• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible as the Word of God

Hispriest

Satan must have succeeded then in making me believe in evolution, not in the Global Flood and not in Genesis literal creation. I'm sure not believing plants came into existence before the Sun did is a part of his plan to wreak havoc in my mind and make me go immoral.

But the Bible has already been changed. I disagree with you. I definitely trust love, tolerance, equality and common sense more than what some Popes and some Emperors decided to leave in and out, or some moral code another civilization in the OT had (which included something as evidently non-divine as not certain foods, androcentric sexism or homophobia).

Agreed.​

Not so agreed. As I said, I think you have it backwards. I feel and firmly believe God is loving. If something in that book is against that, then that doesn't mean God is not loving. It means that is not God. Quite simple, and in fact this form of seeing it promotes a happier tolerant world.​

But that is simply not true. The Scripture says nothing about itself. It's people talking, and you are taking every one of their words, thus falling in what you yourself didn't want; not believing "what you want to say", but something worse, what others have wanted it to say. I find the other way a much more direct, logical and convincing way to the truth about God.

Well, if you read the Bible, you’ll see that He created light first! (Gen. 1:3)
Without light there could be no life; and as the Creator began the work of bringing order from chaos and of introducing various forms of plant and animal life upon the earth, it was essential that there be light. Light is a visible form of energy, which by its action on plants transforms inorganic elements and compounds into food for both man and beast and controls many other natural processes necessary to life.
Light has ever been a symbol of the divine presence. As physical light is essential to physical life, so divine light is necessary if rational beings are to have moral and spiritual life. “God is light” (1 John 1:5).

RubyEyes

Truth Seeker
Well, if you read the Bible, you’ll see that He created light first! (Gen. 1:3)
Without light there could be no life; and as the Creator began the work of bringing order from chaos and of introducing various forms of plant and animal life upon the earth, it was essential that there be light. Light is a visible form of energy, which by its action on plants transforms inorganic elements and compounds into food for both man and beast and controls many other natural processes necessary to life.
Light has ever been a symbol of the divine presence. As physical light is essential to physical life, so divine light is necessary if rational beings are to have moral and spiritual life. “God is light” (1 John 1:5).
No. I was not talking about light. I was talking about the Sun, created after plants.

Day 1: Light, which He separated from the dark (evening and day)
Day 2: Atmosphere/Atmospheric water/oceanic and subterranean water.
Day 3: Dry land and the oceans, as well as vegetation.
Day 4: The sun, the moon, and the stars (probably the other planets too)
Day 5: Birds and creatures of the water.
Day 6: Land animals, man, and woman.
Day 7: The day of rest.

Plants' photosystems (I and II) in their chloroplasts, akin to those of cyanobacteria, have evolved to be sensible to our star, the Sun, so they were obviously created afterwards. Non-solar stellar light in the universe is simply too far away to have made photosynthesis possible or viable.

Hispriest

What we say about the Bible, in terms of peer-reviewed exegesis, is what counts. Scripture says precious little about itself. Most people can't read ancient Hebrew or ancient Greek. And we don't have the "originals," at any rate. The Bible isn't some magical book that fell out of the sky. It's a product of a process of thousands of years of storytelling, writing, translating, and redacting. That process warrants verifiable exegesis. Satan has very little to do with it, and human eisegetical tendencies have a lot to do with it. "Doubt" is a powerful tool in getting to the meat of the message.

Well, I don't know from where you got your truth??? If is not from the Bible....
Part of the work of the Holy Spirit is to help us understand the truth of the Scriptures. This is why we should always ask the Holy Spirit to guide us before we open God's book. I can be certain the Holy Spirit is guiding me, I ask Him to guide me, and I am willing to accept and follow truth as He reveals it to me through His word.

Hispriest

No. I was not talking about light. I was talking about the Sun, created after plants.

Day 1: Light, which He separated from the dark (evening and day)
Day 2: Atmosphere/Atmospheric water/oceanic and subterranean water.
Day 3: Dry land and the oceans, as well as vegetation.
Day 4: The sun, the moon, and the stars (probably the other planets too)
Day 5: Birds and creatures of the water.
Day 6: Land animals, man, and woman.
Day 7: The day of rest.

Plants' photosystems (I and II) in their chloroplasts, akin to those of cyanobacteria, have evolved to be sensible to our star, the Sun, so they were obviously created afterwards. Non-solar stellar light in the universe is simply too far away to have made photosynthesis possible or viable.

Do you think the light of the sun is better than the light of God? His light give life

RubyEyes

Truth Seeker
Do you think the light of the sun is better than the light of God? His light give life
Light is a region of the electromagnetic spectrum that happens to be visible to our eyes, which is why we call it "visible light". We can consider it is made up of particles called photons, or waves (duality).

Whatever we consider it to be, it needs to come from a physical source potent enough to produce radiation and emit photons. And on Earth, this has been our star, the Sun. In agreement with the nature of the majority of radiations emitted we have developed our eyes, as have other animals, and as have plants evolved their photosynthetic processes. If our star had emitted more X-ray radiation, life would have developed differently.

Before there was the Sun there was no Earth (which is another mistake, by the way, because the Sun went first on the creation of the Solar System, according to modern astrophysics).

The "light of God" is merely rhethoric you are using. Light is just light, photons, from a star. And our star the Sun is the way God gives us light, so that would be the light of God in any case, and it needed to come first. I'm just saying that I cannot believe in Genesis with these contradictions. The other way it makes much more sense and you don't need to make uncomfortable assumptions and almost resort to magical lights.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Well, I don't know from where you got your truth??? If is not from the Bible....
Truth comes from many different sources, since truth is multifaceted.
Part of the work of the Holy Spirit is to help us understand the truth of the Scriptures.
But that doesn't help us understand the meaning of what is written, why it's written, what the author wanted to say, etc.
I can be certain the Holy Spirit is guiding me, I ask Him to guide me, and I am willing to accept and follow truth as He reveals it to me through His word.
Which is exactly why you come to outrageous conclusions, with regard to the development of the cosmos...

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
**Staff Advisory**

A few posts had to be removed from this thread, as part of a minor thread clean-up.

F0uad

serioja7,
To anyone who has put much study of the Bible,there is absolutely no doubt that the MESSAGE in the Bible came from God, and was as a personal letter,written for all mankind.
There are many reasons to believe in the Holy Scriptures. One is; there are many things written in the Bible that no human on earth knew. Some things man did not know for thousands of years, such as the shape of the earth. There were all kinds of myths about the earth, and how it was made, but the Bible tells us tha it is a sphere 4,500 years ago, when Moses wrote Job, Job 26:7,10, Isa 40:22. Interesting also is the verse at Isa 26:14, which tells us that all the creation is but an edge, or frings of His wats.
In the Mosaic Law Covenant, God gave the Nation of Israel, many laws that kept the people safe from diseases, such as the laws on latrines, the laws on cleanliness, all the eating of meats. Who knew,but God that pork was very dangerous if not kept cold?? Pork was NOT to be eaten by Jews. It is even recorded in the Bible that other nations would be astounded at the Laws form God to Israel, Deut 4:6-8.
A seemingly simple thing was God having written that a rabbit chews the cud, Deut 14:7,8. For thousands of years many critics of the Bible said that this was an error, that the hare does not chew the cud. Only in the middle of the 19th century did scientists find that the hare does ched the cud. WHO KNEW???
Of all the things that prove that the Bible is difinitely the word of God, is PROPHECY. Man cannot prophesy completely accurrate for one minute in the future, but The Bible is almost one third prophecy. Every single one of the prophecies came true at exactly the time written, or they are being fulfilled NOW.
The BOOK of Daniel is almost all prophecy. Most were not understood at the time of writing, but after they were fulfilled it was easy to see exactly how the fulfillment took place. The second chapter of Daniel was not understood until the 20th century, when much of the prophecy was fulfilled. The hugh image stands for the World Powers Babylon, medes and Persions, Greece, Rome, and the Anglo-American world power. The world power that is The United States and Britain is to be the LAST human rule. God's Kingdom will soon crush these kingdoms and put in a Kingdom that will last forever, Dan 2:44.
The Fourth chapter of Daniel, apeaking about the great tree that was to be cut down and banded, was a prophecy about the end of God's rule over mankind as a Theocracy, in 607BC and then the re-estabolishment of that Kingdom agani, with Jesus as the King of this Kingdom. This was fulfilled in 1914, a period of 2,520 years from the time of 607BC. These were a period of seven times. Only in the 20th century was this accurrately understood.
The prophecies about the conquering of Babylon were so exact that some people tried to tell others that they were actually written after the fall of Babylon.
The fact is; no human can predict the future, but God has unfailingly prophesied and also caused the prophecies to be fulfilled.
We, living today are eyewitnesses of prophecies being fulfilled. The 24 chapter of Matthew, 13 chapter of Mark and Luke 21 are many about today. 2Tim 3:1-7. Much of the first chapter of Romans tells about the conditions of today. The end of this system is very near. Only a very few prophecies are yet to be fulfilled and these can come true very quickly. Revelation chapter 13, is very telling about the time we are living in.

Again this? :facepalm: What if i can show you 100 ''Prophecies'' that are in error are you willing to discard the bible being the word of god because your argument is because the bible contains some truth therefore its the word of god.. what makes no sense.

But on the other-hand if we were to look at the errors we simply could say its not the word of god, what if there is a other person or a other book that also ''prophesied'' right are you willing to take that book or person being from god?

Now as a muslim i can say there can be some parts of god inside it but that doesn't mean its all from god, you have to take external-evidence or arguments to proof its from god and not this so called ''prophecies''.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
Some of it.

I say we gotta analize EACH verse to see which brings fruit and which doesn´t.

But God inspired many books, words and people. They all should be analyzed likewise.

obi one

I'm a christian and I believe the bible is God inspired :)

You believe the bible is the inspired word of God because church tradition tells you so. Yeshua states that you will find that the seeds of the tares were sown along with the good wheat seeds. (Mt 13:38) The canon of your bible came from the Roman bishop of Alexandria, Athranasia, in the year 367 A.D.. Athanasius is not the guy you want to bring home to mother. In Revelation 18:4, Yeshua tells you to come out of Babylon, which would include coming out of her daughter's dogmas, creeds, doctrines, and an obsession with her canon. Yeshua gives you guidepost to lead a person.(Mt 18:16,Dt 19:15,Is 8:20) If you do not follow these guide post, then you will most likely get off the narrow path, and onto the wide path to destruction. (Mt 7:13)

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
You believe the bible is the inspired word of God because church tradition tells you so. Yeshua states that you will find that the seeds of the tares were sown along with the good wheat seeds. (Mt 13:38) The canon of your bible came from the Roman bishop of Alexandria, Athranasia, in the year 367 A.D.. Athanasius is not the guy you want to bring home to mother. In Revelation 18:4, Yeshua tells you to come out of Babylon, which would include coming out of her daughter's dogmas, creeds, doctrines, and an obsession with her canon. Yeshua gives you guidepost to lead a person.(Mt 18:16,Dt 19:15,Is 8:20) If you do not follow these guide post, then you will most likely get off the narrow path, and onto the wide path to destruction. (Mt 7:13)
Yeah, except Jesus wasn't talking about the church when he made that statement, and to put that in his mouth is the worst sort of misrepresentation.

The canon was a process that was in the works before (and after) Athanasius. he was instrumental in that process, but was not the whole process.

"Babylon," in Revelation, likely refers to the Roman Empire, not the Church. It has nothing to do with church dogma, creed, doctrine, or canon -- all of which happened after the book was written.

CynthiaCypher

That's not true. Even if I didn't go to church I'd still believe in it because it's God's word.

You know that is circular reasoning. How do you know the Bible is the word of God? Because it says so in the Bible? That's not a good reason to assert that it is the word of God.