• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baha'i Writings:

arthra

Baha'i
I noticed one thread in this category on a Baha'i book but thought it would be good to give an overview of Baha'i sacred literature so it could be better known or discussed...

When we use the "Baha'i Writings" Baha'is mean the sacred literature of our Faith and that includes the revealed Writings of Baha'u'llah.... These Writings were originally in Farsi (Persian of the nineteenth century) and Arabic. Not all of these Writings have been translated into English...actually most have not been translated yet, but the main ones have been, these include the following books:

The Kitab-i-Iqan or Book of Certitude which was revealed by Baha'u'llah in two or three days time in response to some questions of a Moslem uncle of the Bab (Siyyid Muhammad Ali) Who was the precursor of Baha'u'llah. Anyway this text has quotes of previous scriptures such as the Bible and the Qur'an and also some Hadith or attributed sayings...

The Kitab-i-Aqdas (Most Great Book) (1871-3) or book of laws and ordinances for future Baha'i communities which also abrogate many laws of Islam. Baha'u'llah reveled many ordinances that will be in place in future times but are not as yet implemented...

Hidden Words in Arabic and Persian: These were revealed by Baha'u'llah while in Bagdad and are translations from Arabic and Persian and are called "hidden" because they are supposed to be the spiritual essence of previous dispensations. They are devotional and mystical in nature. According to traditions, this book was revealed for Fatima to sooth her sadness after losing her Father, Prophet Muhammad.

The above are probably the best known Baha'i Sacred Writings available in English.

The Kitab-i-Aqdas was only relatively recently translated in full into English in an authorized translation in 1992 through the Universal House of Justice.

The Book of Certitude was first translated by Ali Kuli Khan into English early in the twentieth century and superceded in 1931 by the translation of Shoghi Effendi.

The Hidden Words was translated by Shoghi Effendi in 1932.

Some excerpts from these books were also found in an earlier Baha'i magazine "Star of the West"...

More later... :jiggy:

BruceDLimber

And to expand on this description somewhat, the Writings of the Bab (Baha'u'llah's forerunner and a Divine Messenger in His own right) and 'Abdu'l-Baha (Baha'u'llah's oldest son and appointed successor/interpreter) are also part of the Baha'i scriptures. Baha'u'llah wrote about 100 volumes Himself, and the Baha'i scriptures in toto comprise around 200 volumes!

Other volumes (but by no means a complete list) include:

By Baha'u'llah, "Gleanings" (a compilation of various of His works), "The Seven Valleys," "The Four Valleys," "The Hidden Words," "Gems of Divine Mysteries," "The Book of the Covenant," "Epistle to the Son of the Wolf," and more.

'Abdu'l-Baha wrote nearly 100 volumes himself; some of the best-known titles are "Some Answered Questions," "The Tablets of the Divine Plan," and "Memorials of the Faithful."

These books (and others) can be seen at the following web sites:

- www.bahai-library.org (click "Baha'i Writings" for our scriptures),
- www.reference.bahai.org (this site is multilingual), and
- www.bahaistudy.org (this site also has videos and talking books).

Good hunting! :)

Bruce