• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basant Panchami!

carmenara

For the past two months I had inexplicably put off taking a management course I was paid to attend. I just had no motivation to do it.

Only today I had a strong urge to start studying. No idea why.

Suddenly I was told it was Saraswati Puja day! Oh dear.

On my way to temple now to pay my respects... And then back to studying.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
For the past two months I had inexplicably put off taking a management course I was paid to attend. I just had no motivation to do it.

An image of Saraswati hitting truant students on the head with her Veena flashed through my mind. :p

ajay0

This has happened to me too on certain auspicious days. I am more into Jnana and Raja yoga. Not much into bhakti.

On certain days, my morning meditation goes very well without much effort and I used to wonder about this. Checking the newspaper or later on the day, I then find that the day is associated with some festival. This is especially true during Durga Puja and Diwali.

Perhaps the collective sattvic or positive vibes generated by bhakti yoga, may have had a supportive effect on my meditation too.

carmenara

It was funny as I got to apply whatever I learned this week into fixing a lot of high level issues at the workplace. Like I was finally given a chance to shine, and without any hint of ambition on my part even. Things just happen that I simply felt I could take on and did.

I felt it ridiculous at first where everyone piled on their woes on me but I was never scared to handle anything and give a word of advice here and there to soothe tensions, develop talent and ensure I will have a path upwards if people want to continue piling their woes on me. If wisdom and a listening ear is what they seek... :)

Finally after an ardous week I get to watch a movie I've been waiting 3 months and which I entered a dance competition (blindly!) for. It was very good, and now I get even more myths and legends to tell my subjects :)

Very few people turned up for Saraswati Puja, but it seems like a time of wonderful blessing for those who do.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That is unfortunate but true. Devotion to Saraswti has decreased due to materialism and politics in India. But I am not disheartened. It is a cycle. Saraswati will regain her prime position. I see signs of it.

Shantanu

Until people become more sincere and studious to gain knowledge they cannot appreciate the need to be devotional to Saraswati.

carmenara

That is unfortunate but true. Devotion to Saraswti has decreased due to materialism and politics in India. But I am not disheartened. It is a cycle. Saraswati will regain her prime position. I see signs of it.

My experience in life tells me time and time again wisdom and knowledge is the solution to all problems in the material world.

From influencing others to look beyond ego and pride,
to working around and bringing to justice people who refuse to help others so as to profit from their downfall.

Doing these with Maa Saraswati's blessing makes it feel very different though - felt like channeling the wisdom of the ages onto a world that has descended into chaos. This time they didn't dispute me but acted with acceptance and compliance.

And when all's said and done people who used to question my (newly found) faith texted me asking me to perform ghoomar for them this weekend.

LOL.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
And when all's said and done people who used to question my (newly found) faith texted me asking me to perform ghoomar for them this weekend. LOL.
These day, 'ghoomer' is a prohibited word in North India (joking). That is due to the depiction of Rani Padmavati's dance in a film. Kshatriya women do not perform 'ghoomar' dances even in their palaces. But you might not be aware of the happenings here.

The film makers had to cover actress Deepika Padukone's waist to get government's OK for releasing the film.

Last edited:

carmenara

When I first performed at the contest we were cautioned by the organizers not to share although the footage would be likely kept by them and shared with the filmmakers (as I learned from a few other following events this company did to promote upcoming films).

This evening I went to town to find a Saraswati statue and nearby around the same timethere was an Indian band I was familar playing some experimental music and in the sequence of songs was a Sufi and their rendition of Aigiri Nandini. The band had been playing for the past couple of weekends but very few people turned up due to the odd location and that there are a very lesser known band.

There was a lady behind me who kept pestering me to go and dance and after a few moments of mock hesitation , "Are you sure? I will do it in front of the stage. Yes. There. In front of everyone." With wide eyed amazement she and all the audience watched as...

I performed the whole Deepika Padukone choreo as in the above video and the audience loved it. Most were either not knowing or did not want to follow the Padmavaat saga because of what transpired previously, but I assured them as a creative work there was nothing wrong to it and ranks very highly as a medieval-fantasy film that I rate similar to Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones.

And uhh, I was dressed up like cosplaying the Rajput king from the movie (with a new golden kurtha my dear colleague and friend brought me from Chennai, across the ocean!) and I'm pretty sure no Rajput king performs ghoomar.

They got the joke immediately, and everyone liked the performance, some even joined in.

After the show I discussed about visiting India (some of them just arrived from India), Hinduism, my introduction to it through dance and music, and some shared they were comforted when I stood up and told them Aigiri Nandini was my favorite devotional song - they were concerned not knowing if the audience was into such songs.

Very soon we had a multi-cultural discussion where knowledge of various dance forms from Turkey, Arabian songs and mysticism were shared; I didn't realize I was familiar with quite a bit of Arabian culture and history based on past interests and it is the first time in my life I have presented these topics.

Then it was time to part ways, most of the band were packing up after their final show and the audience had dissolved, leaving me alone with the band members. I told them I'll be buying a Saraswati idol, and immediately it started raining, for just a few minutes like it was a message just for me.

We'll meet up again next week at a community meditation event - I was asked what type of songs I'd like to hear, and because it's a meditation event, something calm and spiritual would certainly please everyone, given the concert will be after 1-2 hours of meditation.

As for Maa Sarasvati... It took some looking to find an idol of her, the shop arrangement had changed since I got the Durga Mashishasura Mardini. The one I picked that had the 'sign' of acceptance, that feeling of gentle warmth and spiritual connection when I look at it, was all the way in the back of the shelf. It's twice the size of the Masishasura I bought previously and the cashier started a long conversation with me not believing I am Hindu and that I actually pray to Chinese gods. I said no... and I just finished a dance performance nearby and have earlier in the week commemorated Basant Panchami in my own way... used wisdom and knowledge to change perceptions and give harmony to all the warring factions in my workplace and ease the hearts of people who I performed for just now...

And as I wait for dinner to be delivered I shall dedicate tomorrow to studying and writing a couple of notes to the musicians just now who made it all possible playing Aigiri Nandini specially for me.

----

I just reached home and my mom asked for the first time about Hindu things so I introduced her to Durga and Saraswati. Where previously there was hesitance or signs of not accepting, peoples' perceptions have shifted gradually to be positive.

Last edited:

carmenara

So... the ending to this story is I was offered a very, very big promotion after some Very Important and Senior People noticed what I was doing, integrating formerly warring factions within the organization, sharing knowledge and offering to help others in need even if its out of my scope.

A message came - do you want to take over the entire site?
I said a big NO at first because I thought myself supremely under-qualified and this is a very high risk operation at stake here, nor do I have any experience doing management on a large scale. Plus, if I took up the 3 positions I was offered previously to 3 different people, how would it affect their families?

I was finally called for a meeting with a quite shocked manager who said I could do the role if I wanted to, it was after all designed for my capabilities and they had negotiated for it specially for me. There would be people to guide me along the way and take it slowly so as to gain the respect of people I will be working with.

So after the meeting we talked about the position openly - people seemed supportive, and willing to offer things to help me out with my first meeting this coming Monday...

I'm sure I will be paying respects to Maa Saraswati again in thanks. I would also tell people how important 22nd January was this year :)