• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bindi customs

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Bindi means many things in Hinduism. I wear one (pottu, in Tamil) after puja, marking the third eye. So there are also regional differences as to what it means.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Honestly, I really want a black bindi and wear either a black and gold (or black and silvery) sari. Failing that, black bindi with western dark/black clothes.

I guess for me, I really want to express my femininity as a Hindu woman... something that isn't just plainly feminine as my religion is so important to me, and something that no matter what is clearly feminine even if I'm not dressed in the most feminine style due to something. To me, a Bindi represents so many things many of them relating to the Chakras and thus Kundalini and thus Shakti which is so central to the worship in Kashmir Shaivism as an avenue to Shiva.

Anyways I've also been planning to get a nath and have done research on them as well.

Which I want to ask about that as well, the nath with the chain to the ear, is that always for married women? I have read some conflicting information and that there are regional differences as well for that (as there is for most things).

I just want to make sure I am using everything within what is generally considered acceptable for Hindu women... the last thing I would want is for someone to claim I'm just a know-nothing white American girl misappropriating Indian culture! I want to be able to prove them wrong and otherwise follow all the rules as much as possible.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If only men could be respectful and not approach strangers to ask their hand in marriage!
Is that wrong? I like someone and respectfully ask her to be my 'Shariq-e-Hayat' ('Companion in Allah's heaven' in Urdu, in other words 'wife'). It is for the lady to say yes or no. And I accept whatever be her answer. ;)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Honestly, I really want a black bindi and wear either a black and gold (or black and silvery) sari. Failing that, black bindi with western dark/black clothes.

I guess for me, I really want to express my femininity as a Hindu woman... something that isn't just plainly feminine as my religion is so important to me, and something that no matter what is clearly feminine even if I'm not dressed in the most feminine style due to something. To me, a Bindi represents so many things many of them relating to the Chakras and thus Kundalini and thus Shakti which is so central to the worship in Kashmir Shaivism as an avenue to Shiva.

Anyways I've also been planning to get a nath and have done research on them as well.

Which I want to ask about that as well, the nath with the chain to the ear, is that always for married women? I have read some conflicting information and that there are regional differences as well for that (as there is for most things).

I just want to make sure I am using everything within what is generally considered acceptable for Hindu women... the last thing I would want is for someone to claim I'm just a know-nothing white American girl misappropriating Indian culture! I want to be able to prove them wrong and otherwise follow all the rules as much as possible.
Yeah, women use black bindis, but the black should include some color. Stark black is not our choice. Bindi would not go well with western clothes, though goes well with jeans in India.

As not 'nath' or 'ear rings' or 'tikkas' (on forehead), various bangles (on forearms and above elbows), or girdles, various kind of necklaces, ornaments on ankles (payal), rings on toes, preferably in gold or studded with various precious or semi-precious stones, all enhance the beauty of women. However, a 'nath' with a chain to the ear is not very convenient, though it is worn in some regions (Himalayan hills and not in my community, i.e., Kashmiri brahmins). For city-dwellers, it is worn only on occasions (parties, marriages, etc.). Now-a-days, even unmarried girls and women will wear it.

bejewelled hindu woman at DuckDuckGo
banithani.png
iu

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Is that wrong? I like someone and respectfully ask her to be my 'Shariq-e-Hayat' ('Companion in Allah's heaven' in Urdu, in other words 'wife'). It is for the lady to say yes or no. And I accept whatever be her answer. ;)

Yes it's wrong, in modern western culture. Yes, customs do vary, but people should be more aware of how other folks from other cultures may like to be treated.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
:) It would be wrong in India as well, though it used to happen in times of Shakuntala and Dushyanta. Now-a-days, the proper method is to ask parents to approach the parents of the girl. Some people decide this on their own and inform the parents. In some communities the process is not so cumbersome.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Has this happened to you often, and what was your response to the men?

It hasn't happened, but knowing myself I would unequivocally would tell them to **** off. You don't just ask complete strangers to marry you, that is bizarre and creepy.

I know that in some places in India that unaccompanied women can get harassed by men trying to court them, but it shouldn't be that way. They don't even know her.

Anyways I don't see a problem with Bindi meaning a married woman in of itself. In America we have certain rings that mean that too for both men and women.

Shantanu

It hasn't happened, but knowing myself I would unequivocally would tell them to **** off. You don't just ask complete strangers to marry you, that is bizarre and creepy.

I know that in some places in India that unaccompanied women can get harassed by men trying to court them, but it shouldn't be that way. They don't even know her.

Anyways I don't see a problem with Bindi meaning a married woman in of itself. In America we have certain rings that mean that too for both men and women.
Men are entitled to try and find a woman to marry: you are entitled to tell them to ****off.