• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhist Wisdom

Lotus Jewel

Student of the Shakyamuni
Basically, this thread is for sharing any portion of sutta/sutra text that you personally find beneficial, or insightful at this moment. It may also be that you think someone else could find it beneficial or insightful.

It would also be appropriate to share quotes from various Buddhist authors in this space, as well as teachings given by a monk or nun. Quoted text, inspirational memes, audio, or video would be welcome.

Lotus Jewel

'Might all sentient beings quickly attain happiness and the causes of happiness. Might all sentient beings quickly be freed from suffering and the causes of suffering. Might all sentient beings remain not separated from joy. Might they all be peaceful and free, and exist together without prejudice, greed, or wrath'

Four Immeasurables Chant (I like to call it: a Buddhist's wish)

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
For me, Kesamutti Sutta Kesamutti Sutta - Wikipedia which put me on the road to discovery:
  • Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing (anussava),
  • nor upon tradition (paramparā),
  • nor upon rumor (itikirā),
  • nor upon what is in a scripture (piṭaka-sampadāna)
  • nor upon surmise (takka-hetu),
  • nor upon an axiom (naya-hetu),
  • nor upon specious reasoning (ākāra-parivitakka),
  • nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over (diṭṭhi-nijjhān-akkh-antiyā),
  • nor upon another's seeming ability (bhabba-rūpatāya),
  • nor upon the consideration, The monk is our teacher (samaṇo no garū)
  • Kalamas, when you yourselves know: "These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness," enter on and abide in them."

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
For me, Kesamutti Sutta Kesamutti Sutta - Wikipedia which put me on the road to discovery:
  • Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing (anussava),
  • nor upon tradition (paramparā),
  • nor upon rumor (itikirā),
  • nor upon what is in a scripture (piṭaka-sampadāna)
  • nor upon surmise (takka-hetu),
  • nor upon an axiom (naya-hetu),
  • nor upon specious reasoning (ākāra-parivitakka),
  • nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over (diṭṭhi-nijjhān-akkh-antiyā),
  • nor upon another's seeming ability (bhabba-rūpatāya),
  • nor upon the consideration, The monk is our teacher (samaṇo no garū)
  • Kalamas, when you yourselves know: "These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness," enter on and abide in them."
This sutta, known as the Kalama Sutta in the West, is a real jewel.

It goes on to show how the above tactics are often employed by those whose minds have been overcome by the three poisons or the three unwholesome roots of green hatred, and delusion. It also goes on the describe how the four immeasurables can shine through once the three unwholesome roots have been cleared from ones mind. Finally, it has the four solaces (sorta like the Buddhist Pascal's wager) which shows there are only positive outcomes resulting from overcoming the three poisons.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Basically, this thread is for sharing any portion of sutta/sutra text that you personally find beneficial, or insightful at this moment. It may also be that you think someone else could find it beneficial or insightful.

It would also be appropriate to share quotes from various Buddhist authors in this space, as well as teachings given by a monk or nun. Quoted text, inspirational memes, audio, or video would be welcome.
I find the Heart Sutra to be the embodiment of Buddhism.

Summed up perfectly with a strike of a bell.

Yazata

Dutthatthaka Sutta Sn 4.03​

Translation by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

There are some who dispute
corrupted at heart,
and those who dispute
their hearts set on truth,
but a sage doesn’t enter
a dispute that’s arisen,
which is why he is
nowhere constrained.

Now, how would one
led on by desire,
entrenched in his likes,
forming his own conclusions,
overcome his own views?
He’d dispute in line
with the way that he knows.

Whoever boasts to others, unasked,
of his practices, precepts,
is, say the skilled,
ignoble by nature —
he who speaks of himself
of his own accord.

But a monk at peace,
fully unbound in himself,
who doesn’t boast of his precepts
— “That’s how I am” —
he, say the skilled,
is noble by nature —
he with no vanity
with regard to the world.

One whose doctrines aren’t clean —
fabricated, formed, given preference
when he sees it to his own advantage —
relies on a peace
dependent
on what can be shaken.

Because entrenchments in views
aren’t easily overcome
when considering what’s grasped
among doctrines,
that’s why
a person embraces or rejects a doctrine —
in light of these very
entrenchments.

Now, one who is cleansed
has no preconceived view
about states of becoming
or not-
anywhere in the world.
Having abandoned conceit & illusion,
by what means would he go?
He isn’t involved.

For one who’s involved
gets into disputes
over doctrines,
but how — in connection with what —
would you argue
with one uninvolved?
He has nothing
embraced or rejected,
has sloughed off every view
right here — every one.

Lotus Jewel

LIFE is a good teacher and a good friend. Things are always in transition, if we could only realize it. Nothing ever sums itself up in the way that we like to dream about. The off-center, in-between state is an ideal situation, a situation in which we don’t get caught and we can open our hearts and minds beyond limit. It’s a very tender, nonaggressive, open-ended state of affairs.
-Pema Chodron

I feel like I have to add at this juncture that I've found Pema Chodron very challenging to my practice in a good way.

Pema Chodron is one of the only Buddhist authors who I've seen challenge readers to get down in the dirt with Buddhism as it were and do the hard work. All too often, Buddhism is presented as a pain-numbing salve, or as a way of staying fixed in a happy place.

Pema Chodron frequently challenges readers to engage with our pain, fear, and aversion toward others, in order to open ourselves up for ever-new transformation in our practice.

Last edited:

Lotus Jewel

“Therefore, Mālunkyāputta, remember what I have left undeclared as undeclared, and remember what I have declared as declared. And what have I left undeclared? ‘The world is eternal’—I have left undeclared. ‘The world is not eternal’—I have left undeclared. ‘The world is finite’—I have left undeclared. ‘The world is infinite’—I have left undeclared. ‘The soul is the same as the body’—I have left undeclared. ‘The soul is one thing and the body another’—I have left undeclared. ‘After death a Tathāgata exists’—I have left undeclared. ‘After death a Tathāgata does not exist’—I have left undeclared. ‘After death a Tathāgata both exists and does not exist’—I have left undeclared. ‘After death a Tathāgata neither exists nor does not exist’—I have left undeclared.

“Why have I left that undeclared? Because it is unbeneficial, it does not belong to the fundamentals of the holy life, it does not lead to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to peace, to direct knowledge, to enlightenment, to Nibbāna. That is why I have left it undeclared.

“And what have I declared? ‘This is suffering’—I have declared. ‘This is the origin of suffering’—I have declared. ‘This is the cessation of suffering’—I have declared. ‘This is the way leading to the cessation of suffering’—I have declared.

“Why have I declared that? Because it is beneficial, it belongs to the fundamentals of the holy life, it leads to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to peace, to direct knowledge, to enlightenment, to Nibbāna. That is why I have declared it.

“Therefore, Mālunkyāputta, remember what I have left undeclared as undeclared, and remember what I have declared as declared.”

-Shorter Malunkya Discourse from the Majjhima Nikaya, translated by Bhikkhu Bodhi

a translation of the lesser Malunkya discourse - provided by Access to Insight

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I'm sure I would not pass muster as a Buddhist. That said, Buddhist ideas have had a profound and positive impact on my life.

When I think of Buddhism, what comes to mind is this: "The root of suffering, is attachment".

I've spent years - more off than on - meditating on that idea, and trying to keep it in mind as I go through life. Honestly, I think that if the only thing Buddhism had to offer was that idea, Buddhism would be a wonderful force in the world. :)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm sure I would not pass muster as a Buddhist. That said, Buddhist ideas have had a profound and positive impact on my life.

When I think of Buddhism, what comes to mind is this: "The root of suffering, is attachment".

I've spent years - more off than on - meditating on that idea, and trying to keep it in mind as I go through life. Honestly, I think that if the only thing Buddhism had to offer was that idea, Buddhism would be a wonderful force in the world. :)
I tend to think everyone is Buddhist weither they like it or not. ;0P

Lotus Jewel

I find the Heart Sutra to be the embodiment of Buddhism.

Summed up perfectly with a strike of a bell.

'Also, there is no ignorance, and no ending of ignorance. There is no suffering, no end of suffering, no truth about suffering, no stopping, no path, no wisdom, and no attainment whatsoever.

Having nothing to be attained, the practitioner relying on the wisdom that leads to the other shore has no hindrances in the mind. No hindrances, so nothing to fear. They go beyond endless concepts and imaginings and see Nirvana.'

=-=-=-=-=

Personally, I've always found the line of the Heart Sutra that declares there is no truth about suffering to be incredibly profound. It is one of the most profound statements in Buddhist literature for me.

Suffering is one of those things that humans invest with such a magnetism and a reality, as though there were a truth to be grasped about it. As though suffering had some great truth to it, or some magnificently great reason for existing.

I'm not sure that I yet understand the full profoundness of the statement that there is no truth about suffering, but I find it profound nonetheless, and I find myself returning to it.

I also wonder if the full meaning doesn't include the thought that there doesn't need to be a great cosmic reason for suffering.

Last edited:

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
“People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar.”― Thich Nhat Hanh

“Because you are alive, everything is possible.”― Thich Nhat Hanh

“Breathing in, I calm body and mind. Breathing out, I smile. Dwelling in the present moment I know this is the only moment.”― Thich Nhat Hanh

“Keeping your body healthy is an expression of gratitude to the whole cosmos — the trees, the clouds, everything.”― Thich Nhat Hanh

“People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don’t even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child—our own two eyes. All is a miracle.”― Thich Nhat Hanh

ajay0

As long as we are human, we are bound to make mistakes. We all fall prey to flawed beliefs and views. What separates a forward-looking person from an intransigent one, a virtuous person from a malevolent one, however, is whether one can candidly admit to ones mistakes and take bold steps to redress them. ~ Daisaku Ikeda

If we do not control our minds with our Buddha nature, do not practice seriously, are not honest to ourselves and do not examine our behaviors strictly, we will definitely be possessed by Maya. Being possessed does not necessary mean that we become delirious or our faces become horribly distorted. When we do not walk on the right path, we will be walking on Maya's path. ~ Ching Hai

ajay0

Life is available only in the present. That is why we should walk in such a way that every step can bring us to the here and the now. ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

When we are mindful, deeply in touch with the present moment, our understanding of what is going on deepens, and we begin to be filled with acceptance, joy, peace and love. ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

Mindfulness helps you to touch the wonders of life for self-nourishment and healing. ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

The present moment is filled with joy and happiness. If you are attentive, you will see it. ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth, dwelling deeply in the present moment and feeling truly alive. ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

There is no need to run, strive, search or struggle. Just be. Just being in the moment in this place is the deepest practice of meditation. Most people cannot believe that just walking as if you have nowhere to go is enough. ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
"The true hero is one who conquers his own anger and hatred. - Dalai Lama

"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito - Dalai Lama

ajay0

Awareness is like the sun. When it shines on things, they are transformed. ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

Our mindfulness will take care of everything, as the sunshine takes care of the vegetation. The sunshine doesn't seem to do much … but it transforms everything. ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

ajay0

Meditation is the process by which we go about deepening our attention and awareness, refining them, and putting them to greater practical use in our lives. ~ Jon Kabat-Zinn

The natural quality of mind is clear, awake, alert, and knowing. Free from fixation. By training in being present, we come to know the nature of our mind. So the more you train in being present - being right here - the more you begin to feel like your mind is sharpening up. The mind that can come back to the present is clearer and more refreshed, and it can better weather all the ambiguities, pains, and paradoxes of life. ~ Pema Chodron

The more the attention is trained on the present, the more we are able to break the habit of being dragged around by compulsions and distractions—the mind constantly creating scenarios for the future, rewriting the past, being lost in distracted thought, or subjected to incessant reams of thinking. Most of us here have had those times where it seems like nothing can make the mind stop. It just goes on and on and on and on and on. The capacity to focus in meditation has a lot to do with learning how to think when we choose to think, and learning how not to think when we choose not to. ~ Jon Kabat-Zinn ( The Mind's Own Physician: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama on the Healing Power of Meditation)