• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book Of Mormon Changes; So What?

Norman

Defender of Truth
Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon, but original spelling was done by Oliver Cowdery as he wrote down what Joseph said. Oliver Cowdery then made a printer’s manuscript which was a copy of the original manuscript. The printer then set the type from the printer’s manuscript. About 30,000 to 35,000 punctuation marks were added during the typesetting by John M. Gilbert, a non-Latter Day Saint typesetter for E.B. Grandin, the Palmyra, New York printer of the 1st edition.

Numerous typographical, spelling and grammatical errors were in the 1st edition printed in 1830. Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery made over 1,000 corrections for the 2nd edition in 1837. Most of these changes were grammatical. The first European edition in English came after the 1837 edition but before Joseph Smith revised the 1840 and 1842 editions. So later American editions, including the 1849 one, which were taken from the first European editions, continued the 1837 edition errors.

In 1879, Orson Pratt, under assignment from President John Taylor, made smaller chapters (going from 114 to 239 total) and added verse numbers and cross-references. James E. Talmage, under President Heber J. Grant’s direction, prepared the 1920 edition by making double-column pages and grammatical changes; revising the cross-references; and adding a pronouncing vocabulary and index.

The 1981 edition done by the Scriptures Publication Committee did the following: (1) Enlarged the cross-referencing; (2) Added maps in the DC section; (3) Changed headings at the top the each page; (4) Added Official Declaration 2 and three excerpts from Wiford Woodruff’s talks; (5) Joseph Smith 1 and 2 are now Joseph Smith-Matthew, and Joseph Smith-History; (6) The Book of Moses is now called, “Selections from the Book of Moses”; (7) The DC now has a ‘verse synopsis’ before each section; (8) Some sections of the DC have clarified when and where the revelation was received (eg. Sections 13 and 35-37); A new pronunciation guide for the Book of Mormon was added; (10) Oliver Cowdery’s historical account found prior to the Articles of Faith gives an earlier reference than the Times and Seasons source.

Examples of Corrections:

Words deleted: that (188 times), the (48 times), it came to pass (46 times), a and and (40 times), had (29 times)

Words added (totaled less than 100): of (12 times), and, is, and the (7 times). In some places words were added to clarify (eg., in 1 Nephi 11:21, 32 and 13:40, the words the son were added).

Grammatical changes: which to who (891 times), exceeding to exceedingly (177 times),
Was to were (162 times), is to are (74 times), done to did (10 times).

Typographical errors; aaswer, amog, bacause, daghter, mnltitude, theit, uttered.

Changes in meaning: In 2 Nephi 30:6, white was in the 1830 and 1837 editions. In the 1840 edition, Joseph Smith changed it to Pure. However not until the 1981 edition was this changed because the editions printed between 1837 and 1981 were made from the European edition, and had the same errors as the 1837 edition.

In Mosiah 21:28 and Ether 4:1, where the name Mosiah appears, the name Benjamin appeared in the 1830 edition. Joseph made the correction in the 1837 edition.

Spelling changes: straight to strait (10 times), because both words ‘sounded’ the same, Oliver always wrote “straight” down. Oliver’s handwriting caused confusion too. His r, n, b, and 1, were difficult to distinguish so the printer misread robber to be nobler.

Like wise in 1 Nephi 13:26, the printer put foundation, instead of formation. Other supposedly spelling errors were just acceptable forms of the common spelling usage: adhear, adultery, babtized, berfal, center, devlish, fraid, sepulcher, phrensied, condescention, and burthensome.

Remember to Judge spelling by the era in which the word was written. In 1829, 5 dictionaries were available. Our word scripture was commonly accepted in those dictionaries to be spelled scriptshur, scriptyur, and scripture. Also, many people, like Noah Webster, were publishing to distinguish American spelling from English and to spell phonetically, some words were changes, like theartre and theater.

This is not unique just to the Book of Mormon, the 1611 King James Bible under went several changes, just for example: sins was spelled synnes, and then sinnes.

Spretes and spirites became spirits. In the first nine chapters of Hebrews in the 1611 bible, the words dayes, sonne heire, R, and oyle appeared.

The Bible went through more changes than any other religious book. Many passages were taken out on purpose. Many books that was quoted from by other's in the Bible are not around; Why would this be? All the critics have used an old and worn out cliché "Oh, God just did not want those books." This does not hold water as far as I am concerned.

Watchmen

Premium Member
What about these?

1830 Edition of the Book of Mormon
1981 Edition of the Book of Mormon
1 Nephi 11:18
"And he said unto me, Behold, the virgin which thou seest, is the mother of [ . . . ] God, after the manner of the flesh "And he said unto me: Behold, the virgin whom thou seest is the mother of the Son of God, after the manner of the flesh." 1 Nephi 11:21
"And the angel said unto me, behold the Lamb of God, yea, even the [ . . . ] Eternal Father! . . . " "And the angel said unto me: Behold the Lamb of God, yea, even the Son of the Eternal Father! . . . " 1 Nephi 11:32
" . . . And I looked and beheld the Lamb of God, that he was taken by the people; yea, [ . . . ] the Everlasting God, was judged of the world . . . " " . . . And I looked and beheld the Lamb of God, that he was taken by the people; yea, the Son of the everlasting God was judged of the world . . . " 1 Nephi 13:40
" . . . and shall make known to all kindreds, tongues, and people, that the Lamb of God is [ . . . ] the Eternal Father and the Savior of the world . . . " " . . . and shall make known to all kindreds, tongues, and people that the Lamb of God is the Son of the Eternal Father, and the Savior of the World . . . " 1 Nephi 19:20
" . . . for had not the Lord been merciful, to shew unto me concerning them, even as he had prophets of old; [ . . . ] for he surely . . . " " . . . for had not the Lord been merciful, to show unto me concerning them, even as he had prophets of old, I should have perished also." 1 Nephi 20:1
changed in 1964 ed.

"Hearken and hear this, O house of Jacob, which are called by the name of Israel, and are come forth out of the waters of Judah, [ . . . ] which swear . . . " "Hearken and hear this, O house of Jacob, who are called by the name of Israel, and are come forth out of the waters of Judah, or out of the waters of baptism, who swear . . . " Mosiah 21:28
changed in 1964 ed.

" . . . king Benjamin had a gift from God, whereby he could interpret such engravings; . . . " " . . . king Mosiah had a gift from God, whereby he could interpret such engravings; . . . " Alma 46:40
" . . . because of the excellent qualities of the many plants and roots which God had prepared, to remove the cause of diseases which was subsequent to man by the nature of the climate." " . . . because of the excellent qualities of the many plants and roots which God had prepared to removed the cause of diseases, to which men were subject by the nature of the climate." 3 Nephi 3:23
"And the land which was appointed was the land of Zarahemla, and the land which was between the land of Zarahemla and the land Bountiful." "And the land which was appointed was the land of Zarahemla [ . . . ] and the land Bountiful . . . " 3 Nephi 10:4
"O ye people of these great cities which have fallen which are a descendant of Jacob; yea which are of the house of Israel; O ye people of the house of Israel, how oft have I gathered you . . . " "O ye people of these great cities which have fallen, who are descendants of Jacob, yea, who are of the house of Israel, [ . . . ] how oft have I gathered you . . . " 3 Nephi 16:10
"and thus commandeth the Father that I should say unto you at that day, When the Gentiles shall sin against my Gospel, and shall subject the fulness of my Gospel, and shall be lifted up . . . " "And thus commandeth the Father that I should say unto you: At that day when the Gentiles shall sin against my gospel,[ . . . ] and shall be lifted up . . . " 3 Nephi 22:4
" . . . for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, [ . . . ] and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more." " . . . for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more." Ether 9:2
" . . . nevertheless, the Lord was merciful unto Omer, and also to his sons and to his daughters, which were not, or which did not seek his destruction." "Nevertheless, the Lord was merciful unto Omer, and also to his sons, and to his daughters [ . . . ] who did not seek his destruction."

Norman

Defender of Truth
What about these?

1830 Edition of the Book of Mormon
1981 Edition of the Book of Mormon
1 Nephi 11:18
"And he said unto me, Behold, the virgin which thou seest, is the mother of [ . . . ] God, after the manner of the flesh "And he said unto me: Behold, the virgin whom thou seest is the mother of the Son of God, after the manner of the flesh." 1 Nephi 11:21
"And the angel said unto me, behold the Lamb of God, yea, even the [ . . . ] Eternal Father! . . . " "And the angel said unto me: Behold the Lamb of God, yea, even the Son of the Eternal Father! . . . " 1 Nephi 11:32
" . . . And I looked and beheld the Lamb of God, that he was taken by the people; yea, [ . . . ] the Everlasting God, was judged of the world . . . " " . . . And I looked and beheld the Lamb of God, that he was taken by the people; yea, the Son of the everlasting God was judged of the world . . . " 1 Nephi 13:40
" . . . and shall make known to all kindreds, tongues, and people, that the Lamb of God is [ . . . ] the Eternal Father and the Savior of the world . . . " " . . . and shall make known to all kindreds, tongues, and people that the Lamb of God is the Son of the Eternal Father, and the Savior of the World . . . " 1 Nephi 19:20
" . . . for had not the Lord been merciful, to shew unto me concerning them, even as he had prophets of old; [ . . . ] for he surely . . . " " . . . for had not the Lord been merciful, to show unto me concerning them, even as he had prophets of old, I should have perished also." 1 Nephi 20:1
changed in 1964 ed.

"Hearken and hear this, O house of Jacob, which are called by the name of Israel, and are come forth out of the waters of Judah, [ . . . ] which swear . . . " "Hearken and hear this, O house of Jacob, who are called by the name of Israel, and are come forth out of the waters of Judah, or out of the waters of baptism, who swear . . . " Mosiah 21:28
changed in 1964 ed.

" . . . king Benjamin had a gift from God, whereby he could interpret such engravings; . . . " " . . . king Mosiah had a gift from God, whereby he could interpret such engravings; . . . " Alma 46:40
" . . . because of the excellent qualities of the many plants and roots which God had prepared, to remove the cause of diseases which was subsequent to man by the nature of the climate." " . . . because of the excellent qualities of the many plants and roots which God had prepared to removed the cause of diseases, to which men were subject by the nature of the climate." 3 Nephi 3:23
"And the land which was appointed was the land of Zarahemla, and the land which was between the land of Zarahemla and the land Bountiful." "And the land which was appointed was the land of Zarahemla [ . . . ] and the land Bountiful . . . " 3 Nephi 10:4
"O ye people of these great cities which have fallen which are a descendant of Jacob; yea which are of the house of Israel; O ye people of the house of Israel, how oft have I gathered you . . . " "O ye people of these great cities which have fallen, who are descendants of Jacob, yea, who are of the house of Israel, [ . . . ] how oft have I gathered you . . . " 3 Nephi 16:10
"and thus commandeth the Father that I should say unto you at that day, When the Gentiles shall sin against my Gospel, and shall subject the fulness of my Gospel, and shall be lifted up . . . " "And thus commandeth the Father that I should say unto you: At that day when the Gentiles shall sin against my gospel,[ . . . ] and shall be lifted up . . . " 3 Nephi 22:4
" . . . for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, [ . . . ] and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more." " . . . for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more." Ether 9:2
" . . . nevertheless, the Lord was merciful unto Omer, and also to his sons and to his daughters, which were not, or which did not seek his destruction." "Nevertheless, the Lord was merciful unto Omer, and also to his sons, and to his daughters [ . . . ] who did not seek his destruction."

Thank you for posting these passages I did not have them in my research over the years.

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
"And he said unto me, Behold, the virgin which thou seest, is the mother of [ . . . ] God, after the manner of the flesh "

This is very telling, and very authentic for the period. Jehovah is the God of Israel, and it was he who was born as Jesus of Nazareth. It was quite appropriate for Nephi to refer to him as God, even though it sounds strange to modern ears.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I'm no expert here, but if I may butt in, what are you asking exactly? Is there a particular change or clarification that you find troubling?

They're all troubling considering Joseph was to have translated them by the power of God.

Scott C.

Just one guy
They're all troubling considering Joseph was to have translated them by the power of God.

A couple of things come to mind. My understanding is that the changes to add "Son of God" were made by Joseph Smith himself and not by subsequent church leaders. I think of Joseph Smith who said the Book of Mormon "is the most correct book". This seems to imply that he didn't feel it was perfect. Also, I think of the Title Page which says "and now if there are faults, they are the the mistakes of men..." I suppose such "men" could be the original authors, the translator Joseph Smith, the scribes, or later church leaders. I don't have trouble with edits or clarifications.

Watchmen

Premium Member
A couple of things come to mind. First of all, I didn't take the time to verify these changes or when and how they occurred. I think of Joseph Smith who said the Book of Mormon "is the most correct book". This seems to imply that he didn't feel it was perfect. Also, I think of the Title Page which says "and now if there are faults, they are the the mistakes of men..." I suppose such "men" could be the original authors, the translator Joseph Smith, the scribes, or church leaders. I don't have trouble with edits or clarifications.

If you looked at the changes I think you'd realize they are more than just "clarifications."

Scott C.

Just one guy
If you looked at the changes I think you'd realize they are more than just "clarifications."

I saw that "Son of God" is used rather than God. I believe that Jesus may be called "God" or the "Son of God." But, I get why changes bother some people. I love the Book of Mormon and believe that it very effectively fulfills it's purpose as outlined in the Title Page. I believe it's from God, but no surprise there :)

Last edited:

Watchmen

Premium Member
I saw that "Son of God" is used rather than God. I believe that Jesus may be called "God" or the "Son of God." But, I get why changes bother some people. I love the Book of Mormon and believe that it very effectively fulfills it's purpose as outlined in the Title Page. I believe it's from God, but no surprise there :)

there are many more changes than that.

Watchmen

Premium Member
And? So what?
Don't get me started. You said you wanted to "embarrass" me. It's clear you have zero interest in looking at the objective evidence.

Why don't you use your brain for a change. Why might changes to the Book of Mormon be problematic for the Church?

Prestor John

Don't get me started. You said you wanted to "embarrass" me. It's clear you have zero interest in looking at the objective evidence.?
That was what I wanted to do on that particular thread.

You were being ridiculous. You didn't even read Clear's posts. You didn't see how he had destroyed you.

I wanted to make you aware of that destruction.
Why don't you use your brain for a change. Why might changes to the Book of Mormon be problematic for the Church?
Changes, in and of themselves, are not problematic for anyone.

What matters is if those changes altered core doctrines.

That did not happen with any change made in the Book of Mormon.

Watchmen

Premium Member

You were being ridiculous. You didn't even read Clear's posts. You didn't see how he had destroyed you.

Yes it did. And why wouldn't changes not be problematic if it was he most correct book? And why are whole passages of incorrectly translated scriptures in the Bible repeated verbatim in the Book of Mormon?

Watchmen

Premium Member

And there was no destruction. No reputable Egyptologist agrees with Joseph's interpretation of the facsimiles.

Prestor John

Yes it did. And why wouldn't changes not be problematic if it was he most correct book?
You believe that "most correct book" means "perfect book"?

Correcting mistakes, typos or fixing unclear language of the "most correct book" would only help the "most correct book" be even more correct.
And why are whole passages of incorrectly translated scriptures in the Bible repeated verbatim in the Book of Mormon?
Why not mention one example.

Last edited:

Prestor John

And there was no destruction. No reputable Egyptologist agrees with Joseph's interpretation of the facsimiles.
This is perfect.

You see, Clear never made the claim that the Egyptologists agreed with the Prophet's interpretation. He NEVER made that claim.

The issue he took with your post was that you shared one interpretation of the facsimile when there are many many more interpretations. Egyptologists do not all agree on the symbols of the facsimile

If they cannot all agree, how can you present that one interpretation as if it is the only one?

Also, if they do not all agree, how can you so easily dismiss the Prophet's interpretation?

You really need to pay attention and read what your debate opponent has to say or you'll get stuck looking the fool while not knowing how you got owned.

Do you space out in the court room during trial? You don't listen to what the other attorney or witnesses are saying?

Is that what good attorneys do?