• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brave Mouse Problem

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
You oughta get ten cats. Any mouse problems will be quite temporary.
I've got rid of my mice using peanut-butter traps and now keep them away using smells they don't like. I've found that they absolutely scurry from the smell of any kind of mint.

By-the-way cats probably hate the smell of mint, citrus, rosemary, thyme, banana, mustard and eucalyptus. These smells might activate some strange behavior from them, such as an urge to escape out the door, possibly leave you forever and never write. 9 Smells That Cats HATE - Excited Cats

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've got rid of my mice using peanut-butter traps and now keep them away using smells they don't like. I've found that they absolutely scurry from the smell of any kind of mint.

By-the-way cats probably hate the smell of mint, citrus, rosemary, thyme, banana, mustard and eucalyptus. These smells might activate some strange behavior from them, such as an urge to escape out the door, possibly leave you forever and never write. 9 Smells That Cats HATE - Excited Cats
Fussy cats....

I don't think there's any smell my cats really care about.

Well, for the most part. I burped in Lucky's face last night, and believe me, he was offended.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
You oughta get ten cats. Any mouse problems will be quite temporary.
Or just one female. The best mousers I've had have always been females, the males have been curious at best or just want to play with it.

Though I try to get to it before it's more than stunned; if I can I'll scoop it up in something and take it some distance and release it. They don't backtrack or anything, they always bolt off.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Or just one female. The best mousers I've had have always been females, the males have been curious at best or just want to play with it.

Though I try to get to it before it's more than stunned; if I can I'll scoop it up in something and take it some distance and release it. They don't backtrack or anything, they always bolt off.
I've got three females; only Kore seems to care about actually catching a mouse. The boys usually go for it, and then they all move as a herd as its taken downstairs(house rule, mice go downstairs). I would prefer to rescue it, but they're usually too beat up by that time...

I had a female cat growing up that caught my escaped pet mouse and brought her back to me completely unharmed. She had the very motherly attitude of "you need to keep your toys picked up".

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
I've got three females; only Kore seems to care about actually catching a mouse. The boys usually go for it, and then they all move as a herd as its taken downstairs(house rule, mice go downstairs). I would prefer to rescue it, but they're usually too beat up by that time...

I had a female cat growing up that caught my escaped pet mouse and brought her back to me completely unharmed. She had the very motherly attitude of "you need to keep your toys picked up".
IDK, my females have been killers. I remember one Christmas, I was up late making a gingerbread house for a younger sib and our female cat sat stone-still for over an hour, staring intently at one corner next to the sink. She wouldn't even acknowledge me when I called her. Then suddenly she dove in a flash at the corner and turned around with a mouse in her mouth. She looked at me then ran off to the basement with it. There was rarely anything to save after that cat got to them.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Cats know who is "family". I've heard other stories of cats catching escaped pet bird unharmed, also.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Fussy cats....

I don't think there's any smell my cats really care about.

Well, for the most part. I burped in Lucky's face last night, and believe me, he was offended.

Smells?

The most obnoxious smelling cat food is a delight to my cats.

All of them like the smell of lavender.

Any food on human plates always smells good to cats. Well i assume that by the crowd that gathers when dining.

And for some reason, fresh split logs always gathers a few to leave their scent on.

The only mouse problem we have is when Loki beings one in to play with.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Perhaps an escaped pet mouse who is used to human. You could ask neighbours if anyone has lost one

Or

You can buy non lethal traps, basically a box with an automatic door. A dab of peanut butter inside will tempt the mouse in and close the door. Mice have a lousy sense of direction so take it a short walk away and let it go
Correction ... long walk. Mice have a homing instinct, good for at least a mile.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Correction ... long walk. Mice have a homing instinct, good for at least a mile.

I've never had a return mouse after dropping it off in the field up the lane. Which is why i said that.

I've just read it's up to 2 miles, amazing.