• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddhism on intuition

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Actually, I think a great deal depends on a very close and exact definition of what intuition is or is not for the purposes of the discussion. Especially since that particular term (intuition) is not one that is used in Buddhism, without a clear and close definition of what intuition is or is not (for the purposes of this specific discussion, anyway) it is really hard to decide whether or not the Buddha's teachings cover this subject.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Another thing is that in buddhism we shouldn't worry too much on "random thoughts". In Zen buddhism when u are meditating u should avoid all "random thoughts" and I suppose intuition is a kind of a "random thought" meaning intution is pretty much useless in terms of attaining enlightenment. What do u guys think?
I would take it as a weakness. Do they want you to think only on the prescribed lines? That would be indoctrination. Some of the 'random' thoughts are the most useful. Archimedes' 'Eureka', Newton's apple, even Buddha's middle way. It is so unscientific in otherwise commendable Buddhism that it accepts 'seeding' by experience encountered in a previous life, and to credit 'intuition' to that.

niranjan

regarding the subject of intuition in buddhism. I think it's to do with the experiences one encountered in this and previous lifes. I think there are teachings in buddhism (I am not sure here; need verification from other buddhists in the forum) that suggest our mind is "seeded" to some degree by the experience we encountered in the previous lifes. And this expereice would create what we call intuition.

Another thing is that in buddhism we shouldn't worry too much on "random thoughts". In Zen buddhism when u are meditating u should avoid all "random thoughts" and I suppose intuition is a kind of a "random thought" meaning intution is pretty much useless in terms of attaining enlightenment. What do u guys think?

I believe you may be confusing the subconscious with the superconscious. The subconscious deals with instincts, while the superconscious deals with intuitions.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Random thoughts belong to superconsciousness, reflexes are subconsciousness. I am an atheist and consciousness for me does not mean anything related to God or Atma. These are brain processes.

vandervalley

I believe you may be confusing the subconscious with the superconscious. The subconscious deals with instincts, while the superconscious deals with intuitions.

It's not important whether intuition belong to the superconscious or subconscious.

The important thing is that from what I learnt in Buddha Dharma; we rarely touch on subjects that are not central or helpful for eventual enlightenment; and I think intuition really has little to do with enlightenment. Maybe u should consult with a monk or nun in your local buddhist temple and see what they say on intuition.

would take it as a weakness. Do they want you to think only on the prescribed lines? That would be indoctrination. Some of the 'random' thoughts are the most useful. Archimedes' 'Eureka', Newton's apple, even Buddha's middle way. It is so unscientific in otherwise commendable Buddhism that it accepts 'seeding' by experience encountered in a previous life, and to credit 'intuition' to that.

Intution may have helped Newton and other guys in inventing or "discovering" new stuff for the better of the human kind; there is no doubt on that. However; in Buddhism we mainly focus on how to get out of this suffering cycle of death or rebirth and i doubt intution can help in achieving that goal; unless u can give me an example of intution helping some1 reaching buddhahood.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The greatest example is of Buddha himself. What does Bodhi means? Awakening. How much time did Buddha take to awaken? One moment. It was an intuition. It may take long to prepare for it. It took Buddha six years of searching and 49 days of thinking. But when it came, it took and takes one moment, and he said 'I have realized'. So this spark of realization, this understanding, this intuition, I think is important for Buddhists.

niranjan

It's not important whether intuition belong to the superconscious or subconscious.

The important thing is that from what I learnt in Buddha Dharma; we rarely touch on subjects that are not central or helpful for eventual enlightenment; and I think intuition really has little to do with enlightenment. Maybe u should consult with a monk or nun in your local buddhist temple and see what they say on intuition.

Enlightenment in itself is a perfect state of intuition. There are no thoughts, only intuitions.

vandervalley

Enlightenment in itself is a perfect state of intuition. There are no thoughts, only intuitions

IF what u said is correct then the whole Buddha Dharma is about intuition.

The reason being u said that enlightenment itself is a form of intuition and Buddha Darma is supposed to help people reaching enlightenment.

The greatest example is of Buddha himself. What does Bodhi means? Awakening. How much time did Buddha take to awaken? One moment. It was an intuition. It may take long to prepare for it. It took Buddha six years of searching and 49 days of thinking.

Then wouldn't u agree that intuition is somehow based on our past memories or experiences. Since u said that intuition took only one moment but it may have took a long time to prepare for it.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We have to abandon our past memories and experiences (in that way they are useful, what to get away from), jettison prejudices, but awakening itself is a koan, IMHV, takes an instant. (If you have not noticed, I am a hindu)

niranjan

IF what u said is correct then the whole Buddha Dharma is about intuition. .

All religion is about accessing the superconscious state, and finding the truth through intuition. And the intuition of the enlightened master or the buddha, is the greatest state that intuition can achieve.

The reason being u said that enlightenment itself is a form of intuition and Buddha Darma is supposed to help people reaching enlightenment..

Enlightenment, the perpetual state of the no-mind, is the state where intuitions are at its peak.

Yes. buddha dharma is about helping people to achieve that state.

vandervalley

All religion is about accessing the superconscious state, and finding the truth through intuition. And the intuition of the enlightened master or the buddha, is the greatest state that intuition can achieve.

Enlightenment, the perpetual state of the no-mind, is the state where intuitions are at its peak.

Good!! So the question in the opening post is answered.

:D

niranjan

Good!! So the question in the opening post is answered.

:D

Ludicrous. I have asked in the OP for quotations or teachings of the Buddha on intuition, in his own words. I have not got them yet.

Look Vandervalley, the Buddha talks about the importance of reasoning and logic. It appears u don't employ them very well. That would make u a bad buddhist. :rolleyes:

vandervalley

Ludicrous. I have asked in the OP for quotations or teachings of the Buddha on intuition,

ok so u r looking for buddhist teachings on the topic of intuition, right?

If i remember correctly, u quoted:

From your quote it seems you agree that buddha dharma IS the teaching for intuition.

Since Buddha Dharma comes from words of Buddha; u have ur answer to the OP.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Ludicrous. I have asked in the OP for quotations or teachings of the Buddha on intuition, in his own words. I have not got them yet.
Niranjan -

Respectfully, and for at least the third time - you aren't going to get quotations or teachings of the Buddha relating to intuition. HE DID NOT USE THAT WORD! My personal belief is that this is a late nineteenth to twenty-first century concept that had no direct analogue in India in 500 BCE - and so without some directly correlating concept or term, there are just not any teachings or quotations to give you. I'm sorry, but I can't rewrite history for you.

Random

IN-tuition is a construct of the language we use: it is meant to mean those feelings, thoughts and ideations that occur to all human beings without seeming to come from any source, like information loaded into our brain-minds in the womb.

Which is what it is.

I believe you'll find that Buddha would have considered the natural world and the one percievable to our intellects as reflections of one another perhaps...

vandervalley

Niranjan -

Respectfully, and for at least the third time - you aren't going to get quotations or teachings of the Buddha relating to intuition. HE DID NOT USE THAT WORD! My personal belief is that this is a late nineteenth to twenty-first century concept that had no direct analogue in India in 500 BCE - and so without some directly correlating concept or term, there are just not any teachings or quotations to give you. I'm sorry, but I can't rewrite history for you.

Agreed :yes:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Niranjan: People mostly are in the state of no-mind all the time. If it is morning, get or prepare brekfast, get dressed, rush for your job, sparr with your co-workers, return home, have dinner, help children in their studies, chat with your wife, sleep. Women also follow nearly the same routine with a little more emphasis on kitchen work. People have a mind but would not apply it for anything other than the routine. They would be oblivious of many other things. That, I suppose, is the state of no-mind.

Random: Does not Buddhism sort of denies it all with Indra's net?

vandervalley

Niranjan: People mostly are in the state of no-mind all the time. If it is morning, get or prepare brekfast, get dressed, rush for your job, sparr with your co-workers, return home, have dinner, help children in their studies, chat with your wife, sleep. Women also follow nearly the same routine with a little more emphasis on kitchen work. People have a mind but would not apply it for anything other than the routine. They would be oblivious of many other things. That, I suppose, is the state of no-mind.

I think in buddhism no mind = no thoughts or desires of any kind whatsoever.

when u chat to people u are still thinking damn what am i going to say next etc. This is NOT no-mind or no desires

another example: when u get up to dress in the morning; u might be thinking; wait what am i going to wear today? Again this is NOT "no mind" or no desires

Random: Does not Buddhism sort of denies it all with Indra's net?

Indra's net? what's that?