• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible Study: The "Unforgivable Sin"

hero

Mt. 12:22 Then they brought him a demon-possessed man who wasblind and mute, and Jesus healed him, so that he could both talk and see.​
Mt. 12:23 All the people were astonished and said, “Could this be the​
Son of David?”​
Mt. 12:24 But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, “It is only by Beelzebub, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons.”​
Mt. 12:25 Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand.​
Mt. 12:26 If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand?​
Mt. 12:27 And if I drive out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do yourpeople drive them out? So then, they will be your judges.​
Mt. 12:28 But if I drive out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.​
Mt. 12:29 “Or again, how can anyone enter a strong man’s house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strongman? Then he can rob his house.​
Mt. 12:30 “He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters.​
Mt. 12:31 And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not beforgiven.​
Mt. 12:32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will beforgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.​
Mt. 12:33 “Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a treebad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognised by its fruit.
Mt. 12:34 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anythinggood? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.
Mt. 12:35 The good man brings good things out of the good stored upin him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evilstored up in him.
This is a scary scripture. Many people have many interperutations of it. But I am looking for what it is that the unforgivable sin is on a smaller scale. I have already done extensive study over it and have accepted some truth to a definate interperutation. Nevertheless, I would love to hear anyone and everyones opinion/theory, that we may revise them and biuld on them. :162:

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
I believe that if you have a complete knowledge of the truth and then fight against the church, then you are denying the Holy Spirit.

hero

mormonman said:
I believe that if you have a complete knowledge of the truth and then fight against the church, then you are denying the Holy Spirit.
I understand what it is you are saying, but... I dont know it just hasn't satisfied me. Simply I guess you are more than correct in what I have interperuted. But...I still wonted to try a more in depth study. I have also looked up this scripture in Mark. It speak their of why Jesus said it specifically. The pharisees said He had an unclean spirit, when His spirit was the Holy Spirit. And that is why Mark says He said it.
Also Mt. 12:27 And if I drive out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do yourpeople drive them out? So then, they will be your judges. This verses meaning I have not fully comprehended. Who is they? And lastly, what exactly is the Holy Spirit that it may be spoken against?

A

angellous_evangellous

I think that the key to understanding what blasphemy of the Spirit entails is found in verses 24 Mt. 12:24 But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, “It is only by Beelzebub, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons.” Jesus casts out demons by the power of the Holy Spirit. If someone says that the Holy Spirit is evil, that is blasphemy that will not be forgiven. This does not mean that such a person has a one-way ticket to hell, but that God will exact punishment for this crime according to His righteous judgement.

hero

angellous_evangellous said:
I think that the key to understanding what blasphemy of the Spirit entails is found in verses 24 Mt. 12:24 But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, “It is only by Beelzebub, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons.” Jesus casts out demons by the power of the Holy Spirit. If someone says that the Holy Spirit is evil, that is blasphemy that will not be forgiven. This does not mean that such a person has a one-way ticket to hell, but that God will exact punishment for this crime according to His righteous judgement.
I am not looking for something to fill a theory with. I wont to see all the bible has to offer. I would have excepted this had I not read what it said in Mark. Thats my fault though for not including it. Its late, and I dont feel like looking it up, but I remember very specifically that it said instead of just unforgiven, eternal condemnation.

A

angellous_evangellous

hero said:
I am not looking for something to fill a theory with. I wont to see all the bible has to offer. I would have excepted this had I not read what it said in Mark. Thats my fault though for not including it. Its late, and I dont feel like looking it up, but I remember very specifically that it said instead of just unforgiven, eternal condemnation.
Don't you think such a drastic conclusion is worth double-checking.

Mark 3 says nothing about eternal damnation. The sin is eternal, not damnation. There is a dramatic difference. Mark 3.38 sustains my original conclusion that saying the source of Jesus' power, the Holy Spirit, is evil is the blasphemy. The sin won't be forgiven, but that does not mean that the person will go to hell.

From the ESV
22And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem were saying, "He is possessed by Beelzebul," and "by the prince of demons he casts out the demons." 23And he called them to him and said to them in parables, "How can Satan cast out Satan? 24If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25And if a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand. 26And if Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand, but is coming to an end. 27But no one can enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. Then indeed he may plunder his house.

28"Truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the children of man, and whatever blasphemies they utter, 29but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin" -- 30for they had said, "He has an unclean spirit."

EDIT: I took a look at this one in Greek.

alla enochos estin aionion amarthmatos = but guilty he is (of) an eternal sin

Nothing about eternal damnation, but the eternal presence of sin certainly implies some kind of punishment. Having an eternal sin does not equate to damnation because we will all be judged according to our works. Saying that the Holy Spirit is evil evidently brings some special attention from God. May God have mercy on us all!

Copied from a previous post of mine:

I always viewed the blasphemy of the Spirit as unpardonable because such a person is unwilling to return and repent. If they go as far as blatantly and knowingly blaspheming than they are not a person to honestly and truthfully ask for God's forgiveness. Its not the sin itself that is unpardonable, but the principle that drives a person to do so.

A

angellous_evangellous

Searcher of Light said:
Copied from a previous post of mine:

I always viewed the blasphemy of the Spirit as unpardonable because such a person is unwilling to return and repent. If they go as far as blatantly and knowingly blaspheming than they are not a person to honestly and truthfully ask for God's forgiveness. Its not the sin itself that is unpardonable, but the principle that drives a person to do so.
Is this conclusion related to the evidence in Mark, where Jesus explicitly says the opposite (eg, that the sin is eternal)? It is the sin - the blasphemy - that is eternal, not the principle.

Just curious on how you can draw conclusions about the issue while disregarding the subject as it is addressed in the original source.