• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Batman

The Crimson Universe

Recommend me some Batman comics from the 80s, 90s or 00s that are stand-alone or limited/short series. The ones that doesn't crosses over to other series.

I'm not completely new to DC but i'm not super familiar with everything in the DC universe either. Like i don't know anything about Bane, Ra's Al-Ghul or the Owl secret society.
Where do you think i should start from, to have a better grasp of the history of the characters or plotlines?
Thanks.

Jedster

I had a great collection of DC comics including Batman, Superman etc.
Unfortunately my dear mother threw them out when I was on holiday after finishing uni. (She thought I had grown up:()
This was in the late 1960s.

Regarding your question re:Bane, Ra's Al-Ghul or the Owl, I would suggest Batman movies(Dark Knight series in particular).

Also, I have many DC graphic books and comics, but mainly Superman. If your interest is ever in the Superman direction, I would be happy to give them to you.

I am almost 74 and have decided to grow up....I think.:)

The Crimson Universe

I had a great collection of DC comics including Batman, Superman etc.
Unfortunately my dear mother threw them out when I was on holiday after finishing uni. (She thought I had grown up:()
This was in the late 1960s.

Regarding your question re:Bane, Ra's Al-Ghul or the Owl, I would suggest Batman movies(Dark Knight series in particular).

Also, I have many DC graphic books and comics, but mainly Superman. If your interest is ever in the Superman direction, I would be happy to give them to you.

I am almost 74 and have decided to grow up....I think.:)

Sad to hear that your comics were thrown away. If only people knew that comics aren't always meant for kids.
Even back in the 1940s/1950s (no, i wasn't alive back then, lol) a lot of crime and horror comics published by EC, Goldkey etc. portrayed a lot of violence and disturbing scenes.
I remember the cover image of the reprinted editions of "Crime Does Not Pay" where a woman's head was shoved into a burning stove by his lover. I believe these comics are mostly directed towards the grown up audience. :=)

And thanks for suggesting me the movies. I think i watched one of them, but a long time ago. Need to rewatch them.

Superman is one of my favorites. But sadly i didn't get the chance to read any of his stuff. Saw a couple of Supe's movies back in the late 80s or early 90s and since then i'm a huge fan. Would love to hear about your Superman collection. :)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Personally I would recommend Frank Miller’s Year One graphic Novel. It sets the stage for the “darker” Batman lore.
Also is one of the obvious inspirations behind the Nolan film trilogy, if you like those. (I do like that film trilogy. But that’s not my favourite Batman portrayal, just for me personally. Still epic though, don’t get me wrong.)
The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb is also a personal fave and another source that Nolan drew from. And funnily enough DC not too long ago released the second part in a two part direct to dvd animated film adaptation. (I may or may not have the entire library on DVD lol.)
He also did one called Dark Victory, though it is considered a direct sequel to Long Halloween, be forewarned.
If you want some Joker love, the obvious choices are the Man Who Laughs by Ed Brubaker and Alan Moore’s The Killing Joke.
Death in the Family by Jim Starlin is also one of those “must reads” for the Caped Crusader fans.

And why not show some love for the Golden Age? I have several collections of the various ages for DC. I have the Golden, Silver and so called Bronze Age for Batman but I have the Golden age collections for Supes as well.

Yeah I’m a massive Batman fan, in case you couldn’t tell lol. He has been my absolute favourite superhero since I was a kid.

I’m so stoked for the new The Batman movie. March 3 release where I live. Can’t wait.

The Crimson Universe

Personally I would recommend Frank Miller’s Year One graphic Novel. It sets the stage for the “darker” Batman lore.
Also is one of the obvious inspirations behind the Nolan film trilogy, if you like those. (I do like that film trilogy. But that’s not my favourite Batman portrayal, just for me personally. Still epic though, don’t get me wrong.)
The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb is also a personal fave and another source that Nolan drew from. And funnily enough DC not too long ago released the second part in a two part direct to dvd animated film adaptation. (I may or may not have the entire library on DVD lol.)
He also did one called Dark Victory, though it is considered a direct sequel to Long Halloween, be forewarned.
If you want some Joker love, the obvious choices are the Man Who Laughs by Ed Brubaker and Alan Moore’s The Killing Joke.
Death in the Family by Jim Starlin is also one of those “must reads” for the Caped Crusader fans.

And why not show some love for the Golden Age? I have several collections of the various ages for DC. I have the Golden, Silver and so called Bronze Age for Batman but I have the Golden age collections for Supes as well.

Yeah I’m a massive Batman fan, in case you couldn’t tell lol. He has been my absolute favourite superhero since I was a kid.

I’m so stoked for the new The Batman movie. March 3 release where I live. Can’t wait.

Thanks for the recommendations. :=)

After Batman Year One, do you think i should read its sequels - Year Two and Year Three?
... or after Year One should i jump right into TDKR Triology (like The Dark Knight Returns, The Dark Knight Strikes Again and The Dark Knight III: The Master Race)?

I did finish The Long Halloween a few years ago and i loved it. :=)

I've been thinkin of grabbing the Golden Age omnibuses in physical book format for the last four years. I think they were released by DC around 2018, but i always ended up buying some other comics. And now i think their price has gone up. Not sure if i can afford them. :(

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for the recommendations. :=)

After Batman Year One, do you think i should read its sequels - Year Two and Year Three?
... or after Year One should i jump right into TDKR Triology (like The Dark Knight Returns, The Dark Knight Strikes Again and The Dark Knight III: The Master Race)?

Hmm. I suppose it depends on what you’re looking for. I tend to be a bit scatterbrained so I think I read it all out of order and didn’t really notice lol. But if you want to connect with Bruce as a character, imo, you should read the Year 2 and 3. Just to see how he develops into the “worlds greatest detective.” (Which is a bit of an egotistical a title, ngl.)
For that particular iteration of the character anyway.

The TDK trilogy is pretty awesome but I think is more for folks who like that version of the character. I mean Miller’s work can be a bit “edgy” lol.

I did finish The Long Halloween a few years ago and i loved it. :=)

It so awesome, right!!? I think I’m due for a reread. That and Hush.

I've been thinkin of grabbing the Golden Age omnibuses in physical book format for the last four years. I think they were released by DC around 2018, but i always ended up buying some other comics. And now i think their price has gone up. Not sure if i can afford them. :(
Oh that sucks. Did you try online copies?
Or maybe try second hand