• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bought Some Gold. Have I taken the right decision? Any prediction about the future of Gold prices?

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Upon hearing that Gold price has fallen, I jumped without contemplating to buy some Gold. I exchanged half of the cash I have into Gold!

I am planning to keep the gold for some time and resell in future. I have no plan about when I may need to resell it. It will depend on when I may need the money, regardless of the gold price at that time!

Lately, I started to think about the step that I have taken :areyoucra

So any prediction about the future of the precious metal price, and the future of my investment in it? When may Gold prices reach the sky? :confused:

ignition

They are NEVER going to reach the sky. Take your money out and pump it into stocks and DON'T diversify either. Like Warren Buffet says, put all your eggs in one basket, but watch that basket closely :) Trust me on this one. Or you could invest it in a start-up, there are many companies out there on the net looking for cash to start out, you'll get some %.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Precious metals are the latest bubble to reach it's bursting point. You missed the gold boat a few years back. Protip: get into investments on the way up, before everyone else jumps on board - then get out and get into whatever everyone else isn't into.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I used to buy gold when it was 120 to 240 an troy ounce. I could just kick myself to the moon now as i sold it when it hit 450. Had i known.........

Lesson learned is gold is a good hedge for inflation so if you do buy, hold on to at least some of it.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Upon hearing that Gold price has fallen, I jumped without contemplating to buy some Gold. I exchanged half of the cash I have into Gold!

I am planning to keep the gold for some time and resell in future. I have no plan about when I may need to resell it. It will depend on when I may need the money, regardless of the gold price at that time!

So any prediction about the future of the precious metal price, and the future of my investment in it? When may Gold prices reach the sky? :confused:
I recently sold all my gold.

I was given some U.S. mint gold coins as a kid back when it was like $400/oz in the 1990's. I was just going to hold onto them, but once gold quadrupled in price due the giant gold bull run bubble of the last twelve years or so, I sold them for a nice profit because I had little interest in holding onto overvalued assets that collect dust and take up space. I sold all my silver coins too, for the same reason. And rather than bring them to a gold-buying place, I brought them to a coin dealer that buys them for above what I'd get for just the gold or silver content, because he knows how to value mint coins. I put the cash into more appropriately-valued investments.

For one, if you buy investments on impulse, you're gonna have a bad time.

Two, gold did fall in price from its peak in 2012, but to keep it in perspective it's still more than 3x as expensive as it was in the 1990's. Marketers like to promote gold as a conservative investment, but it's actually quite volatile in price over the moderately-to-long term. It spiked to crazy high prices at around 1980, then crashed in value, and then starting in 2000 it began a bull run again and multiplied its price by about 5x, and then it has fallen in 2013, but it's still at historically high prices. It's a fairly speculative commodity.

Three, did you buy into a gold fund or did you buy physical gold? For the most part, the biggest profiteers in gold are the ones buying and selling it, rather than the ones investing in it. Gold fund managers get to charge a fee for managing the fund. Physical gold retailers buy gold (jewelry, coins, other things) at basically wholesale prices (a discount to face value), and then resell it at higher retail prices, after sometimes having melted it down into a new shape. That means that if investors buy physical gold at current gold prices, they generally start out at a mild loss, because you either need to do work to try to sell it directly to someone for nearly the current price of gold and skip a middle man, or you end up conveniently selling it at these lower wholesale prices that are a discount to the face value. So gold has to go up in price, or the investor has to do some selling work, just for most retail gold investors to break even.

Galen.Iksnudnard

One of the things we should point out is that gold is not equivalent to money. It’s a precious metal. Half of the cost of Gold is actually due to the labor costs involved in digging it out of the ground (you have to pay for miners and equipment), then refining it and melting it down with acid to get gold bars. And the only reason we go after gold in the first place is because we've all agreed that it is worth something.

Gold can be an asset in much the same way your car or your house is an asset. It's merely something you own that has value, and which can be traded in for cash at some other point in time. Just because cars are worth money, doesn't mean you can trade in a few BMW's for a house, as you would in a barter system.

Shia Islam

Premium Member
Thank you all for your valuable contributions.

I recently sold all my gold.
did you buy into a gold fund or did you buy physical gold?

I bought physical gold. It came in small rectangles. I am used to put them under my linen when I sleep :D

Now here is my conclusion after some quick search on the subject:

1. I made a mistake by investing before searching on what i was investing on.

2. As i understood that the gold price goes high when the global economy goes down, it's unlikely that the gold price will go down in the long run.

3. it's possible that gold price will go down further in the short to meduim terms.

4. Investing in gold is not for someone who wants quick wins...one needs to forget that he/she has bought gold for some long time , which i just can't do :(

Shia Islam

Premium Member
the price is going low...

Can I deposit the physical gold in Bank and take interest? I mean as people deposit their cash, can Gold be deposited too?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

No probs. Gold price has halved in one and a half years, so at present it is very low indeed. It is unlikely to fall much further, and if there is any future upset with stocks etc or world stability, then gold will soar in price.
I feel sure that your investment is safe. Did you buy coins or ingots?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
the price is going low...

Can I deposit the physical gold in Bank and take interest? I mean as people deposit their cash, can Gold be deposited too?
Just buy a really good safe, concrete it into your home, don't tell anybody, that is anybody, about it, forget it, and get on with your life. It is your insurance policy, surely?

Shia Islam

Premium Member
Just buy a really good safe, concrete it into your home, don't tell anybody, that is anybody, about it, forget it, and get on with your life. It is your insurance policy, surely?

Thanks for your valuable input...

I suppose that What i bought is called 'Gold bars', although they are rectangles!

the problem is that i converted almost all the money i have into Gold...

I have a feeling that one day Gold will have its day...

However, i don't think that i can afford to keep my Gold for long...
I think that i will be in need of money, and will be forced to sell the Gold...

I will try to keep some of it though...

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Thanks for your valuable input...

I suppose that What i bought is called 'Gold bars', although they are rectangles!

the problem is that i converted almost all the money i have into Gold...

I have a feeling that one day Gold will have its day...

However, i don't think that i can afford to keep my Gold for long...
I think that i will be in need of money, and will be forced to sell the Gold...

I will try to keep some of it though...

Hello again.......:)

But I don't see gold as a buy-it/sell-it investment.
It's more like a 'keep some for a rainy day' type of insurance.

OK..... if you do need money, then you will need to sell some gold.
Over here there is a company in Birmingham, England called BullionByPost®: Buy Gold Bullion at The Official Bullion By Post Site and their selling and purchase 'cuts' are very very small, compared to other companies. There might be a similar kind of company where you live. If so, only sell to such a company, but only if you absolutely have to, and have no other resources at all.

Good luck!

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

Pakistan, India, Vietnam, Turkey have banks and accounts that will hold your gold and pay interest rate on the deposit. That is because some transactions require base gold or silver for which in some areas of the world the demand for gold outstrips the supply and there is not as much gold behind the transaction as the costs of the transactions in actual gold.

I do not know the situation in Iran, currently in the US there are no banks that do so but there are some jewelers and mining agreements that effectively is the same as interest on your gold. These are not as safe as banks, but banks in some countries can default. The banks are using your gold to back up very large development loans and real estate ventures that may fail.

This phenomenon is spreading. Why? Well one reason is massive debt due to massive government spending and borrowing for more spending, the actual value of the paper currency is being devalued more and more.

The United States is an example. There comes a point of no return. I predict the US will be one of the early adoptors of allowing banks to take and hold your physical gold in return for interest on that gold, because major ventures which are developments based on an intial huge bank loan will not be able to back the venture and risk with US dollars, the demand will be to back it with gold that the banks do not hold.

This is coming with the next monetary crisis that evebtually will come, in the US it seems many voters cannot understand the risks of government debt until it is too late, and think the guvernment grows money un trees or can confiscate it from "rich people".

The danger in allowing the banks to hold your gold however, is the government itself may steal your gold out of desperation by simply outlawing holding gold and going right into the bank and essentially stealing your wealth at rip off rates.

Personally, I do not buy physical gold for this reason, but definitely have gold investments as part of my portfolio by owning a portion within my portfolio in stocks and shares of gold mines in Africa, but only in very large mining operations which can increase or decrease production based on price per ounce.

Yes gold has dropped, I predicted this as many did, the reason is the "false bubble" has more to do with an overvalued Fed pumped up with stimulus stock market though there have been actual gains as well in the energy field.

It is too late for you to buy stocks in large gold mining operations, you bought physical gold which is clumsy to deal with. But you will be ok. It will drop to just under $1000 dollars an ounce, but as it does not look like the US will control government spending which will only increase due to Obamacare and, well, insanity, there is a crisis looming in about 4 years marked by collapse of the bonds, high interest and inflation all combined, and gold will again sky rocket, probably to $3000 dollars an ounce. You will see banks and loan companies not only offering interest on holding your gold, they will offer debit cards that are backed by physical gold.

Stay put. You have no other choice. But remember, you cannot eat gold. If things get REAL bad, and that is very possible, there won't be someone standing on a street corner ready to buy your gold - you will be robbed before you get two blocks down the street, and there won't be enough funds to local, state and national government to pay police officers to protect you. There won't be any police in that event, they will be protecting their own families from roaming bands of goondas and not your family. Hope you have a big family with guns or your own private security. Hopefully it won't come to that, probably not, but never underestimate the stupidity of many living today who think they are going to get "free bread" on the promises of soft tyranny and despots. Every investment is a form of gambling and nerves, knuwing the world day by day, and savey. There is no "answer". All the best.

Om Namah Sivaya

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Gold/Silver/Diamonds and other high value commodities are suitable to safeguard your wealth during a short term economic collapse, provided that you have them in your possession and are able to secure them at a time when there is significant crime, otherwise they are likely to be stolen, compulsorily acquired etc.

The approach relies on some rather dubious assumptions, firstly that the majority of those material assets (gold bullion etc) remain within your control until such time as there is a market rebound, and secondly that access to goods/services can be obtained in return for some portion of those assets (gold etc) that you have within you possession (i.e. that someone during this time will have sufficient excess goods/services that they will be willing to exchange them in return for a portion of those material assets). Yet every time you use such assets in transactions would increase your likelihood of having knowledge of your wealth (in a time of scarcity) made more apparent (noting that such a period of economic strife would involve elevated levels of theft and violence by members of the community and significant willingness by the government to acquire wealth in order to attempt to preserve national (and special) interests), simply having such resources during a time of scarcity is likely to dramatically increase your risk of being the victim of violent crime.

I am not so sure that gold/silver/diamonds would be an appropriate medium for exchange during such a time; how would you be able to convince people of the purity of the asset, how many people would even be willing to trade their goods and services for it at a time when they are likely to be lacking for more immediate goods/services (such as food, clothing, generators etc).

People seem to assume that they can stave off the impacts of a currency crisis (which is well and truly possible within 15-20 years) by getting gold and similar assets, yet the truth is that a currency collapse would be unlikely to be a short term economic crisis... it would likely lead to a world wide chain reaction of fiat currencies going belly up, bonds becoming scrap paper and 3/4 of the world's economy dissapearing within a month or so.... that sort of thing would be decades in passing (as it has been nearly over a century in the making). Trying to hoard gold just doesnt seem worth it unless you are a multi millionaire.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Two rules:
  1. Never invest or divest without doing legitimate research.
  2. Asking the opinion of people on a forum is not legitimate research.

Shia Islam

Premium Member
We have great contributions here...
I will come back soon. Insha'allah (God willing).

Shia Islam

Premium Member
I sold it all just before ISIS has taken Mousel city...
I sold it with almost the same price that i bought it...ZERO gain!

If I waited for some days i may have made some gains ....

All in all, investment in Gold is for long term investors only!

Shia Islam

Premium Member
although i did not sell it at the right time, i am lucky that i did not keep until today, where the oil prices fell to half, and Gold price is tied to that of oil.