• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

boycott citgo?

kateyes

At the time Pres. Chavez made his speech to the United Nations--I pretty much decided not to purchase gas at Citgo (the company is owned by the Government of Venezuela). I pondered a thread on the topic--but rather than risk the ire of our America bashing members--I decided not to. Then this headline appeared on MSNBC today and I decided to see how others felt.

7-Eleven dropping Citgo as its gasoline supplier

Chavez's anti-Bush comments prompted move to drop Venezuelan supplier.....

The rest of the story can be found here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15030988/

Capt. Haddock

Evil Mouse
I can understand boycotting a company because it is involved in unethical or unsavoury business practices, but boycotting a company because of it's shareholder's big mouth seems about as over-the-top as Chavez's little diatribe at the UN.

Opinions are like backsides: Chavez is entitled to his. Who cares what Chavez has to say, anyway? It's not the first time somebody has grandstanded at the UN General Assembly, nor will it be the last. Chavez's brother-in-hot-air Castro has been singing that tune for years already and nobody takes him seriously anymore. Chavez's novelty value will wear off in due course.

Citgo is not the only company that sells Venezuelan oil. Much of the oil pumped at other filling stations comes from venezuela too, so Chavez gets his money anyway.

If Chavez was a serious threat, the US would embargo his oil just like they embargoed Iran's. If they aren't doing it, it's for a reason. The reason is that Chavez and all his flamboyant rhetoric don't amount to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things.

Booko

Deviled Hen
kateyes said:
7-Eleven dropping Citgo as its gasoline supplier

I heard on the news today that 7-Eleven maintains there is no relationship between this decision and Chavez' speech at the UN the other day. They were working on this decision for a while, because they wanted to sell their own gasoline name brand.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
All I know is: I've used Citco gas, it made my car run horrible. I haven't used it since.... same goes for QuakerState Oil. (not that anybody cares)

Do what lets you sleep at night. Forget Citco, QS, and Mr. Pibb!!!!!!!!

Long live the boycotters!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (regardless of reason... reasons that is) To each their own, but I've been on board for years with this.... not as a PRO-AMERICAN, but because the gas it poor quality. At least it is for my KIA.... out goes the pro-american label!

kateyes

posted by Capt Haddock--
Citgo is not the only company that sells Venezuelan oil. Much of the oil pumped at other filling stations comes from venezuela too, so Chavez gets his money anyway.

Citgo doesn't just sell Venezuelan oil--it is wholly owned by Venezuela--I understand your logic--everyone makes thier own choices anyway. I try to put my money where my mouth is--I objected to several of the actions taken by Chavez over the last few years and choose not to contribute my money to his actions.

7-Eleven has issued a statement saying it had nothing to do with Chavez, but that they have been pursueing thier own branding for Gas.

Capt. Haddock

Evil Mouse
kateyes said:
posted by Capt Haddock--

I objected to several of the actions taken by Chavez over the last few years and choose not to contribute my money to his actions.

Like what? What could some tin-pot caudillo from a third-world country possibly do that would have any impact on your life whatsoever?

I don't like the man either, but if you're going to start boycotting unsavoury governments, I'd start with Red China, whose leaders have got up to far, far worse than anything Chavez has ever done. Then I'd continue with Saudi Arabia, whose leaders are far more loathesome than Chavez and who have way more investments in this country than he does.

Pretty soon you'll find there's nothing left that you can buy.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Capt. Haddock said:
I don't like the man either, but if you're going to start boycotting unsavoury governments, I'd start with Red China, whose leaders have got up to far, far worse than anything Chavez has ever done. Then I'd continue with Saudi Arabia, whose leaders are far more loathesome than Chavez and who have way more investments in this country than he does.

I tried to remind my husband of this when he went to buy a pair of tennis shoes. Nearly all of them are made in China. Even the ones not made in China are actually made in China, then shipped elsewhere to have the label sewn on. Oh, you can get some from Honduras, but the workers there are treated no better than slaves either. So what are you going to do? Stop wearing shoes? Make your own? Yeah...good luck with that.

As for oil, I can't think of a source for that that isn't somehow tainted either. Though I still don't buy Exxon and haven't since the Valdez ran aground in Alaska, only because they haven't stepped up to the commitment they made for cleanup. If they ever get around to keeping their promises, then I'll change my mind on that.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I intend to patronize Citgo. It's about time someone finally stood up to the world's bully and called a spade a spade.
Has anyone considered why Chavez is so ill disposed towared the US Government, or, for that matter, why the US government is so ill disposed to a popular, democratically elected leader?
If Bush treated you the way his administration's treated Chavez you'd consider him diabolical too.

Capt. Haddock

Evil Mouse
Seyorni said:
Has anyone considered why Chavez is so ill disposed towared the US Government,

Because he gains political mileage out of it (or he thinks he does). It's as simple as that.

Chavez got elected on some rather big promises which he hasn't and won't deliver. His popularity is waning fast. What better way to distract the masses from your own shortcomings than to hype up a foreign enemy and engage them in rhetorical warfare?

Anti-American hot air is what has kept Castro in power so many years past his sell-by date, Chavez reckons it will work for him, too.

Otherwise, there would be no good reason for a head of state to go out of his way to anger his country's largest trading partner.

Capt. Haddock

Evil Mouse
kiwimac said:
Frankly,

I agree with Chavez's opinions of the US.

You think Bush is the devil and smells of sulfur?

I can't stand the sight of Bush, but when Chavez starts calling him names it's time to introduce Mr. Pot to Mr. Kettle.

kateyes

Capt. Haddock said:
Like what? What could some tin-pot caudillo from a third-world country possibly do that would have any impact on your life whatsoever?

You are right it is becoming increasingly hard to buy American (as the saying goes)or Canadian, or Mexican. As a small business owner--I try to use other local businesses whenever possible--I try not to buy Chinese made products, or products from countries with human rights violations--or child labor law violations. I don't shop at chain stores that will remain nameless--that import millions of dollars worth of goods from such countries. Booko is correct it is hard to buy oil/gas from a company that itsn't tainted in some way--however not all of them are government owned and operated by a despot like Chavez.

posted by Seyorni-[quote why the US government is so ill disposed to a popular, democratically elected leader? If Bush treated you the way his administration's treated Chavez you'd consider him diabolical too.[/quote]

There is some question as to how democratically Chavez was elected and there is no proof the Bush administration attempted to overthrow or supported an attempt to overthrow Chavez--to the contrary there is some proof that the US Ambassador to Venezuela warned Chavez based on information from US intelligence gathering. I think Capt Haddock is probably right here--the more outrageous Chavez is the more attention he gets--which seems to be his goal. I just don't feel I should support that.

Capt. Haddock

Evil Mouse
kateyes said:
--I try not to buy Chinese made products, or products from countries with human rights violations--or child labor law violations. .

That's a helluva challenge in this day and age, but good on you if you can manage it.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The CIA actively tried to overthrow Chavez' government and even attempted to assasinate him. This is common knowledge everywhere but in the US.

I would not characterize Chavez as a despot. He has enormous popular support. His decision to use the country's resources to improve the lot of the poor that constitute most of the population has enraged the tiny but powerful segment of society that has traditionally been supported by the multinational corporations, enjoying nearly free access to Venezuela's oil reserves.
Heaven forbid the revenues be diverted to such useless projects as schools and hospitals....

Capt. Haddock

Evil Mouse
Seyorni:

If you read a little Latin American History, you'll find that there's nothing new under the sun in Venezuela. The sort of brash populist caudillo that Chavez plays is a well-known Latin American archetype, there have been many others and there will be many more, and whether on the left or the right, they all operate the same way.

Yes, they manage to get "enormous popular support" by spouting off empty rhetoric which plays to the emotions of their poorly-educated populace. They capitalise on (very legitimate) anger at the previous rulers, hype up foreign enemies that can be blamed when things go wrong, and generally make very grand promises that they know they will not be able to keep.

Then they hand out patronage and largesse to their supporters and pretend they are Robin Hood, but they seldom invest in anything that will improve their country's lot sustainably in the long term, they never make the poor any less poor, they fuel corruption and their energy soon becomes focussed on holding on to power when their popular support is no longer so enormous.

This is exactly what is happening in Venezuela: many of the poor Venezuelans that once supported Chavez are now wondering why their lives are no better than before and they are angry that Chavez spends so much time abroad and so much of his oil-money on international grandstanding instead of on alleviating poverty at home.

RevOxley_501

one Rev. Jerry Falwell--he uh, called for a boycott of Citgo

i personally will be buying citgo more exclusively now, cus bush is a devil---and he does intend to rule the world and such.

here is falwells newsletter (how in Gods name i started getting it i dont know)

FALWELL CONFIDENTIAL
Insider weekly newsletter to The Moral Majority Coalition and
The Liberty Alliance http://www.moralmajority.com

Date: October 3, 2006

Shunning Citgo

After Venezuelan dictator Hugo Chavez stood at the United Nations podium and called President Bush “the devil,” I determined that I would never purchase Citgo gas again.

Why? Because the refining company is wholly owned by Venezuela’s state-owned oil company, Petroleos de Venezuela. Whenever Americans purchase gasoline at Citgo stations, portions of that purchase return to enable Chavez, a man who has vowed to take down the American government.

I am not willing to purchase gasoline — no matter how cheaply it may be being sold — from a company that is owned by a nation whose thuggish leader sneered at and mocked our president (while on U.S. soil, no less).

I was pleased to see that 7-Eleven recently decided to discontinue its association with Citgo at its 2,100 convenience stores. However, a reported 12,000 Citgo stations continue to operate nationwide.

Others are beginning to get sick of Chavez, as well.

After Chavez’ UN tirade, Gov. George Pataki (R-N.Y.) said, “This person has no right coming to our country to criticize our president.” Gov. Pataki said he would no longer buy Citgo gas.

The news in Venezuela is even more distressing when one considers that Hugo Chavez, who says America is preparing to attack his nation, is leading an arms buildup in the nation.

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said earlier this week that neighboring countries are concerned by the buildup.

“I can understand neighbors being concerned,” said Mr. Rumsfeld.

I believe it’s time Americans do their part to cut off as much money as possible to Hugo Chavez and his regime. (Sadly, there are efforts by leftist groups urging their supporters to go out and purchase Citgo products.)

We need to show this crazed dictator that the American people will not tolerate his type of dangerous activities. The best way to accomplish this is to immediately discontinue purchasing Citgo gas.

I am urging the hundreds of thousands of subscribers to Falwell Confidential to join with me, and a growing number of Americans, in determining not to purchase Citgo

Booko

Deviled Hen
RevOxley_501 said:
one Rev. Jerry Falwell--he uh, called for a boycott of Citgo

Good Lord! This "endorsement" is nearly enough to make me go out of my way to get gas at Citgo. :sarcastic

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
kateyes said:
...Chavez's anti-Bush comments prompted move to drop Venezuelan supplier...
This statement is not supported by the article.
article said:
...Venezuelan Energy and Petroleum Minister Rafael Ramirez, who also serves as PDVSA’s president, confirmed that the move was just a business decision.

“No, no, no, no. We made our decisions with respect to some gas stations a long time ago,” Ramirez told reporters in Caracas in response to a question about conflict between Citgo and 7-Eleven. “There is no conflict there.”...
Capt. Haddock said:
If you read a little Latin American History, you'll find that there's nothing new under the sun in Venezuela.
From one captain to another, :clap and Frubals for several great posts on this thread.

I think it's unfortunate when people try and lift up Chavez as some kind of hero because he made some anti-Bush comments. I also think the pot n kettle analogy is most appropriate.

kateyes

Not being a follower of Jerry Falwell--I had no idea he had called for a boycott of Citgo. Of course everyone makes thier own choices.