• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Meat Substitutes for Vegetarians?

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I grew up in a culture where I developed a taste for meat. Naturally I'm one of those people that uses stuff like soy burgers to fill in the blank.

I like Boca, as far as soy burgers and the like go. I haven't tried Amy's. I find Morning Star has a funky after taste with some of their products.

Tofu is something I simply can't get past the texture of. It's like biting into a deflated sponge. I like Tempeh, when I can find it.

Any good substitutes for meat? Particularly, something in the tofu/tempeh department?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I like no meat burgers, and often make my own. It contains: black beans, lintels, brown rice, chia seeds, garlic, cumin, hot peepers of various sources, chopped onion, mushrooms, and egg as the binder. I guess the purest vegan could substitute an alternate binder.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Tofu is something I simply can't get past the texture of.
Slice the tofu into small squares slabs, deep fat fry them until nearly crisp with a soft center...

Then add them to something with a sauce, like sweet and sour vegetables; the tofu goes like pieces of steak.

We can also freeze tofu, which after defrosting, makes it go like tuna texture.
Any good substitutes for meat?
Quorn meat bits, and mince is fine for vegetarians; the meat bits work to do chicken fajitas.. Yet they have egg in, so they're not suitable for a vegan.

Wouldn't recommend the Quorn vegan bits the same, as they don't hold together well; they'd be fine in something like an ocean pie, as they fall to pieces like fish consistency - Quorn vegan fish fingers work.

In the UK, Morrisons have both meat bits, and mince bits made from fungus of some description, that is vegan, and works for making many things.

Linda McCartney sausages are great for adding into things.

There are loads more home brands, finding clever ways to make meat type products.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Last edited:

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I grew up in a culture where I developed a taste for meat. Naturally I'm one of those people that uses stuff like soy burgers to fill in the blank.

I like Boca, as far as soy burgers and the like go. I haven't tried Amy's. I find Morning Star has a funky after taste with some of their products.

Tofu is something I simply can't get past the texture of. It's like biting into a deflated sponge. I like Tempeh, when I can find it.

Any good substitutes for meat? Particularly, something in the tofu/tempeh department?

Have you tried Seitan?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
No. I wasn't aware there was such a thing. What is it?

It's a meat substitute made out of wheat. If you go onto his main channel, he's got tons of recipes for others as well. If you get tired of the processed soy products, that is.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Ever had monk's vegetables in a Chinese restaurant?

Sapiens

Polymathematician

Boca's just another, albeit higher quality, processed food. I make my own grain burgers. I use eggplant sauteed in really good olive oil as a substitute for meat in most Italian recipe, especially if you add a lot of fennel seeds ... makes things taste like Italian sausage.

allfoak

Alchemist

Hate meat and all meat substitutes.
yuck-smiley-emoticon.gif

Duke_Leto

Do you prefer something that tastes like meat, or do you just want something that can take the place of meat in dishes to bulk them up and such?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Textured vegetable protein - Wikipedia
Soya Chunks Masala Dry

Mushrooms you will know already. If you live near an Indian store, check out a product called "paneer". It's chunks of cottage cheese, but much better, and can be cooked like Indian chicken curry or Chinese chicken saute.
paneer recipes | 85 delicious paneer recipes | easy indian paneer recipes

I don't know how to make or cook burgers. But Indian grilled kebabs are close, and veg substitutes that work there would work in case of burgers too.

10 Best Vegetarian Kebab Recipes

Lentils are also an excellent source of protein. And this recipe is particularly tasty and meat like way of preparing them.
Bengali Lentil Curry - Dhoka Daalna Recipe

Hope these help.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

saw a science/chef make a comparison....

the chemistry you need can be found in a steak....or....
navy beans and lentils

your body won't know the difference.....except for the taste
( and maybe the smell)