• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blessed Winternights

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I meant to post this yesterday and didn't have the time due to.other commitments.

Blessed Winternights everyone.

Winternights

It's the time that the Spirits of Chaos and darkness are allowed to join the Spirits of Order on earth. A time of upheaval and change, as well as a time to honor the sacred dead and ancestors past.

IMG20221107201649.jpg

I hope everyone enjoyed the day of growing shadows, and has steeled themselves for the cold and dark to come.

Did you do anything celebratory for this time of year? It is typically celebrated as Samhain among many Pagans,.and on the day of Halloween. I choose to celebrate it as it falls astrologically.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I wrote a journal entry earlier today reflecting on MidAutumn and how this time of year has become a challenge for me (and why).

Forcing myself to go through the motions of a basic ritual in the morning, I felt unsettled for most of the day. I distracted myself from what needed doing. And then, after night fell, I knew what I had to do and did it anyway.

Paganism isn't an easy religion.

Mainstream society strangles acknowledgement of death and decay. It doesn't set aside time to honor the ancestors, or acknowledge the dead. Instead it sets aside time for candy, costumes, and consumerism. Don't get me wrong - there is something to be said for making light of one's demons. But I think mainstream culture avoids confronting deeply meaningful questions about death and dying, ancestors and legacies. Our human experience is much poorer for it.

Some of the words I wrote earlier today feel echo this theme and the responsibility we have as Pagans in honoring the ancestors:

"Nothing in particular came through the gateway I opened - or perhaps tried and failed to open - last night. Instead I sat mostly in silence, before the flaming cauldron, simply giving thanks and immersing in the moment. At one point when my inner eyes were focusing on the leaping flame before me I saw a vision of a great bonfire. Large, fueled by massive trunks, and people celebrating and dancing around it. It reminded me of the fire festivals that are said to be practiced by our Pagan ancestors. I saw some people casting things into the fire. Was this a vision of our ancestors? I don’t know. But I had a realization that whether or not I was seeing our ancestors, modern Pagan traditions are carrying on that torch. That part of how we honor our ancestors is by being torchbearers of tradition and building upon the legacy."
--- from "Passing the Torch" written 2nd MidAutumn 2022

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I've been in a toss-up ever since leaving the Troth (long story: I left of my own accord due to shameful actions by the High Rede), so this Winternights was a good time to offer to my ancestors for guidance going forward.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Blessed Winternights everyone.

Did you do anything celebratory for this time of year? It is typically celebrated as Samhain among many Pagans, and on the day of Halloween. I choose to celebrate it as it falls astrologically.
Thanks. Yes, it is very welcome to Indians after long summers and humid rains, specially to those who do not live in Himalayas.
We have a whole lot of festivals prior to this time. 'Kartik Snana' (Full moon day in the Hindu month of Kartik, first winter dip in rivers and water bodies) was celebrated just yesterday by millions of people all over India (See it here: Eclipse Photos). This is like a good bye to the Sun god for the year.