• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being, non-Being/ Some-thing and No-thing

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Perhaps Nothing is that which happens when you're no longer engaged in Being (if Being is that which Is and can Be)?

No....... The something that is me will exist after I am no longer engaged in being. No part of me will become no-thing. All my borrowed atoms will remain. :D

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Nothing just means the absence of something. :p

How about 'Nothingness'?
Some mystics talk about the Deism or God abidiing beyond all things, in the nothingness.

This stretches beyond myself...... I stop at Model Boats Mag, but, you know........ :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I don't know much about Deism - is it similar to pantheism?
Very different.....
Basically .....in as much as the Deist presence (encompassing all) is either unconcerned about us or not holding us in any special level of importance ....... the Theist presence (encompassing all) holds humanity in special interest.

Now hold on to your hat......! :p

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
This is a little story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.

Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.

Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done

(source: Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, And Nobody - humor and jokes about life but it's an old joke)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Somebody was first to say.....I AM!.
I don't think anyone else was there to make Him say it.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Think of this; an object is qualitative to the thought directed upon it.

Hmmm. An "object" may be a "subject" thinking it's own version of "I am" or other self-awareness that we cannot perceive...and directing "objective" thoughts upon us....how would we know?

DayRaven

Beyond the wall
Hmmm. An "object" may be a "subject" thinking it's own version of "I am" or other self-awareness that we cannot perceive...and directing "objective" thoughts upon us....how would we know?

Panpsychism is the belief that mind permeates all matter. To some extent, then, a rock or a pencil contains mind "stuff" but, of course, not of the same nature as a human.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Panpsychism is the belief that mind permeates all matter. To some extent, then, a rock or a pencil contains mind "stuff" but, of course, not of the same nature as a human.
That's a very animistic point of view; not really familiar with panpsychism, guess I'm going to have to go do some reading.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls

Years ago I had several odd experiences where it felt like I was picking up "memories" from the landscape, rocks and things, specific visual images. It might have just been an over-active imagination, but it felt real at the time. And no, there were no mushrooms involved. ;)