It is done for money. It has no ethical value.

How does lobbying have no ethical value? We are talking about the people petitioning its' government. We are talking about using the only means that governments respect, numbers & money, to get them to listen. Governments do not care about the people. What government cares about is its' own strength, its' own wealth, and its' own stability and power. Lobbyists have to work in that environment. That's the reality. I think your beef should not be with the lobbyists, but with the state of Western government.

Terrywoodenpic said:
The main intent is to gain political support for the special aims of sectional business. It is not about the interests of the man in the street.

Do businesses not have rights? Businesses are constantly being interfered with by governments that have learned that by ruling over business they can gain the votes of the worst kind of low-life parasites our countries have to offer. In order to protect the economic liberties of the people, businesses are forced to buy politicians who have put themselves up for sale.

"In general, the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one class of citizens to give to another". -Voltaire

"Work saves us from three great evils: boredom, vice and need".- Voltaire, Candide, 1759

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Terrywoodenpic said:
The Accredited lobbyists is a highly paid low life profession.
It is done for money.
It has no ethical value.
Your people have tried to spread it over here.
It always ends in a scandal.
Wow. I will be sure to let my Aunt know that. She lobbys for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation. I'm sure that she would be glad to hear that she has no ethical value and has a low life profession.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
BUDDY said:
Wow. I will be sure to let my Aunt know that. She lobbys for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation. I'm sure that she would be glad to hear that she has no ethical value and has a low life profession.
That is a worthy cause.
But why does a charity need to lobby?
surely it is independent of government.

I am talking about Lobbyists who either work for industries; or take on all comers, who have the cash to pay them.

If lobbying were done with out all the graft and favours to politicians (bribes).
it would be a lot more savoury.

Terry____________________
Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land