• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible Versions

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
KJV once pondered: Are you aware there are many different "Bible" versions today claiming to be the Word of God.
No Bible claims to be the "Word of God". No Bible claims to be "perfect". There is no mention of the doctrine of an "inspired version" in the scriptures. You shouldn't add to the scriptures, should you?

Only God, his Son and his Spirit claim to be perfect. Man has chosen to worship the Bible as they would any graven image. God is not pleased.

may

the KJV retained the name of the most high in about only three places , which is bad enough considering that the name should be in about 7,000 places, but what do we find in the NKJV oh dear even worse, it has been removed completly as far as i am aware, it gets worse and worse , that is not progression it is going backwards, its a good job that some serious translators are after the pure word of God and do not push the most highs name into the background, they put the name back where it rightly belongs.
That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,​
You alone are the Most High over all the earth.psalm 83;18

may

NetDoc said:
KJV once pondered: Are you aware there are many different "Bible" versions today claiming to be the Word of God.
No Bible claims to be the "Word of God". No Bible claims to be "perfect". There is no mention of the doctrine of an "inspired version" in the scriptures. You shouldn't add to the scriptures, should you?

Only God, his Son and his Spirit claim to be perfect. Man has chosen to worship the Bible as they would any graven image. God is not pleased.
we should not take away either, and the name of the most high has been removed from most translations :eek:

Scuba Pete

:eek: Oh the scandal!!! :eek:

I believe God is worried far more how we act towards our fellow man, rather than whether we translated his name right. That's just so legalistic that it boggles the imagination!

may

NetDoc said:
:eek: Oh the scandal!!! :eek:

I believe God is worried far more how we act towards our fellow man, rather than whether we translated his name right. That's just so legalistic that it boggles the imagination!​
yes ,many people think many things but what does God himself say about it.

(Acts 15:14) Sym´e·on has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name. and as Jesus himself said in John 17;6 when raising his eyes to heaven and talking to his father Jehovah ,
"I have made your name manifest to the men you gave me out of the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have observed your word. ............yes Jesus used and made known Jehovahs name
it is evident that the Tetragrammaton in Hebrew characters (יהוה) was used in both the Hebrew text and the Greek Septuagint. Therefore, whether Jesus and his disciples read the Scriptures in either Hebrew or Greek, they would come across the divine name. In the synagogue at Nazareth, when Jesus rose and accepted the book of Isaiah and read 61:1, 2 where the Tetragrammaton occurs twice, he pronounced the divine name. This was in accordance with his determination to make Jehovah’s name known as can be seen from his prayer to his Father:
Sometime during the second or third century C.E. the scribes removed the Tetragrammaton from both the Septuagint and the Christian Greek Scriptures and replaced it with Ky´ri·os, "Lord" or The·os´, "God." that was not a good thing to do as it was going against what Jehovah wanted,:no:
But, in fact, for this cause I have kept you in existence, for the sake of showing you my power and in order to have my name declared in all the earth. EXODUS 9;16
(Malachi 1:11) "For from the sun’s rising even to its setting my name will be great among the nations, and in every place sacrificial smoke will be made, a presentation will be made to my name, even a clean gift; because my name will be great among the nations," Jehovah of armies has said.​

(Romans 9:17) For the Scripture says to Phar´aoh: "For this very cause I have let you remain, that in connection with you I may show my power, and that my name may be declared in all the earth.".........................YES MAKE NO MISTAKE his name will be santified
Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified. Let your kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon earth. matthew 6;9-10
(Ezekiel 36:23) ‘And I shall certainly sanctify my great name, which was being profaned among the nations, which YOU profaned in the midst of them; and the nations will have to know that I am Jehovah,’ is the utterance of the Sovereign Lord Jehovah, ‘when I am sanctified among YOU before their eyes.​

(Ezekiel 38:23) And I shall certainly magnify myself and sanctify myself and make myself known before the eyes of many nations; and they will have to know that I am Jehovah.’.............. Jesus also made known his fathers name, and we as followers of Jesus christ should do the same . even though the world in general and false religious leaders have pushed Gods name into the background , his true followers never forget that he is the most high ,and he deserves the worship
"You are worthy, Jehovah, even our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because you created all things, and because of your will they existed and were created."revelation 4;11 so why remove his wonderful name from the bible when as his name means (HE CAUSES TO BECOME)​

A

angellous_evangellous

KJV said:
Are you aware there are many different "Bible" versions today claiming to be the Word of God. Each one tells us that it is the most reliable, most accurate, etc. etc.. But which of them is God’s Word? Since they all disagree with one another, we can’t possibly say that they all are. Can we? Are we to suppose that God has written more than one Bible and that he makes statements in one and then disagrees with himself in another? No, of course not. God only wrote one Bible. How, then, do we go about determining which "Bible" is the Bible? If we look to human opinion for the answer, we will find nearly as many opinions as we find people. One person will like one. Another person will prefer another. Yet a third person will assure us that it really doesn’t matter, telling us that any of them will do just fine. Since we aren’t interested in human opinion here, we need to look to scripture for help in resolving this issue. There are two questions that we will need to consider.

Lots of questions here, but aside from your assertion that "God wrote" anything, I'd say that you've summed up the questions fairly well with these two:

(1) Which are the correct manuscripts?
(2) Which is the proper translation of those (the correct) manuscripts?

(1) There are several textual theories which guide scholars in selecting "correct" manuscripts (MSS). Some prefer the Textus Receptus of the KJV, which is based on a majority text theory that does not consider thousands of MSS. There's also the oldest text theorywhich places more value on the oldest text (thereby excluding the longer ending of Mark, the story of the woman caught in adultery in John, and 1 John 1.5, and solving many other textual problems).

Then we have all the issues regarding variant readings which are equally attested - which again the KJV does not consider.

(2) Translation is much more fun. Both the original languages and the secondary languages are in constant shift. No language exists in a vaccuum, but every writer and region uses words a little differently, and language changes over time. Therefore, we need constant work of scholars in trying to isolate meanings of words in the original language and finding ways to dynamically equivocate the changing style of English.

A

angellous_evangellous

KJV said:
Are you aware there are many different "Bible" versions today claiming to be the Word of God. Each one tells us that it is the most reliable, most accurate, etc. etc.. But which of them is God’s Word? Since they all disagree with one another, we can’t possibly say that they all are. Can we? Are we to suppose that God has written more than one Bible and that he makes statements in one and then disagrees with himself in another? No, of course not. God only wrote one Bible. How, then, do we go about determining which "Bible" is the Bible? If we look to human opinion for the answer, we will find nearly as many opinions as we find people. One person will like one. Another person will prefer another. Yet a third person will assure us that it really doesn’t matter, telling us that any of them will do just fine. Since we aren’t interested in human opinion here, we need to look to scripture for help in resolving this issue. There are two questions that we will need to consider. (1) Which are the correct manuscripts?

And this is stolen from http://www.numenware.com/article/530/

I feel so used. :computer: :troll: :spam:

A

angellous_evangellous

SoyLeche said:
That's disgusting! It wasn't even an obvious plagerism.

Not only that, but 3 posts and then nothign - we have been talking to a troll!

We should just all do the happy dance! :tribal: :disco: :ymca:

Scuba Pete

may said:
yes ,many people think many things but what does God himself say about it.
Indeed:

Jeremiah 24:4 Then the word of the LORD came to me: 5 "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'Like these good figs, I regard as good the exiles from Judah, whom I sent away from this place to the land of the Babylonians. 6 My eyes will watch over them for their good, and I will bring them back to this land. I will build them up and not tear them down; I will plant them and not uproot them. 7 I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the LORD. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart. NIV

John 13:34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." NIV

John 8:19 Then they asked him, "Where is your father?" "You do not know me or my Father," Jesus replied. "If you knew me, you would know my Father also." NIV

Now, I wonder why Jesus never used this name? He referred to God constantly as his Father. If it were so stinking important, you would think that Jesus would have been recorded using it at least ONCE. I would suggest that instead of trying to foment needless controversy that you show your Christianity in the same way the Apostles of the first century did: by your love.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
KJV said:
Are you aware there are many different "Bible" versions today claiming to be the Word of God. Each one tells us that it is the most reliable, most accurate, etc. etc.. But which of them is God’s Word? Since they all disagree with one another, we can’t possibly say that they all are. Can we? Are we to suppose that God has written more than one Bible and that he makes statements in one and then disagrees with himself in another? No, of course not. God only wrote one Bible. How, then, do we go about determining which "Bible" is the Bible? If we look to human opinion for the answer, we will find nearly as many opinions as we find people. One person will like one. Another person will prefer another. Yet a third person will assure us that it really doesn’t matter, telling us that any of them will do just fine. Since we aren’t interested in human opinion here, we need to look to scripture for help in resolving this issue. There are two questions that we will need to consider. (1) Which are the correct manuscripts?

I care far less about it than I used to. My pastor recommended the NKJV and NASB so those are the two most often read.

Since I don't worship the Bible, I find a lot more cohesiveness and similarities than division or differences. The basic message is the same. The other bits are for Bible scholars to fight over. It just seems that while tearing out each other's throats over minutiae the gist of it gets lost somehow.
:p

So I choose not to fight much over translations.

I have enough to keep me pondering here, for example:

Matthew 22:34-40

34But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together.
35Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

If you read through the various translations of this passage, they all say the same thing.

I find the same is true with most of the important passages.

HopefulNikki

KJV said:

I would assume that, whatever the best translation is, it's not the translation that talks about unicorns;)

may

NetDoc said:
Indeed:

He referred to God constantly as his Father. If it were so stinking important, you would think that Jesus would have been recorded using it at least ONCE. quote] and he did,
Note some of the things he said and agreed with:
"It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service." (Matt. 4:10)
"You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind." (Matt. 22:37)
That Jehovah was truly the Father or Life-Giver to this firstborn Son and, hence, that this Son was actually a creature of God is evident from Jesus’ own statements. He pointed to God as the Source of his life, saying, "I live because of the Father." According to the context, this meant that his life resulted from or was caused by his Father, even as the gaining of life by dying men would result from their faith in Jesus’ ransom sacrifice.—Joh 6:56, 57.
Jesus said to her: "Stop clinging to me. For I have not yet ascended to the Father. But be on your way to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and YOUR Father and to my God and YOUR God.’"John 20;17 Yes Jesus knew that he had a father and his early followers knew that as well.
John 14:28, RS: "[Jesus said:] If you loved me, you would have rejoiced, because I go to the Father; for the Father is greater than I." .............and yes we should listen to Jesus just as the father Jehovah told us to
"Also, there was a voice from the heavens that said: ‘This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved.’"—MATTHEW 3:17.
(Luke 9:35) And a voice came out of the cloud, saying: "This is my Son, the one that has been chosen. Listen to him.".......................Yes we should listen to Jesus and THAT is what Jehovah said isnt it ................ Also in JOHN 17;3Jesus said,
This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ. ................ but that does not mean that we should forget the Almighty true God Jehovah , yes Jesus was taught and is the image of God in that his teachings would be in harmony with the father Jehovah and we should listen to Jesus . but making known the fathers name does not mean that a christian is lacking love as you seem to inply , in fact Jesus himself said that we should LOVE Jehovah God with all our hearts , and in psalm 83;18 it does say ...............that men may know that my name is JEHOVAH.....................SO WHY TAKE THAT NAME AWAY FROM GODS WORD:no:

Scuba Pete

So... you never showed me where Jesus is recorded uttering God's real name. It's just not important. Let's look at what IS important to God:

II Peter 1:5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. NIV

Somehow Peter has left out your all important concept here. I find the whole idea of obsessing over a name while overlooking the use of the word "unicorn" to be the same as straining a gnat and swallowing a camel. This borders on mysticism at best. I think I am going to listen to the scriptures on this and worry more about becoming like God in my character.

may

NetDoc said:
So... you never showed me where Jesus is recorded uttering God's real name. It's just not important. Let's look at what IS important to God:

II Peter 1:5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. NIV

Somehow Peter has left out your all important concept here. I find the whole idea of obsessing over a name while overlooking the use of the word "unicorn" to be the same as straining a gnat and swallowing a camel. This borders on mysticism at best. I think I am going to listen to the scriptures on this and worry more about becoming like God in my character.
yes , all of those things are important i dont think anyone is disputing that , we are talking about accurate translations and not taking any thing away from the inspired word of God , but many translations have done just that , not good to do that.:no:

FFH

Veteran Member
Joseph Smith inspired version comfirms that the King James is correct.

Numbers 23: 22
22- God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of a unicorn.

The only difference is the grammatical error in the King James

Numbers 23: 22
22- God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn

may said:
the KJV retained the name of the most high in about only three places , which is bad enough considering that the name should be in about 7,000 places, but what do we find in the NKJV oh dear even worse, it has been removed completly as far as i am aware, it gets worse and worse , that is not progression it is going backwards, its a good job that some serious translators are after the pure word of God and do not push the most highs name into the background, they put the name back where it rightly belongs.

Jehovah's Witnesses believed the KJV to be most accurate until the 1960s...not sure how much room you have to talk there.