• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basic Principles of Sufi Path

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The following list is about what a sufi see as principles of life and practice. I realize i have a long way to go before i will be a sufi who please Allah in a good way.

What is Sufism in Islam? (scienceandsufism.com)
Basic Principles of Sufi Path

It is possible to gather the basic principles of Sufi Path in ten terms. If one wants to be successful in the Sufism, he must put these principles into practice.

Repentance

Repentance is to turn to God with the request of Muslim. He decides to give up the sins and not to return them again for ever. He turns to God to forgive the sins committed. Sin is a veil between God and His servants. He must be cleaned of sin in order to achieve a clean state in front of God. For this reason Muslim must turn to God with a trustworthy repentance.

Asceticism

Asceticism is to stay far away from the worldly unnecessary wealth, property and beauty. People should be satisfied with just having enough to him. All the unnecessary things should be left. The unnecessary things occupy the heart and prevent the remembrance of God.

Trusting to God

Everything is caused by God’s will and power. So Muslim must rely primarily to God in every job. However, he must not abstain from taking preventive measures. But he should think that the measures taken would work only by the will of God.

Contentment

Contentment is to leave something other than the needs and desires which are essential to live. In the fulfillment of essential needs, eating, drinking and household, is not to waste and not to go beyond necessities. Decreasing in eating and drinking reduces the desiring power of nafs. The reduction of lust power of nafs relaxes the heart.

Solitude

Solitude means being with the public as being in need of. So Muslim refrains from engagement with people except the needs. Because the excessive engagement with the public causes heart to be busy with them. Most of these associations are to engage in business with leisure. But in Sufism it is not recognized as a nice behavior for heart not to mention God even for a moment. Besides solitude would weaken the lust power of nafs. This also provides great benefits in the not affecting of the nafs to heart.

Continuous Remembrance

Continuous remembrance means to mention only Him forgetting all except God. It is ordered in many verses of Quran that people ought to mention God often. All obligatory worship as each of supererogatory worship are the glorification of God. If it is required to be close to God, Muslim should increase his supererogatory worships. He should also insert the remembrance of God in his heart by making the mention of God frequently. Apart from that in every things he sees and hears, must cite the evidence pointing to God.

Turning to God

The main aim of Muslim is to know God and to attain Him. Therefore, he must turn Him with all his heart and with action. The aim of these every job should be to win His pleasure. There is no any desired, loved and intended other than God. Even if people turn away from God though for a moment, he losses a lot. Whereas the aim of people must always be with Him and gain His approval.

Patience

Patience is to stay away from everything which nafs likes. A way to stand against non-essential demands of nafs is to be patient by not carrying out the demands of nafs. But this not an easy deal. Nafs wishes always to eat much, to live without working, to be in public. If one conforms to lust and desires of nafs, would have wasted his life. The life is the unique capital of people in order to win his afterlife. For this reason, it is said in a hadith :

“Heaven is surrounded by hardship and difficulties, and Hell is surrounded with desires and pleasure.” (Bukhari, Muslim)

Contemplation

People should have the longing to be reunited with God. For this aim one should contemplate God in his every acting. Because there is no other trustful shelter than God. One should ask only God for help. He should wait in front of the door of God by begging and crying for the diving into His spiritual ocean. Finally God opens the door and shows His servant the beauty of His light and knowledge.

Consent

The aim of Muslim must be to win the consent of God. He should not raise any objection against the decisions and deeds of God. He submits himself to the will of God by deputing Him in his all businesses.

If Muslims complies with these principles, gives God him a light through that he walks among the people sagaciously and observes the real situation of people. This means the servant is the owner of exploration. So he knows divine sense of unseen without thinking and contemplation. This is a very honorable beauty bestowed to people by Sufism.

Last edited:

juberlock

Second, make sure you also get someone who is knowledgeable to help explain things or you might find yourself coming to wrong conclusions. Don't forget that sufi books and manuals are also mystic documents in and of themselves and are also very refrential and precise in language - so be of those who listen and follow what is best. What doesnt make sense or isnt completely clear to you should be clarified and explained properly before you put it into use. As a personal example the information my teacher produced to Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin me from reading the first 2 pages of purification of soul by sidi Iskandari radi Allah 3nho was more that I understood from reading the entire book on my own.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Second, make sure you also get someone who is knowledgeable to help explain things or you might find yourself coming to wrong conclusions. Don't forget that sufi books and manuals are also mystic documents in and of themselves and are also very refrential and precise in language - so be of those who listen and follow what is best. What doesnt make sense or isnt completely clear to you should be clarified and explained properly before you put it into use. As a personal example the information my teacher produced to Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin me from reading the first 2 pages of purification of soul by sidi Iskandari radi Allah 3nho was more that I understood from reading the entire book on my own.
I have a Shaykh as my teacher, not walking this path alone :)