• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Banned Books

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I found this list and thought I'd share. :) I like how it includes the reasons why it was banned.

How many books have you read off of it? I've read most of them. :eek:

The Lorax. Dr. Seuss. Random. Challenged in the Laytonville, Calif. Unified School District (1989) because it "criminalizes the foresting industry." Isn't that the de-foresting industry?

I found that one to be the most ridiculous...

A

angellous_evangellous

I fully support the banning of

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Lewis Carroll. Ace; Bantam; Crown; Delacorte; Dover; NAL; Norton; Penguin; Random; St. Martin. Banned in China (1931) for portraying animals and humans on the same level, "Animals should not use human language." (Purchase)

That book scared the hell out of me.

evearael

I really like this quote (from the Censorship Quotes section):
"The fact is that censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates, in the end, the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion..."
-- Henry Steel Commager

Ðanisty

Arabian Nights or The Thousand and One Nights. Anonymous. U.S. Customs held up 500 sets of the translation by the French scholar Mardrus, which were imported from England (1927-31). It was confiscated in Cairo, Egypt (1985), on the grounds that it contained obscene passages which posed a threat to the country's moral fabric. It was judged inappropriate for Jewish pupils by the Israeli director of the British Consul Library in Jerusalem, Israel (1985). Nice to see that the Arabs and Israelis can agree, after all.
I found this amusing...lol.

sahra-t

/me loves frubals
Oh dear, The Diary of Anne Frank was banned because it is a "real downer".

So, only happy endings from now on??

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
The very first one on the list made me laugh. 1984 pro-communist? That's like calling The Handmaid's Tale pro-Christian because the of the fundamentalist (emphasis on the mental part) society it's set in. I feel that whoever came up with that objection had a serious problem comprehending English. People who can't make the effort to understand a book have no right whatsoever to pass judgement on it (not that I think anyone should be censoring books ever, even if they do actually understand them).

James