• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burning The Stars and Stripes.........

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
http://www.usa-flag-site.org/history.shtml

"For more than 200 years, the American flag has been the symbol of our nation's strength and unity. It's been a source of pride and inspiration for millions of citizens. And it has been a prominent icon in our national history. Here are the highlights of its unique past"
Does this still apply ? - I get the feeling of a phase of disappointment,of unrest; is that because of the way the Country is being run ?:)

turk179

I smell something....
michel said:
http://www.usa-flag-site.org/history.shtml

"For more than 200 years, the American flag has been the symbol of our nation's strength and unity. It's been a source of pride and inspiration for millions of citizens. And it has been a prominent icon in our national history. Here are the highlights of its unique past"
Does this still apply ? - I get the feeling of a phase of disappointment,of unrest; is that because of the way the Country is being run ?:)
My disappointment lies with the government. Not with the flag. I still believe in everything that the flag stands for. That has never diminished.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Burning the flag has been an extreme form of freedom of speech in a political protest for a while. It's not a new thing. It's meant to shock and offend and get attention, to make powerful point, that's why it's done.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I can understand that - maybe our culture here is more heavily dependent on symbolism.:)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Sabio said:
Because it is a symbol of our liberty and freedom,
And therein lays a Catch 22 thing . You talk about Freedom , but would deny those with other opinions their freedom to express their opinion ? Sounds as wrong to me as burning the flag . One is symbolic , the other is an actual limitation of those freedoms .

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I was just looking at your signature, Kreeden "I walk the long path alone, my feet hurt " - I'm not surprized, the way you have to keep walking round and round your avatar.........:biglaugh:

ChrisP

Veteran Member
kreeden said:
And therein lays a Catch 22 thing . You talk about Freedom , but would deny those with other opinions their freedom to express their opinion ? Sounds as wrong to me as burning the flag . One is symbolic , the other is an actual limitation of those freedoms .
Perhaps those who choose to burn the flag do so because they believe that it no longer represents the values it once did such as freedom?

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
lol Michel . :)

Actually the words are taken from a song by K-os . The song questions religion and spirituality , but it does so in a way that makes one think ... and asks very good questions . Oh , the name of the song is " The Man I Use To Be ".

Hmmm , it seems that I misquoted the song ...

" I walk along this path alone, my feet hurt
Lost some friends along the way, I did dirt
I went to church, I tried everything
From leaving my body, to watching the birds sing
For hours, so I could feel heavenly powers
Had been across the universe and inside of flowers
But what is it worth, i'm still just a man on the earth "

Oh well . :) I guess that I like the way that the song points out that it all really doesn't make any difference at all , if it doesn't have an effect on our lifes here and now .

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
SnaleSpace said:
Perhaps those who choose to burn the flag do so because they believe that it no longer represents the values it once did such as freedom?
Couldn't say for sure , but that would be my guess . Personally I continue to be amazed at how many tend to think Freedom only aplies to their defination of the word . Which of course would not be freedom at all , or a limited freedom ...

Limited Freedom ? Now there is a concept .

Draka

Wonder Woman
It makes me think about symbols I tell you. Why do we put so much behind symbols? Are symbols good? Yes. Can you revere them too much and get lost in the reason for them in the first place? Yes again. It gets to the point that we idolize the symbol as a part of what it represents, it isn't, it is a symbol. It is what it represents that we should revere the most...not a peice of fabric or a peice of metal or jewelry. Should these things be destroyed just as a way of spiting people, probably not, but should we get all up in arms about it? Probably not either...because that is playing into their hands...the ones that do it that is.

To some the flag is very important and is a symbol close to their hearts, just as a cross is sacred to some. The KKK burning crosses...wrong...but if you retaliate it only encourages them...same for flag burners.

While I can never see myself ever buring a flag in protest, I cannot even get into it myself. People will do what they want to express themselves and as long as they are not inflicting harm on people physically then I guess we should let them...better than the alternative. While I'm sure my great grandfather didn't appreciate the cross burning in his front yard by the KKK...it was better than what they could have done physically to him. People want to strike against symbols...ok, whatever,... better than people.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Actually Draka , our minds see the world as a series of symbols . Everything is a symbol . The words we speak are symbols , the thoughts we think ... So by striking out at symbols , we are actually striking out at something very fundamental in our mental make-up .

Yea , I know that you were refering to symbols on a different level , but yes they are very important .

Ulver

Cynic said:
To make the burning of the flag illegal, is a contradiction of the freedom of speech. But at the same time, it's a little offensive to me.

People wearing swastikas on their arms and giving the salute to Hitler I find very offensive, yet I don't think a person should be thrown in jail for having Nazi paraphernalia.

Personally I don't think burning the flag is the best form of protest. Using an effigy of the President as a urinal sounds more appealing to me.

Cynic

Ulver said:
Using an effigy of the President as a urinal sounds more appealing to me.
That might get you into trouble.

Anyways, being thrown in jail for burning the flag is... maybe borderline extreme. Well there are much worse things a person can do to their country, in contrast to just burning a flag.