• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bottle-Nosed Dolphins

ScottySatan

I went on a dolphin sight-seeing tour in Florida. I saw about a dozen dolphins. Some of the dolphins were being unnecessarily cruel to prey. Most of the dolphins I saw were mating. Boys and girls were mating while not fertile. There were threesomes. Boys mated with boys. Calves mated with their mothers.

The naturalist on the boat told us that dolphins mate like people handshake,and they absolutely have homosexual tendencies. He said that the dolphins feel that "If it feels good, do it". Amen brother. (disclaimer: I do not mate with my mom).

I don't remember, and wonder if someone can remind me...does christianity say that sin is uniquely human? that free will and choice are uniquely human? Do dolphins sin?

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Dolphins are the super-sadists of the animal world. They will **** a baby-dolphin to death. It has been recorded. Several times.

ScottySatan

Dolphins are the super-sadists of the animal world. They will **** a baby-dolphin to death. It has been recorded. Several times.
That reminds me of Reno 911. "Don't look at me, he was already ****ed to death when we got here!"

But seriously. When people say that humans are the worst animals, I can't help but think that the person doesn't know much about animals.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
That reminds me of Reno 911. "Don't look at me, he was already ****ed to death when we got here!"

But seriously. When people say that humans are the worst animals, I can't help but think that the person doesn't know much about animals.
I'd say we're contenders. However, I find it very interesting that all the smarter animals, like ravens, dolphins, orcas, other apes, ect..

You're going to find sadism. It's almost like the abstract enjoyment of the suffering of others comes with intelligence.

ScottySatan

I'd say we're contenders. However, I find it very interesting that all the smarter animals, like ravens, dolphins, orcas, other apes, ect..

You're going to find sadism. It's almost like the abstract enjoyment of the suffering of others comes with intelligence.

check out what bed bugs do...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traumatic_insemination

just to make it clear, male bed bugs gang rape females by stabbing them through the abdomen with jaggy penis swords, and it hurts them a lot.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
check out what bed bugs do...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traumatic_insemination

just to make it clear, male bed bugs gang rape females by stabbing them through the abdomen with jaggy penis swords, and it hurts them a lot.
There is a significant difference between animals like that, without higher-order brains(or even lower-order stuff, those are invertebrates). They don't 'think'. They just do. You cannot apply morality to anything that inherently cannot grasp it. What they do is not "bad", it's just what they do. You do not bemoan a vulture because it eats the dead, that's what it does.

Dolphins(and us and such) however, are capable of decision making. We can make choices.

ScottySatan

There is a significant difference between animals like that, without higher-order brains(or even lower-order stuff, those are invertebrates). They don't 'think'. They just do. You cannot apply morality to anything that inherently cannot grasp it. What they do is not "bad", it's just what they do. You do not bemoan a vulture because it eats the dead, that's what it does.

Dolphins(and us and such) however, are capable of decision making. We can make choices.

Maybe. I'm just going by kind of circumstantial evidence. I see animals of all levels of intelligence doing it. Maybe I'm more prone to noticing evil than good, it's in my dark nature.

I'm just speculating that if elected for 2016, that we find that we have a dolphin with it's flipper on the nuke button, we're all screwed.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Reminds me of this video of, I think maybe a chimp, or maybe a monkey, I don't actually remember, but anyways he was using a frog to masturbate with.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member

Humans may not be the worst animals, but we are the most dangerous animal. We through our intelligence have developed a way to virtually destroy our entire race and most other animals, and the Earths eco system in about 60 minutes or less.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I went on a dolphin sight-seeing tour in Florida. I saw about a dozen dolphins. Some of the dolphins were being unnecessarily cruel to prey. Most of the dolphins I saw were mating. Boys and girls were mating while not fertile. There were threesomes. Boys mated with boys. Calves mated with their mothers.

The naturalist on the boat told us that dolphins mate like people handshake,and they absolutely have homosexual tendencies. He said that the dolphins feel that "If it feels good, do it". Amen brother. (disclaimer: I do not mate with my mom).

I don't remember, and wonder if someone can remind me...does christianity say that sin is uniquely human? that free will and choice are uniquely human? Do dolphins sin?

I think that's a good point & distinction between humans and animals.

All species compete with each other to some degree, with strength, fitness, sensory acuity etc- but without intelligence, there is nothing 'personal' or 'intentional' right?

intentional cruelty requires intelligence, and we see it in monkeys, dolphins, whales etc. Yet humans buck this trend, with far greater intelligence, we are far less cruel. Because we have morals with that intelligence

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member

I've heard something about them like decapitating otters and masturbating with the heads as well. I don't care to confirm, it's too metal to question.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I think that's a good point & distinction between humans and animals.

All species compete with each other to some degree, with strength, fitness, sensory acuity etc- but without intelligence, there is nothing 'personal' or 'intentional' right?

intentional cruelty requires intelligence, and we see it in monkeys, dolphins, whales etc. Yet humans buck this trend, with far greater intelligence, we are far less cruel. Because we have morals with that intelligence
Have..have you just ignored literally all of human history?

Erebus

Yet humans buck this trend, with far greater intelligence, we are far less cruel. Because we have morals with that intelligence

You do realise that humans not only commit staggering acts of cruelty, but they do it on an industrial scale? Whether or not we're the worst species is debatable, but to say we're far less cruel is a stretch.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I'm not talking about pre-Christian, Roman Empire or primitive tribes etc no, Our ability to LEARN morals is what distinguishes us from animals

And 'good' has to be learned, chosen, it cannot be mandated
But Rome's atrocities were no better nor worse before or after Christianity. If anything, they got worse, because Rome didn't care what you believed so long as you paid your goddamn taxes.

And have you seen world history? At all? Pick any era, I will show you an atrocity. Any of them.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
But Rome's atrocities were no better nor worse before or after Christianity. If anything, they got worse, because Rome didn't care what you believed so long as you paid your goddamn taxes.

And have you seen world history? At all? Pick any era, I will show you an atrocity. Any of them.

Last time I was in Rome, they were no longer staging Christians and lions on the same bill!

As I said, it's our capacity to choose good over evil that lifts us above animals. Ask the bottle nosed dolphin what it thinks of it's own race's routine atrocities- it doesn't know what that means.
We do, and being a choice necessarily means we don't all make the same one.

I'm sure you could cite anecdotes of this all day long, but for the vast majority of us, in a civilization of morals largely founded on Christianity, cruelty, sex slavery is not something we seek out for fun any more.
What in Rome, and much of the ancient world, was openly, publicly, routinely, accepted, is now abhorred, severely punished.

There is no black and white here of course, but a huge distinction don't you think?

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Last time I was in Rome, they were no longer staging Christians and lions on the same bill!
They never did. We've never found any archaeological evidence of it.

As I said, it's our capacity to choose good over evil that lifts us above animals. Ask the bottle nosed dolphin what it thinks of it's own race's routine atrocities- it doesn't know what that means.
We do, and being a choice necessarily means we don't all make the same one.

I'm sure you could cite anecdotes of this all day long, but for the vast majority of us, in a civilization of morals largely founded on Christianity
Or Buddhism. Or Hinduism. Or Taoism. Or Shinto. Or *insert various Native American traditions here*. Ect.
cruelty, sex slavery is not something we seek out for fun any more.
Sex slavery, while not dead, is still alive. However, yes, it is far less than what it used to be. Because, well, sex is much more openly available. Societal taboos against casual sex have died down.

And speak for yourself on cruelty.

What in Rome, and much of the ancient world, was openly, publicly, routinely, accepted, is now abhorred, severely punished.
A few thousand years of societal development will do that, east or west.

There is no black and white here of course, but a huge distinction don't you think?
I am not arguing that we're no better than dolphins. I am arguing that the margin is not as great as you seem to believe, and that when the chips are down, we're still animals.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Other animals aren't moral agents, so right and wrong don't really apply to them. They can't sin.