• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burqa in Islam?

Strangelet

I have heard it stated many times that the Burqa is not a Muslim custom, but was an older cultural practice which integrated into Musilm communities after the death of the prophet. The Burqa, I am told, has absolutely nothing to do with Islam. Actually, I believe that this line of reasoning is likely to be true.

I have also heard it said many times that people who support banning the Burqa are being intolerant, racist, Islamophobic, are indulging in refugee-bashing, and the list goes on. Of these labels, I am only concerned here with the Islamophobic one. I am puzzled because it seems to me that if the Burqa has nothing to do with Islam, then banning the Burqa should also have nothing to do with Islam.

So we have Muslims claiming that the Burqa has nothing to do with Islam, and we have Muslims claiming that banning the Burqa is an attack on Islam. Are these two groups made up of different people? Or do we have the same people making both claims? How could both claims both be simultaneously valid? They seem to me to be mutually exclusive.

I realize that even if the Burqa is purely a local custom, banning it could still easily be seen as racist and wrong. I do not wish to argue the ethics of such a ban. That would, in my opinion, be very boring.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The burqa itself is not a requirement of Islam. Modest dress is.
Modesty is highly subjective, and some women believe that in order to fulfill the modesty rules, they need to wear a burqa.

Forcing or banning is all the same...wrong. Facial covering, however is different. Women should be willing to remove it for identification purposes.

The argument against ban is because of the removal of choice, not whether it's a requirement or not.

Strangelet

The argument against ban is because of the removal of choice, not whether it's a requirement or not.

That argument makes sense, but it is not the only one which is used. I brought it up since quite a lot of posters have been put up near where I live which decry a "racist group" which is campaigning for what these posters describe as a "ban against Islam." I only found out that they were rallying to ban the Burqa when I searched for more information on the internet. I have seen a few of these Burqa arguments, and people on one side of the argument quite regularly calls the other Islamophobic. I had been wondering if the people who use the "Islamophobic" line also use the "burqa has nothing to do with Islam" line.

seeking4truth

If you look at the national dress of women from most countries of the world you will find that they almost all have some sort of headdress. Covering the head/hair was traditionally a virtuous act in most countries, a sign of the dignity and modesty of women as well as their status in society(eg.crown/tiara).
That women in the second half of the twentieth century have abandoned covering their heads almost parallels their abandonment of modesty and dignity.

Woodrow LI

IB Ambassador
While only a small number of Muslimahs wear the Burqa, the Burqa has become symbolic of Muslim women to the Western world. Before going further here are examples of Islamic apparel

Clothing.jpg~original

The Burqah is considered Sunnah for woman to wear. Not necessarily mandatory but the woman gains blessings for doing so. It has also become symbolic of the rights of Muslim woman as many insist on wearing it to show they do not consider it to be an act of oppression. Another problem is that often the ban of the Burqa is applied tp the Hijab, Al Amira Chador and Shayla. As some non-Muslims believe those are the Burqa.

mahasn ebn sawresho

While only a small number of Muslimahs wear the Burqa, the Burqa has become symbolic of Muslim women to the Western world. Before going further here are examples of Islamic apparel

Clothing.jpg~original

The Burqah is considered Sunnah for woman to wear. Not necessarily mandatory but the woman gains blessings for doing so. It has also become symbolic of the rights of Muslim woman as many insist on wearing it to show they do not consider it to be an act of oppression. Another problem is that often the ban of the Burqa is applied tp the Hijab, Al Amira Chador and Shayla. As some non-Muslims believe those are the Burqa.
This wonderfulexplanation
Why the burqa and why women are afraid to show her face
The burqa is the symbol of distinction and character to the persecution of women
And code to the bondage women
Reallyyou areWahhabiclass
Womenwithburqaswithoutidentity
Lacked rope bound and held by men
Ilaatklmmoreto preservemodesty
My friend
Chastity and honor are in apparels
I hearthis story
And some of the words I'm sorry
One dayone of the womenI spokewith her husband
She why afraid I don't betray you
But if I been unfaithful I will do and you sitting with me
The man laughed and said to her, you are lying
Anddon't you cando
How powerfully of Treasons and I'm with you
And forgot her words and her house
But those women had agreed with one of her friends or relatives
She said her
Iparkednear thetwonets
And cover my body and my ***
WhenI do it
The rain pours down.
Here thewomansaidto her husband
O AbuJassim
The rainpours down.
I want youto get outyour assfrom the net
I also drove my *** of
But your *** will rain
Eithermy asswon'tbethe rain
Here agreed to challenge
The wife's girlfriend was present
Whenyou know thatthe back ofher friendoutsidethe networks
She has covered rain
It
Here is her husband and he wondered how that happened
Here his wife said if I been unfaithful to'm and you with me
Because my girlfriend abroad which prevented rain from falling on late
To that I say
YouMuslims
Clothingis not atitleof honor
Because clothing does not represent the honor to found
Honor and fidelity
The burqa is not a guide to honor women
But evidence of their slavery to the core

Harikrish

Muslim countries where the women are forced to wear the burqa to cover their faces and camels are allowed to freely expose themselves shows how much more pleasing the camel is to the sight than the women. This is done mainly for the benefit of the tourist to spare them from carrying back unsightly memories because the local Muslim men do see their women without the burqa in their homes.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Muslim countries where the women are forced to wear the burqa to cover their faces and camels are allowed to freely expose themselves shows how much more pleasing the camel is to the sight than the women. This is done mainly for the benefit of the tourist to spare them from carrying back unsightly memories because the local Muslim men do see their women without the burqa in their homes.
What a disgusting response.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Forced burqa, hijab, or any forced clothing on women is wrong, and speaks more about the ignorance of those enforcing dress codes than of the women being forced.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
To Western sensibilities, the idea of masking women in public is extremely challenging. Respect for the culture of others must go both ways. I fully accept that women in Islamic countries should be free to wear the burqa - but Moslems migrating to Western countries do need to better understand why masking women is inappropriate and deeply offesive to the society that they have chosen to migrate to.

In Australia patting a kid on the head is a friendly gesture, but in Thailand it is very offensive. So when you go to thailand - don't pat kids on the head.

Same goes with the burka in the West.

Harikrish

It is a bit silly for Islamists men and muslim women to cover their faces so they won't be recognized by society. That is what gives they away and drones are designed to exploit that fact.
Because the majority of Muslims are illiterate. The burqa has become the symbol of uneducated illiterate Muslim women.

So what purpose are these burqa serving if only to drive Muslim men to appreciate their camels more.

seeking4truth

Has anyone noticed that most of the world is wearing shirts and trousers? The idea of adapting/adopting the culture of a place you emigrate to goes both ways. Did the Europeans adopt Native American , Indian or Australian dress. Do Europeans in Africa wear African native dress?
Everyone is free to chose what they want to wear within the laws of decency applied in each country.
The fact that some countries have higher standards of decency and modesty than others should be applauded.

Harikrish

Muslim women wearing burqas get rape as well. And it is the women in adulterous relationships that get the stoning. Young girls get mutilated for going to school. Camels are treated better!!!