• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burning for Eternity?

Fatmop

Jesus dies for our sins so that we wouldn't have to go to hell.
I hear that a lot.

Why go to all the trouble of dying for our sins, but then saving only those of us who happen to believe a particular way?

To put it differently, why would God send virtuous people who do not believe in Him - or people who believe in another god - to hell? Why is Gandhi in hell?

Dayv

Yeah, that's kind of like the whole free-will thing. He gave us free will (supposedly), but yet we have to do and believe as he says.

Aqualung

Tasty
He only died for our sins if we accept his sacrafice. He died because no matter how hard we try, we will still sin, so what would be the point if there was no sacrifice? But, after we do all we can do, we will still be "dirty." That's where Jesus comes in. He's not a free ticket to do whatever we want, he's just there because we won't be good enough. But, we have to try. IT's not free.

Scott1

Fatmop said:
I hear that a lot.
Ummm... not really, but I know what you are getting at.
Why go to all the trouble of dying for our sins, but then saving only those of us who happen to believe a particular way?
Not all Christians believe this... about a BILLION of us Roman Catholics, for instance.:D
To put it differently, why would God send virtuous people who do not believe in Him - or people who believe in another god - to hell? Why is Gandhi in hell?
Again, I don't know if you just want to chat with evangelical Christians who might believe in this, but we don't... in fact, we don't profess to know that ANYONE is in hell.... Ghandi might very well be in heaven, and with my faith in the divine mercy of God, I would bet on it.:D

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Scott1 said:
Ummm... not really, but I know what you are getting at.
Not all Christians believe this... about a BILLION of us Roman Catholics, for instance.:D
Again, I don't know if you just want to chat with evangelical Christians who might believe in this, but we don't... in fact, we don't profess to know that ANYONE is in hell.... Ghandi might very well be in heaven, and with my faith in the divine mercy of God, I would bet on it.:D
Hi Scott!

Every opportunity I've had of actually discussing Catholicism with Catholics, I tend to end up debating the merits of Crusades, inquisitions and returning Jews to Nazi Germany: which as I've grown is something about which I am now ashamed.

I was hoping you could provide me with scripture with commentary that will Clarify the Catholic Churches standpoint on Purgatory in particular, also the role of Angels and the role of Clergy above Bishops, but below the Pope (Cardinals and Archdiocesan Cardinals).

jonny

Add 12 Million Mormons to that.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Fatmop said:
I hear that a lot.

You're right. There would be no point whatsoever to His having made this sacrifice.

To put it differently, why would God send virtuous people who do not believe in Him - or people who believe in another god - to hell?
He won't.
Why is Gandhi in hell?
He isn't.

wild20

Your question is good fatmop. I mean, it seems reasonable doesn't it? Go came down here, and died for all our sins, so why won't we all be there? Let me help you understand. I give a you a gift card, it has a 3 month exp. date on it. I have given this gift to you, it is your decision if you want to spend it or not. I can't make you spend it, but if you don't, you will never get the benefit. God sent His Son to die for all our sins. But you have to accept it. He doesn't force it on you. Satan would be justified if God made all people spend eternity with Him, He would be unfair and never give anyone a choice. If people want to be able to spend eternity with God, then they have to accept it. Very simple principle really, have a great day,
-Wild20