• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best resources or scholars

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I would like to gain a more in depth understanding of the formation of the Hebrew Bible as well as the formation of the Jewish people, and just Judaism in general during and around the first century.

Can anyone suggest some sources for this?

A

angellous_evangellous

Where are you located? I might be able to do better than that - I can probably refer you to a Judiaic library.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I'm in North Dakota, Bismarck. I'll be moving to Fargo soon though, just right on the border with Minnesota.

A

angellous_evangellous

OK, you'll need to check out Walter Bruggemann and Jacob Neusner. Both should have extensive bibliographies.

Levite

Higher and Higher
I will post more later, but real quickly and off the top, check out Daniel Boyarin's works (though I don't always agree with all of his conclusions), and, like AE said, Jacob Neusner (though I don't always agree with all of his conclusions, either). Also, though it is hardly academic, you might want to read Milton Steinberg's novel As A Driven Leaf, which is about several famous Rabbis of the second century, but gives you a great sense of Rabbinic society at that time-- I know it's second century and not first, but that's pretty close....

A

angellous_evangellous

Schürer, Emil, 1844-1910.
The history of the Jewish people in the age of Jesus Christ (175 B.C.-A.D. 135) / by Emil Schürer ; [translated by T. A. Burkill ... and others] ; revised and edited by Geza Vermes & Fergus Millar.
Edinburgh : Clark, 1973-

Redefining first-century Jewish and Christian identities : essays in honor of Ed Parish Sanders / edited by Fabian E. Udoh ; with Susannah Heschel, Mark Chancey, and Gregory Tatum.
Notre Dame, Ind. : University of Notre Dame Press, c2008.