• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beginner's questions

Hello,
I have lots of questions about Hinduism. I've started reading about it recently but much of what I have found has been written in a very opaque style, clearly not meant for beginners such as myself.

1. Am I correct in understanding that all the major branches have in common the idea that all deities are the manifestation of a larger divine force and facets of it? Or are there branches where deities are seen as distinct?

2. How many deities do you worship? From what I understand, it's common for people to select only a few deities and worship those, depending on what they identify with most about those deities but don't worship all, since they see worshipping the ones they do as worshipping facets of the divine ultimately so it's not offensive to not worship other deities they don't feel called to. Is this a correct understanding?

3. How did you know which deities to worship if what I said above was correct? Did you choose which ones you felt most drawn to? I've seen people say that it depends on what you want to achieve and gain, what does that mean?

4. How did you know which path to choose? Was it handed down to you by your family? How is it regarded for someone to choose a path that is not predominant where they are from, for example, Shaktism seems to be most common in Northern India from what I've read, so it closed to outsiders like people from other parts of India, non-Indians, etc.?

Another thing, does anyone know of any good resources for beginners about Shaktism? That seems to be the one I'm most interested in, I've read a small guide I found online (linked from here or an Hindu forum, can't remember, I did a lot of research on that day) that explained the basic differences between paths and Shaktism and Shaivism seemed the ones I felt most interested in.

Thank you for your help. I've been reading this forum a lot but a lot of the concepts and discussion are a bit opaque for a beginner, so apologies in advance if my questions sound obvious.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
1) Not really. We vary on this as well. For example, I see Ganesha and Murugan as distinct from Siva.

2. Everybody varies. For me it's 3.

It's not offensive for most people to worship other deities. They may view them differently as they worship them . For example a Smarta Vishnu as a form of the divine whereas a Vaishnavite sees Vishnu as the divine. A Saivite worshipping Vishnu might see Hin as as apect od Siva. But generally the 3 could worship harmoniously together. But they might not talk much.

3. Most people are drawn to one or another by intuition, circumstance, birth, etc.

4. I didn't. He chose me.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Hello,
I have lots of questions about Hinduism. I've started reading about it recently but much of what I have found has been written in a very opaque style, clearly not meant for beginners such as myself.

1. Am I correct in understanding that all the major branches have in common the idea that all deities are the manifestation of a larger divine force and facets of it? Or are there branches where deities are seen as distinct?

2. How many deities do you worship? From what I understand, it's common for people to select only a few deities and worship those, depending on what they identify with most about those deities but don't worship all, since they see worshipping the ones they do as worshipping facets of the divine ultimately so it's not offensive to not worship other deities they don't feel called to. Is this a correct understanding?

3. How did you know which deities to worship if what I said above was correct? Did you choose which ones you felt most drawn to? I've seen people say that it depends on what you want to achieve and gain, what does that mean?

4. How did you know which path to choose? Was it handed down to you by your family? How is it regarded for someone to choose a path that is not predominant where they are from, for example, Shaktism seems to be most common in Northern India from what I've read, so it closed to outsiders like people from other parts of India, non-Indians, etc.?

Another thing, does anyone know of any good resources for beginners about Shaktism? That seems to be the one I'm most interested in, I've read a small guide I found online (linked from here or an Hindu forum, can't remember, I did a lot of research on that day) that explained the basic differences between paths and Shaktism and Shaivism seemed the ones I felt most interested in.

Thank you for your help. I've been reading this forum a lot but a lot of the concepts and discussion are a bit opaque for a beginner, so apologies in advance if my questions sound obvious.

Hello there and welcome!

You will get many answers and it has to do with how much variety there is within Hinduism I can only give you the answers from my particular POV and belief system.

1.) This is generally correct, but there are Polytheistic Hindus.
2.) I came to my path after a lot of exploration, reading and and soul searching. I consider myself a Shakta who'se primary Deity of focus is MahaLakshmi, although I see all forms of shakti as her emanation. She called to me from the beginning. I always felt drawn to her. THe nice thing about Hinduism is most Hindus can enter the temples of other deities beides their primary one andfeel comfortable and joyful about worship. We may *prefer* the temple or celebrations of our chosen deity, but we revel in it all, by and large. For example, I love Shivratri. and Janmastammi as well as Navratri and Diwali.
3.) See above, plus - I dont go to different deities to get different things. I always approach God with the desire simply to be in her/his presents. I try not to ask for things and let god see into my heart and offer me what I need when I need it.
4.) I can't answer the Indian aspect of this question since I don't know. I'm a caucasian westerner and I came to my particular tradition by lots of research and inner searching. Also by asking questions;) Coming from outside india I don't have a Guru lineage or heritage when it comes to Hinduism. I"m working from the ground up.

I would start by visiting a temple if you can. That will give you a feel for it and also you'll be able to ask questions of many different Hindus. Plus, its an amazing experience.

:camp:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I can address some of your questions and points from my perspective. No doubt you've heard that Hinduism is "vast" (it's a term we like to use :D). Others will weigh in with different, similar, and even opposing views from mine, if someone hasn't already done so by the time I finished this. So here goes...

Hinduism can be highly individualistic and customizable even within sects, as long as one holds with a few basics, such as the divine revelation of the Vedas. I think it's safe to say that most Hindus are monotheistic, worshiping one God through any of the many forms, i.e. the deities. There are some deities like Ganesha and Hanuman who are often seen as distinct. But keep in mind that everything is part of God (Brahman), even us. There's a saying "sarvam khalu idam brahma", meaning everything is God.

I daresay that's pretty accurate. Some people might think my 'pantheon' is out of control, but here are mine. They all represent some facet of God that is meaningful to me, my aspirations and goals, and protectors in certain regards. Vishnu and some of his avatars: Krishna, Rama, Narasimha; Shiva; Devi in her forms: Durga, Kali, Saraswati, Lakshmi (and her incarnations); Ganesha; Hanuman.

How I came to choose the deities I did is pretty much in item #2. They are the ones I feel drawn to. It's said the deities call you to them. I don't ask the deities for things other than guidance and protection. That is, I never ask Maa Lakshmi for anything other than to help me get by. I think of Lord Rama when something comes up where I have to decide what is the right thing to do. I ask Lord Hanuman and Lord Narasimha for strength and courage. I ask Maa Saraswati to help me learn. I ask Lord Ganesha to protect me, and to give me "smooth sailing" through life (removing obstacles). And of course they get thanked... profusely. :D

I'm an Italian-American convert from Christianity (through agnostic deism), so I have no family tradition of Hinduism. However, I began to be drawn to Hinduism around age 13, influenced by George Harrison. Even when I was Christian I believed in the Hindu deities, and in Hindu philosophy. Again, the deities are said to draw you to them. Geography has no bearing on what path or deity(ies) you choose. Remember, I'm a Jersey Boy, and my Hinduism is all over the map of India.

Another thing, does anyone know of any good resources for beginners about Shaktism? That seems to be the one I'm most interested in

There are a few Shaktas here that can help.

so apologies in advance if my questions sound obvious.

They're not, so no apologies necessary. Keep asking. :namaste

Thank you so much for your answers, this explains a lot. There are a couple of deities I feel very drawn to, and as silly as this sounds (or maybe it just sounds silly to me) I began considering Hinduism because of having dreamt of some images and deities I didn't know about. I'm not saying it was a message from those deities, not sure if I believe in that, but I was interested in finding out what they were and that's how I cam across some Hindu deities while researching. I also came across them while simply searching for random search terms as I enjoy learning about deities. I began trying to learn more about Hinduism as a result.

I'm also interested in Hinduism because it was the religion of my ancestors. I don't know a whole lot about which deities they worshipped and I don't know how to go about discovering that. I know that in recent years, many people whose families had converted to other religions such as Christianity went back to Hinduism but I don't know how they went about doing this. I'm reluctant to give out details about myself and my family online but if anyone from India knows about the subject and is willing to help I don't mind discussing it through private messages.

I hope this gives some background to my questions. One of the reasons I'm having difficulty is that there's only one Hindu temple I know of in my country and it's not very close to me though I plan on going there when I can. I've looked at their webpage and they say they don't offer guidance for beginners though they don't mind answering questions, that makes me nervous since I don't want to sound ignorant or make them think badly of me, especially if they look at my ethnicity and think I should know about it when I don't.

Once again, thank you so much for the answers to these questions, that's helped a lot in understanding things. I've had experiences both with monotheism and polytheism (I was raised within a monotheistic religion and later converted to a polytheistic one) so I get where you're coming from.

As to what I'd want to gain, I don't want to gain anything... I'm just looking to learn more and if I converted, it would be as a way to seek out solace and some spirituality in my life, the sort of comfort that I miss about having a religion... to go home to, I guess you could say, and maybe that's one of the reasons why I feel so drawn to Shaktism, since I've felt more at ease with goddesses and when I was a Christian I was very drawn to the Virgin Mary and women saints, I just felt more at ease with them.

I was aksing about the "gain" thing because I've seen some replies and posts while researching, where people said which deities you choose to worship and how you worship them depends on what you want to have. I don't particularly want anything material :shrug:

EDIT:

How I came to choose the deities I did is pretty much in item #2. They are the ones I feel drawn to. It's said the deities call you to them. I don't ask the deities for things other than guidance and protection. That is, I never ask Maa Lakshmi for anything other than to help me get by. I think of Lord Rama when something comes up where I have to decide what is the right thing to do. I ask Lord Hanuman and Lord Narasimha for strength and courage. I ask Maa Saraswati to help me learn. I ask Lord Ganesha to protect me, and to give me "smooth sailing" through life (removing obstacles). And of course they get thanked... profusely. :D

I'm an Italian-American convert from Christianity (through agnostic deism), so I have no family tradition of Hinduism. However, I began to be drawn to Hinduism around age 13, influenced by George Harrison. Even when I was Christian I believed in the Hindu deities, and in Hindu philosophy. Again, the deities are said to draw you to them. Geography has no bearing on what path or deity(ies) you choose. Remember, I'm a Jersey Boy, and my Hinduism is all over the map of India.

You replied to the thread while I was typing up my reply, so I didn't see your post until I had posted mine. Thank you for your reply! I think what you're saying about what you want is what I feel also. What I'd want to "gain" is more spiritual solace and strength to go through life.

I didn't know Geography had no bearing. This is good to know. I was afraid to be disrespectful, as out of the deities I feel most drawn to, from my research some have a strong tradition of being worshipped where my family is from but others have a stronger tradition in a region that is not my own, and I wouldn't want to appropriate anyone's culture without being entitled to it. I don't know a whole lot about Indian politics and the relationships between regions for many reasons so this was a concern for me. It's good to know it's ok.

Last edited:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Hello,

The answer to every question posed to members of the Hindu DIR by seekers:​

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[youtube]A846ZC9AoQQ[/youtube]

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
and as silly as this sounds (or maybe it just sounds silly to me) I began considering Hinduism because of having dreamt of some images and deities I didn't know about.

I'm also interested in Hinduism because it was the religion of my ancestors. I don't know a whole lot about which deities they worshipped and I don't know how to go about discovering that. I know that in recent years, many people whose families had converted to other religions such as Christianity went back to Hinduism but I don't know how they went about doing this. I'm reluctant to give out details about myself and my family online but if anyone from India knows about the subject and is willing to help I don't mind discussing it through private messages.

I hope this gives some background to my questions. One of the reasons I'm having difficulty is that there's only one Hindu temple I know of in my country and it's not very close to me though I plan on going there when I can.

A lot of newcomers to Hinduism start by having dreams. You are not alone at all.
The Arya Samaj in India is well know for doing mass conversions back to Hinduism, especially in tribal areas where aggressive Christian proselytizing got converts by promises of jobs etc. The Arya samaj remain active in this way.

It would help to know your country, maybe there are more Hindu temples someone here knows about, and there would be a Hindu history there, so you could find out more about your ancestors.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
As a Shakta of two years, I've found that while there are Scriptures specific to Shaktas, they really don't tell you how to worship or even why to worship. They are more of an addendum to worship. There are instructions online for how to perform a puja, and some are more elaborate than others. I would start out slow and simply keep a picture of Devi (whichever you feel most drawn to) to offer prayers to.

One book I can recommend is "Invoking Lakshmi" by Constantina Rhodes. While it's Lakshmi Specific, it gives you a detailed history of this form of the goddess, her worship and even offers an instruction on how to do puja (including all the samagri - or ingredients you'll need)

Another one is, "The Goddess Lives in Upstate New York" by Corinne Dempsey. This one is about a temple from the perspective of an outside researcher but she goes into great depth at certain points about Goddess worship as she observes it. It's a very interesting read.

The "Devi Mahatmayam" is a Shakta Scripture which details her defeat of various demons. It's meant as an expression of her strength and devotion to her followers during our most difficult times.

I Would also read the Gita and the Ramayana. They aren't Shakta, but they are important for when you're just starting out. (I found them useful anyway)

Hope this helps.

A lot of newcomers to Hinduism start by having dreams. You are not alone at all.
The Arya Samaj in India is well know for doing mass conversions back to Hinduism, especially in tribal areas where aggressive Christian proselytizing got converts by promises of jobs etc. The Arya samaj remain active in this way.

It would help to know your country, maybe there are more Hindu temples someone here knows about, and there would be a Hindu history there, so you could find out more about your ancestors.

I had no idea that was so common (the dreams)! That's interesting to know.

Is it ok if I PM you? It sounds like you may be knowledgeable about this or be able to point me in the right direction. I can tell you my current country and the region my family is from within India if that would help.

As a Shakta of two years, I've found that while there are Scriptures specific to Shaktas, they really don't tell you how to worship or even why to worship. They are more of an addendum to worship. There are instructions online for how to perform a puja, and some are more elaborate than others. I would start out slow and simply keep a picture of Devi (whichever you feel most drawn to) to offer prayers to.

One book I can recommend is "Invoking Lakshmi" by Constantina Rhodes. While it's Lakshmi Specific, it gives you a detailed history of this form of the goddess, her worship and even offers an instruction on how to do puja (including all the samagri - or ingredients you'll need)

Another one is, "The Goddess Lives in Upstate New York" by Corinne Dempsey. This one is about a temple from the perspective of an outside researcher but she goes into great depth at certain points about Goddess worship as she observes it. It's a very interesting read.

The "Devi Mahatmayam" is a Shakta Scripture which details her defeat of various demons. It's meant as an expression of her strength and devotion to her followers during our most difficult times.

I Would also read the Gita and the Ramayana. They aren't Shakta, but they are important for when you're just starting out. (I found them useful anyway)

Hope this helps.

Thank you, this helps a lot! I'm going to start looking into all those materials. Starting slow sounds good to me, if I decide to start -- I'm still doing a lot of thinking and researching, as I wouldn't want to commit to something and then suddenly find out it's just not for me and break my commitments.

The answer to every question posed to members of the Hindu DIR by seekers:​

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[youtube]A846ZC9AoQQ[/youtube]

I'm intrigued, I'll listen to it soon since I'm heading offline in a bit but will come back later. Thanks!

Kalidas

Hello,

As you may have guess the answer you receive will be different so here is where I stand

1. That is a popular though but it is not always the idea people have. I happen to be a pantheistic, soft polytheistic, monotheist in practice. I believe there is one ultimate power pervading throughout the universe (and is IN FACT the universe) some say Brahman but I would be more inclined to call it parashakti(I am shakta much like Fireside is), in all actuality it has infinite forms and is infinitely formless. From this all pervading divine there are the Gods physical manifestation of the powers that rule the universe. Think of it like a bright light hitting a prism and breaking off into many lights. It is all one bright white light but spread out into many colors.

2. I really only worship one, Kali Maa. But what Fireside is correct I have a great adoration of all the deities. I mostly stick to just worshiping one for my own simplistic sake. I feel better offering my devotion all to one form than spread my devotion thin among many. Others like Jain there likes to "spread the love" this is okay, its all in what helps YOU. Vinayaka once explained it as having 100$. I may like my money as one giant 100$ bill. Some want 5 20$'s or 10 10$'s or Jain here likes to have 100 1$'s bills ;). We all have 100$.

3. I did not choose her she chose me(you will hear that A LOT). I did not know who or how to worship so someone gave me the advice to just start worshiping whomever search by doing basically. The first deity I was attracted to and began worshipping was Kali. Well I just simply felt a great love that entire day and it became clear, Mother Kali had decided to adopt me I have been her devoted son ever since.

4. refer above ... lol. I like many on here am a White Western Christian convert.

So as I stated I happen to be a shakta! It is really awesome if I do say so myself. there is a Shakta discussion going on you should check it out. Also a good religious book to read would the Devi Bhagavatam...when you are ready of course.

1. That is a popular though but it is not always the idea people have. I happen to be a pantheistic, soft polytheistic, monotheist in practice. I believe there is one ultimate power pervading throughout the universe (and is IN FACT the universe) some say Brahman but I would be more inclined to call it parashakti(I am shakta much like Fireside is), in all actuality it has infinite forms and is infinitely formless. From this all pervading divine there are the Gods physical manifestation of the powers that rule the universe. Think of it like a bright light hitting a prism and breaking off into many lights. It is all one bright white light but spread out into many colors.

I think I understand what you're saying and I like this way of seeing things :D

As to the "I didn't choose this deity, this deity chose me", don't worry, I'm quite used to hearing that due to my own previous experiences within the Pagan community. :D

I like your example of the 100$ bill. I'd personally find it easier to worship 1-2 deities on a regular basis, I found polytheism very exhausting when I was trying to worship multiple deities on a regular basis.

Is there something in Hinduism where, if you try worshipping a deity, you'll have to stick with them? Once I'm ready, I'd like to start worship, as a sort of saying "hi" to a deity, but I wouldn't want to mess up if it turned out Hinduism and I were just not a good fit for each other if this makes sense. I know some religions have that, where beginning to worship sounds more like a binding contract than anything, while in others it's ok if you end up worshipping other deities instead or find out it's not the religion for you one day. I hope I've worded this correctly.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I'm polytheistic; I believe in the Vishve-Devah
and their associated Dual-Ordinances (as that
which is sanctioned by Shruti, itself) - these
are 33 Deva-s.

I do not believe in an Absolute, One True Almighty
God. As a Mimamsaka, I find the existence of
an Absolute to be unsubstantiated. The existence
of the 33 Deva-s can be derived from the Trayi-
Veda-s (Rig, Sama, & Yajur), since if those mantra-s
are to be non-authored by man and if they are
from divine heritage/origin, the mentioning of
the 33 Deva-s is valid - outside of those mantra-s,
their existence is not necessary.​

image59.png
That is one perspective, and quite the minority perspective
in the world of Hinduism that is present today, both online &
in the real world.​

Kalidas

I'm polytheistic; I believe in the Vishve-Devah
and their associated Dual-Ordinances (as that
which is sanctioned by Shruti, itself) - these
are 33 Deva-s.

I do not believe in an Absolute, One True Almighty
God. As a Mimamsaka, I find the existence of
an Absolute to be unsubstantiated. The existence
of the 33 Deva-s can be derived from the Trayi-
Veda-s (Rig, Sama, & Yajur), since if those mantra-s
are to be non-authored by man and if they are
from divine heritage/origin, the mentioning of
the 33 Deva-s is valid - outside of those mantra-s,
their existence is not necessary.​

image59.png
That is one perspective, and quite the minority perspective
in the world of Hinduism that is present today, both online &
in the real world.​

Oh but you know we love you! Our Polytheistic brother!

Kalidas

Thanks, homie! Keep in mind, that
perspective of mine probably does scare
a lot of One-Ring-to-Rule-Them-All Hindus.

As I stated I'm a soft polytheist. I don't really view Brahman as "God", just merely the divine essence that makes up everything in the universe. the deities are in fact Gods though.

I think you and I are a lot closer in belief than you think. I just think there is one divine essence but that essence can not really be defined as God per se.

Maya3

Welcome to the forum!
Everyone has already given you excellent answers, so instead of going through the list again I´ll answer the one below.
I also want to point out that you don´t sound ignorant at all. You know a lot allready, it´s obvious from the way you ask your questions.

Is there something in Hinduism where, if you try worshipping a deity, you'll have to stick with them? Once I'm ready, I'd like to start worship, as a sort of saying "hi" to a deity, but I wouldn't want to mess up if it turned out Hinduism and I were just not a good fit for each other if this makes sense. I know some religions have that, where beginning to worship sounds more like a binding contract than anything, while in others it's ok if you end up worshipping other deities instead or find out it's not the religion for you one day. I hope I've worded this correctly.

You cant really mess anything up. The worship is for you and your connection to God in whatever way feels best. If you try one and it doesn´t feel right it is better to look around and see where you fit.

I don´t have any, I´m advaitin and don´t worship any of them per se. Though I like Ganesha, Shiva and Lakshmi and Saraswati. But it´s more because I like the rituals not because I feel that I have chosen that form of God. I see God as pure energy without form.

Maya

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member

That really depends on the school as well as the individual. Personally, I see the deities in two ways: as the representation/manifestation of Brahman and as representations of our own potential divinity. Of course, that is more of a liberal, non-sectarian kind of Hinduism I practice. More traditional schools would either see the deities (at least some) as manifestations of a specific supreme Godhead or as separate entities altogether.

I'm still trying to find a Sampraday to call home. In the mean time, I have a few deities whom I reflect upon and contemplate. These deities being Vishnu, Shiva, Ganesha, Hanuman, Narasimha, and Devi.

I suppose that is a general correct understanding, but it all goes back to ones school and individual preference.

I felt them call to me. Specifically, they all fulfill a certain role for my practice in one way or another. Vishnu and Shiva melt away my ego, Ganesha is a great teacher full of wisdom, Hanuman I feel is almost like a family member of mine whom I have just met, Narasimha as a protector and semi-father figure of sorts, and Devi is the feminine side to complete the wholeness of reality.

I'm a white adoptee of Hinduism, so it's not a family tradition for me. In fact, my family doesn't know that I'm not a Christian.

I don't think Shaktism would be that closed off, if at all. There are quite a few Shakta temples outside of India; including the west. If you were to go to one, I think you would be welcome.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
1. Am I correct in understanding that all the major branches have in common the idea that all deities are the manifestation of a larger divine force and facets of it?

2. How many deities do you worship? From what I understand, it's common for people to select only a few deities and worship those, depending on what they identify with most about those deities but don't worship all, since they see worshiping the ones they do as worshiping facets of the divine ultimately so it's not offensive to not worship other deities they don't feel called to. Is this a correct understanding?

1. Depends. My family is sort of Smarta. We worshiped all Gods and Goddesses. In discussions we could accept that all are forms of one. Very flexible attitude.
2. Now I am an atheist advaitist Hindu, which means, I do not accept existence of Gods and Goddesses; but I accept the existence of one entity (not a being) from which the universe and all that it contains has arisen. I still rever the Gods and Goddesses, they are part of my culture, and I have no issue with other Hindus worshiping one or more Gods or Goddesses. Most Hindus will have a chosen deity but would have no problem in worshiping other deities.
3. Yes, drawn to. I was drawn to Rama the most. Rama because he was so dutiful and just, and I like that. I do not know if the deities help one achieve or gain, other than in a psychological way.
4. These are personal beliefs, the path always is 'dharma' (fulfillment of one's duties and engaging in righteous action). This training is 'samskaras', and that is what my family inculcated in me. North India is majorly Shaiva and Vaishnava, though Shakti also is popular. Shaktism has its base in East India, Bengal, Assam, Odisha, etc.

Have you checked BBC - Hinduism and Hinduism - About.com. They are nice. Many a times websites may belong to one denomition or one guru and may not give you an unbiased picture. This forum will be an excellent place to discuss any doubts that you may have.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I don't know a whole lot about Indian politics and the relationships between regions for many reasons so this was a concern for me. It's good to know it's ok.
Ask any question and we will try to give the best answer - in the appropriate forum. For example, We have an ongoing Indian political topic at http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/political-world/163153-you-happy-bjp-modi-won-indian.html and http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...a-worlds-largest-democracy-begins-voting.html. I hope you will find them interesting.
Is there something in Hinduism where, if you try worshipping a deity, you'll have to stick with them?
That is not a problem. Say 'Hi' to all, and even after you choose your particular deity, you can still say 'Hi' to all others. I have changed my deities from Shiva to Rama to Krishna. And it is still 'Hi' to all even after I have become an atheist. Maya has explained the point well.

Last edited: