• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Big crunch

Nimos

**Nevermind I figured it out, however if people have thoughts about if they did actually move at the speed of light, would/could there be a collapse, just for fun? :D**

Was listening to Stephen Hawking's book a brief history of time and in it the saying that objects can't move faster than the speed of light according to Einstein, since the mass would be to great that we would need an infinite amount of energy etc.

I don't know a lot about these things to be honest, but maybe someone here does. :) Anyway we know that the expansion of the universe is accelerating and with it the speed of all objects, such as our milky way from what I understand.

So curious as I am, and since I have a program call universe sandbox, which allow you to fool around with stuff in the universe and our solar system :) I tried to increase the mass of the sun to an extreme insane amount, which turned it into a huge black hole that consumed the whole solar system in a few seconds. :D

Now in theory what would happen if the galaxies and everything in it accelerated to the speed of light, because I don't really understand what would stop the acceleration regardless of Einstein theory, since whatever is causing the current acceleration might have enough energy to do so? whether that is dark energy or dark matter or something else. Because if the mass reaches an infinite amount, could that in theory cause a big crunch or what would happen, anyone have any thoughts about this? Whether it is in fact possible for the acceleration to reach the speed of light, whether its relevant etc.?

Last edited:

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
**Nevermind I figured it out, however if people have thoughts about if they did actually move at the speed of light, would/could there be a collapse, just for fun? :D**

Was listening to Stephen Hawking's book a brief history of time and in it the saying that objects can't move faster than the speed of light according to Einstein, since the mass would be to great that we would need an infinite amount of energy etc.

I don't know a lot about these things to be honest, but maybe someone here does. :) Anyway we know that the expansion of the universe is accelerating and with it the speed of all objects, such as our milky way from what I understand.

So curious as I am, and since I have a program call universe sandbox, which allow you to fool around with stuff in the universe and our solar system :) I tried to increase the mass of the sun to an extreme insane amount, which turned it into a huge black hole that consumed the whole solar system in a few seconds. :D

Now in theory what would happen if the galaxies and everything in it accelerated to the speed of light, because I don't really understand what would stop the acceleration regardless of Einstein theory, since whatever is causing the current acceleration might have enough energy to do so? whether that is dark energy or dark matter or something else. Because if the mass reaches an infinite amount, could that in theory cause a big crunch or what would happen, anyone have any thoughts about this? Whether it is in fact possible for the acceleration to reach the speed of light, whether its relevant etc.?

As you've gathered per your edit, you couldn't accelerate to the speed of light (you'd need infinite energy to do this).

If we're pretending we could, you'd have infinite mass and time would seem to stop for you (I guess if your eyes were magic and didn't work based on photon detection and you could just see stuff, you'd be able to see the period of time pass by that you're travelling like this simultaneously and instantly. If you never stop, then you would see the entire future of the universe simultaneously and instantly).

Nimos

As you've gathered per your edit, you couldn't accelerate to the speed of light (you'd need infinite energy to do this).
It weren't exactly the reason why it weren't possible, but rather because it's the space between galaxies etc. that are expanding, not the actual galaxies that are accelerating, at least that is how our understood it. So the galaxies appear to be moving apart faster than the speed of light, but are not really in that sense.

Time would be relative, but if the mass of everything is infinite, maybe the universe could collapse into a massive huge black hole drawing everything together and maybe cause a new big bang when all stuff collapsed on top of each other, at least that was my thought :D

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
It weren't exactly the reason why it weren't possible, but rather because it's the space between galaxies etc. that are expanding, not the actual galaxies that are accelerating, at least that is how our understood it. So the galaxies appear to be moving apart faster than the speed of light, but are not really in that sense.

Time would be relative, but if the mass of everything is infinite, maybe the universe could collapse into a massive huge black hole drawing everything together and maybe cause a new big bang when all stuff collapsed on top of each other, at least that was my thought :D

Oh yes if you’re talking about galaxies receding from each other because of the expansion, that isn’t an acceleration so it doesn’t break relativity ^.^

All it would take is even a single object with infinite mass to collapse everything into a black hole, because gravity has an infinite range with strength that diminishes with distance; but infinity doesn’t drop off with distance (it’s just more infinity).

Physics would break. Usually the appearance of infinities in some contexts is a hint that the model is wrong.