• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Benevolent Dicatorships

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
One would assume continuing to have the adoration of the people(by being the chosen successor of the Benevolent/Enlightened Ruler), and the lifestyle that affords you, would be enough. I am not sure as to why it does not work out that way more often.
Because power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely?
I can see one person learning how to rule benevolently, and still surviving a while. But that is the freakish exception to the rule. So two in a row isn't likely.
Tom

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think about a third of the population (at least) of any society or nation is comprised of people who are natural born followers. They instinctively prefer some kind of strongman to rule over them -- perhaps because they are incapable of ruling over themselves. To me, the notion of a "benevolent dictatorship" is romanticism, or perhaps escapism, that mostly appeals to folks who were born to follow.

GoodbyeDave

I've just finish a biography of Louis XVI of France. He abolished torture, established regional assemblies, encouraged agriculture and industry, routed out corruption, cut public expenditure, etc. At every turn he was opposed by vested interests. The revolution broke out because he was too nice: if he'd crushed the Rohans and Orleans, followed the example of his father and suppressed the Parlements, and given rioters a whiff of grapeshot, the reforms could have been given time to succeed.