• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beliefs, tolerance, and the logical paradoxes inherent therein

stemann

Time Bandit
You have the right to your beliefs.
You have the right to free speech.
You must be tolerant and not infringe other people's beliefs.

BUT

What if your beliefs entail calling into question other people's beliefs?
There were more paradoxes meant for here butI think I forgot most of them......

stemann

Time Bandit
Maybe, just maybe......

I'm currently watching an immeasurably exciting Champion's League Final, that's why.

Pah

Uber all member
stemann said:
You have the right to your beliefs.
You have the right to free speech.
You must be tolerant and not infringe other people's beliefs.

BUT

What if your beliefs entail calling into question other people's beliefs?
There were more paradoxes meant for here butI think I forgot most of them......
You have the right to your beliefs - they're in your mind and nobody can take that away from or even permit you to have what is totally private

Your right to free speech is limited. The Constitution has established some limits, every association you belong to has some limits. Criminal law prohibits some forms of free expression. You are not permitted in all cases to speak without restraint. We even have rules, subject to moderator action, that limit free speech.

Do beliefs justify all action? Hardly. The KKK believes one thing but, uinder penalty of law, is prohibited from expressing some of those beliefs. A person in society, whatever the society, is never truely autonomous.

That should answer your concerns.

This topic is better fitted to General Debates