• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhists, is this true?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
From another thread ...

"And another teaching of Buddha’s is for His followers to turn to Baha’u’llah when He comes and I have remained faithful to that. He called Baha’u’llah ‘AmitAbha Buddha. Abha is a derivative of Bahá. Buddha said to turn to Him when He appears and I have done that."

I am curious as to what Buddhists think of this. Is it true?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
From another thread ...

"And another teaching of Buddha’s is for His followers to turn to Baha’u’llah when He comes and I have remained faithful to that. He called Baha’u’llah ‘AmitAbha Buddha. Abha is a derivative of Bahá. Buddha said to turn to Him when He appears and I have done that."

It is only true if you believe in the Baha'i Faith,

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
From another thread ...

Assuming you mean Gautama Buddha, that's incredibly unlikely as he lived over 2000 years ago and Bah'u'llah died a smidgen over 100 years ago. So it would be a no.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
you can't be both the Amitaba Buddha and the reincarnation of Jesus Christ

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
From another thread ...

I would call this false statement, but what Buddha did say is that in the future there will come a new Buddha with the name Maitreya, but to my knowlede this has not yet happend.

amitabha to my knowledge is a buddha in Pure Land buddhism, But amitabha Is not buddha sakyamuni (historical buddha)

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
you can't be both the Amitaba Buddha and the reincarnation of Jesus Christ

You actually do understand the concept of the relationship between the different religions in the Baha'i Faith as progressive revelation. All are independent Manifestations of the 'Source' some call Gods.They are related by Progressive Revelation. over the cyclic evolving spiritual nature of humanity.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I would call this false statement, but what Buddha did say is that in the future there will come a new Buddha with the name Maitreya, but to my knowledge this has not yet happened.
Of course, false to you just as pretty much all ancient religions reject all other religions,

amitabha to my knowledge is a buddha in Pure Land buddhism, But amitabha Is not buddha sakyamuni (historical buddha)

Yes, that is what many Buddhists believe,

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Of course, false to you just as pretty much all ancient religions reject all other religions,

Yes, that is what many Buddhists believe,
I do not reject other religions, but find it important to inform what buddhism is, and in the OP the questions was toward us Buddhists. But in general i do not say Baha'ì is a wrong teaching.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Thanks. But that's not what was said. It was claimed by a Baha'i that Buddhists believe this. So you're disagreeing with that?

In the quote I do not see that it says other Buddhists believe the statement made. It appears the one making the statement does.

I can say it is another teaching of Christ that his followers turn toward the Glory of God, Baha'u'llah. Christ has said this and I have remained Faithful to that.

I have not said all Christains will beleive and have said that.

Regards Tony

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I do not reject other religions,

As a matter of fact in the nature of the claims of different religions, you in fact do.

. . . but find it important to inform what buddhism is, and in the OP the questions was toward us Buddhists. But in general i do not say Baha'ì is a wrong teaching.

As every follower of each religion informs the other believers of different religions of their belief,

. . . and of course like the sky is Carolina blue at noon on a clear day on the 4th of July it is true they reject the claims of other religions as false teachings..

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Buddhism is not a messianic type religion revolving around the deification of any person.

If it was, you would essentially be looking at Hinduism in Buddhist drag.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
As a matter of fact in the nature of the claims of different religions, you in fact do.

As every follower of each religion informs the other believers of different religions of their belief,

. . . and of course like the sky is Carolina blue at noon on a clear day on the 4th of July it is true reject the claims of other religions as false teachings..
I do not clame other religions to be fake. The thing i answer on was if the statment in the OP was Buddhism or not, and it does not belong to buddhism, BUT if that is what Bah'i believe i will not deny them their right to believe their teaching. ofcourse

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
My post was taken out of context with the relevant Buddhist scriptures supporting my argument being omitted.

Here is what was omitted and it is from Buddhist scriptures.

Ananda said to the Buddha, 'Who shall teach us when You are gone?' And the Buddha advised him to regard His Teaching as the Master.

The Buddha continued again:' I am not the first Buddha to come upon earth; nor shall I be the last. In due time, another Buddha will arise in this world, a Holy One, a Supremely Enlightened One, endowed with wisdom, in conduct auspicious, knowing the universe, an incomparable leader of men, a master of devas and men. He will reveal to you the same Eternal Truths which I have taught you. He will proclaim a religious life, wholly perfect and pure; such as I now proclaim.'

'How shall we know him?' asked Ananda. The Buddha replied, 'He will be known as Maitreya
which means kindness or friendliness.

What Buddhists Believe - The Future Buddha

When Ananda asks ‘Who shall teach us when You are gone?’ Buddha refers them to the future Buddha Who will one day appear.

So according to the explicit text if I was a Buddhist and the new Buddha appeared I would be expected to turn to Him to teach me as the Buddha told Ananda right?

Other sects know the future Buddha as ‘AmitAbha’ which is a dervitave of ‘Baha’ therefore it is my belief it refers to Baha’u’llah.But I also believe spiritually He fits Buddha’s description perfectly..

But the onus as far as I can see is on all Buddhists to accept the future Buddha according to the discussion between Ananda and Buddha in the Buddhist texts.

Christians too have such a duty to accept Christ. I believe these prophecies regarding a Promised One is referring to One and the same Person.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I do not claim other religions to be fake.

That's a dodge big time, because if the claims of any one of the ancient is true the others are false, and of course the claims of the Baha'i Faith would be false.

The thing i answer on was if the statement in the OP was Buddhism or not, and it does not belong to buddhism,

This is obvious before you even posted the thread.

BUT if that is what Baha'i believe i will not deny them their right to believe their teaching. of course

How nice of you.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
From another thread ...

You’ve taken this out of context. There were Buddhist texts included which explain the context.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Buddhism is not a messianic type religion revolving around the deification of any person.

I notice all those gold (sometimes jade and often huge) statues of Buddha all over the Buddhist world

If it was, you would essentially be looking at Hinduism in Buddhist drag.

Actually Hinduism in saffron robes, and gold Buddhas. The Buddhist temples in China commonly or actually most temples have statues of Hindu Gods.