• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beacon Press bias?

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar
I was purusing some of the books on Beacon Press. What I have noticed is that a number of the books published seem to have a bias towards social liberalism, especially New Deal liberalism or even sympathetic to New Left liberalism. If this is true, then does Beacon Press have a progressive bias? If a UU wanted to publish a book arguing the case for private-market capitalism, could that UU get his (or her) book published? What about a book arguing against a living wage or arguing the end of affirmative action?

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
The mission of Beacon Press is to affirm and promote these principles: the inherent worth and dignity of every person; justice, equity and compassion in human relations; acceptance of one another; a free and responsible search for truth and meaning; the right of conscience and the use of the democratic process in society; the goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all; respect for the interdependent web of all existence; and the importance of literature and the arts in democratic life.
The books that the Beacon Press publishes necessarily must touch on themes that are consistent with these principles. It is perhaps more than a coincidence that certain directions are consistent with these principles and other directions are not.

seeker57

I was purusing some of the books on Beacon Press. What I have noticed is that a number of the books published seem to have a bias towards social liberalism, especially New Deal liberalism or even sympathetic to New Left liberalism. If this is true, then does Beacon Press have a progressive bias? If a UU wanted to publish a book arguing the case for private-market capitalism, could that UU get his (or her) book published? What about a book arguing against a living wage or arguing the end of affirmative action?

I think you may be confusing book publishers and news organizations. Reporters and their respective news agencies, were supposed to be unbiased and neutral. I know that is the ideal and not the norm, but that is another topic.

Book publishers can pick and choose what they wish to publish. In the mainstream publishing business, it is usually based on what will sell the most copies, which is why many of the big box stores stock large supplies of books penned by shock jocks and talk show hosts, many of whom promoting some of the ideas you have raised.

The fact that Beacon Press is guided by a set of principles rather than the almighty dollar is something that lends it more credence, at least in my book. (sorry, couldn't resist.) I know at the onset that the selections found at Beacon Press will most likely lean more toward progressive or liberal thinking, because that thinking supports the principles.

But, having said that, I think if the author grounded his arguments for private market capitalism, etc., in those principles, I would think they should probably publish the book.

Last edited:

applewuud

Beacon Press is one of the last publishing houses owned and operated by a denomination. It is barely self-supporting, and is supported in part by the UUA. It is on a particular mission to publish books that other houses will not publish (the Pentagon Papers is the most famous example). Since there are many conservative publishing houses and those books will get published, there's no reason for Beacon to get involved.