• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baptized into the Name

Kemosloby

Premium Member
The Father is God, the Son is Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit is... I don't know what that is and I don't care what it is.

If this were a Satanic Conspiracy, are you saying people who got baptized under "the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost" are going to Hell? What would be the main goal to this conspiracy, to confuse everyone?

I don't dare speculate on who's going to hell and who isn't. But the Name and using the Name seems very important in the bible, even if you already know it. By not using the name Jesus, at the very least you leave the door open for another name. Perhaps instead of the name of the Lamb, the name of the Beast

Revelation 14:1 Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb ...

Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion, and with
him 144,000 who had his name and his Father's name written on their foreheads ...

Revelation 13:17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they ...

so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which
is the name of the beast or the number of its name. ...

The Name Forbidden Acts 4:18
…But to keep this message from spreading any further among the people, we must warn them to speak no more to anyone in this name.” Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John replied, “Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God’s sight to listen to you rather than God.…

Spideymon77

A Smiling Empty Soul
I don't dare speculate on who's going to hell and who isn't. But the Name and using the Name seems very important in the bible, even if you already know it. By not using the name Jesus, at the very least you leave the door open for another name. Perhaps instead of the name of the Lamb, the name of the Beast

Revelation 14:1 Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb ...

Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion, and with
him 144,000 who had his name and his Father's name written on their foreheads ...

Revelation 13:17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they ...

so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which
is the name of the beast or the number of its name. ...

The Name Forbidden Acts 4:18
…But to keep this message from spreading any further among the people, we must warn them to speak no more to anyone in this name.” Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John replied, “Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God’s sight to listen to you rather than God.…

I see how that's possible. I don't see how we can jump far and say it's a "Satanic Conspiracy" but then again, I'm not that much into conspiracies.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I see how that's possible. I don't see how we can jump far and say it's a "Satanic Conspiracy" but then again, I'm not that much into conspiracies.
Using the term broadly "Satanic Conspiracy" , that you're either for Christ or against Christ. And if you're against Christ pretending to be a Christian within the Christian church, I'm calling it a conspiracy, working in secret, having a secret agenda. Such as the pope who presents himself as the head of the Christian church, who does his best NOT to use the name Jesus, whenever possible, without blowing his cover. Infiltrating other churches through their seminaries, teaching them also not to use the name Jesus. Things like that.

pearl

I have never heard of a person in a Christian church who didn't understand what the Father, Son and Holy Ghost refers to.

It is the Trinitarian formula that is used in the Catholic Church and, I think all denominations except for the Mormon Church. The other stipulation besides the Trinitarian formula, water must be used. If one were to convert to the Catholic Church after having been baptized their baptism is valid, one baptism for the forgiveness of sin.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
It is the Trinitarian formula that is used in the Catholic Church and, I think all denominations except for the Mormon Church. The other stipulation besides the Trinitarian formula, water must be used. If one were to convert to the Catholic Church after having been baptized their baptism is valid, one baptism for the forgiveness of sin.
Which shows how successful the conspiracy is...

pearl

Using the term broadly "Satanic Conspiracy" , that you're either for Christ or against Christ. And if you're against Christ pretending to be a Christian within the Christian church, I'm calling it a conspiracy, working in secret, having a secret agenda. Such as the pope who presents himself as the head of the Christian church, who does his best NOT to use the name Jesus, whenever possible, without blowing his cover. Infiltrating other churches through their seminaries, teaching them also not to use the name Jesus. Things like that.

Where do you get such sick and utter nonsense?

Scott C.

Just one guy

In the Mormon Church, these words are used at baptism:

[Baptizer calls the person by name, e.g., "Jamie Rogers"], having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, Amen".

All ordinances (sacraments) in my church are done in the name of Jesus Christ. Baptism is done in the name of all three members of the Godhead. The exact words of the baptismal ordinance are specified by scripture.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
In the Mormon Church, these words are used at baptism:

[Baptizer calls the person by name, e.g., "Jamie Rogers"], having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, Amen".

All ordinances (sacraments) in my church are done in the name of Jesus Christ. Baptism is done in the name of all three members of the Godhead. The exact words of the baptismal ordinance are specified by scripture.

It skirts by saying that Jesus is the Name being baptized into. You could view that as being commissioned by Jesus to be baptized into another name.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
When the modern day priests and preachers baptize they say "I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost" but don't name any names. That seems a little fishy compared to Apostles baptizing into the name Jesus. Which seems to be the main point of being baptized, knowing the name of the Lord. What gives? Satanic conspiracy?

Acts 10:49 "So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days."

Acts 8:16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

The Attitude of Christ
Phillippians 2:9-…Therefore God exalted Him to the highest place, and gave Him the name above all names, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.…

The name is referenced at exodus 3:14-15

it's also the name from psalms 28

or the name from isaiah 66:5

Kemosloby

Premium Member
The name is referenced at exodus 3:14-15

it's also the name from psalms 28

or the name from isaiah 66:5

I agree that those references are talking about Jesus, but none of the bibles use the name Jehovah. Jesus Christ is the name.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I agree that those references are talking about Jesus, but none of the bibles use the name Jehovah. Jesus Christ is the name.

no it isn't. jesus didn't exist at the time of moses. jesus came through mary's uterus like all earthlings

I AM that i am meaning omnipresent in all things.

christ is all and in all, colossians 3:11

jesus isn't omnipresent. jesus was begotten and died. God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

jesus isn't. heaven isn't, earth isn't.

God existed before heaven and earth were formed.

Scott C.

Just one guy
It skirts by saying that Jesus is the Name being baptized into. You could view that as being commissioned by Jesus to be baptized into another name.

I don;t understand what you mean. The person doing the baptism holds the priesthood, which means he was commissioned (authorized) to do the baptism by Christ. Christ directed that we do such authorized baptisms in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. I don't understand the issue.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I don;t understand what you mean. The person doing the baptism holds the priesthood, which means he was commissioned (authorized) to do the baptism by Christ. Christ directed that we do such authorized baptisms in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. I don't understand the issue.

In the bible, first of all, there is no Christian "priesthood", and most important is that upon being baptized you're being baptized into the name Jesus.

The Holy Spirit Received at Ephesus
…Paul explained: “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the One coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” On hearing this,they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.And when Paul laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied.…

Scott C.

Just one guy
In the bible, first of all, there is no Christian "priesthood", and most important is that upon being baptized you're being baptized into the name Jesus.

The Holy Spirit Received at Ephesus
…Paul explained: “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the One coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” On hearing this,they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.And when Paul laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied.…

Matthew 28:19

19 ¶Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Matthew 28:19

19 ¶Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
The one anomaly. So what is the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost?

Scott C.

Just one guy
The one anomaly. So what is the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost?

I'm not totally clear on where you're coming from, to be honest. The Son's name is Jesus. It seems that you are concerned that we say "in the name of the Son", but do not specify the name of Jesus. You also seem concerned that it is done not in the name of the Son only, but also in the name of the Father and the Holy Ghost. Am I right?

In my church we do everything in the name of Jesus. Prayers end "in the name of Jesus Christ". Sermons do too. Ordinances are done in the name of Jesus. I rarely, if ever, hear someone end a prayer "in the name of the Son, Amen." I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but I always hear something like "in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ", "in the name of the Savior, Jesus Christ" or "in the name of Jesus Christ". We don't have specific required words, but the idea is to reference the name of Jesus.

There are two exceptions (of which I'm aware) in my church. Marriages in our temples and baptisms are done not only in the name of the Son, Jesus Christ, but also in the name of the Father and the Holy Ghost. We do this because the baptismal prayer is spelled out verbatim in scripture.

As far as your comment that there is no Christian "priesthood" spoken of in the Bible, that's another subject. I do believe in the priesthood and could discuss it more.

james bond

The Father is God, the Son is Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit is... I don't know what that is and I don't care what it is.

electromagnetic+spectrum.jpg

The way I explain the Father, Son and Holy Spirit is the electromagnetic spectrum. The Son or Jesus is visible light. The Holy Spirit is radio, microwave and infrared light. The Father is the higher frequencies of ultraviolet, x-ray and gamma ray.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
The OP is rather bizarre since I do believe most people, obviously including Catholics, well know who is being referred to by the use of the word "Son".

Satan is also called Son in the bible,

King James Bible
How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

The bible stresses that everyone is being baptized into the name Jesus Christ. All but the one time where it says to baptize in the name of the Father, The Son and Holy Ghost.

It also seems to be a problem of whether people are baptized 'in' the name of Jesus or baptized 'into' the name Jesus. You could be baptized into some other name "in the name of Jesus". But baptized into the name Jesus closes that door.

Unity in the Church
1 cor 1:15…I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, so no one can say that you were baptized into my name.

American Standard Version
lest any man should say that ye were baptized into my name.

New International Version
so no one can say that you were baptized in my name.