• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baha'i Holy Days: Day of the Covenant Nov. 26th and The Ascension of Abdul-Baha Nov. 28th

arthra

Baha'i
…Historically, the Day of the Covenant was established by ‘Abdu’l-Baha in order to discontinue the practice of early believers who, on their own initiative, used to celebrate his birthday. …‘Abdu’l-Baha was born on May 22, 1844, which, in fact, was the very same night that the Bab declared his prophetic mission. So, in order not to divert focus from the anniversary of the Declaration of the Bab, which was a sacred event, ‘Abdu’l-Baha chose November 26 for commemorating the inauguration of Baha’u’llah’s Covenant. According to Baha’i historian Hasan M. Balyuzi:

‘Abdu’l-Baha told the Baha’is that this day [May 22] was not, under any circumstances, to be celebrated as His day of birth. It was the day of the Declaration of the Bab, exclusively associated with Him. But as the Baha’is begged for a day to be celebrated as His, He gave them November 26th, to be observed as the day of the appointment of the Centre of the Covenant. It was known as The Greatest Festival, because He was the Greatest Branch. In the West it is known as the Day of the Covenant. (Balyuzi, ‘Abdu’l-Baha: The Centre of the Covenant of Baha’u’llah)

… On the Day of the Covenant, Baha’is honor ‘Abdu’l-Baha as the “Perfect Exemplar” of Baha’u’llah’s teachings and as the “Centre of the Covenant” of Baha’u’llah, paying tribute to that sacred Covenant, which historically safeguarded and will continue to preserve the unity of the Baha’ı faith-community for centuries to come.

To learn more about the unique figure of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá you can view the newly released commemorative video – created by Bahá’í World Centre, the first video can be found at Exemplar.

He is, and should for all time be regarded, first and foremost, as the Center and Pivot of Bahá'u'lláh's peerless and all-enfolding Covenant, His most exalted handiwork, the stainless Mirror of His light, the perfect Exemplar of His teachings, the unerring Interpreter of His Word, the embodiment of every Bahá'í ideal, the incarnation of every Bahá'í virtue, the Most Mighty Branch sprung from the Ancient Root, the Limb of the Law of God, the Being "round Whom all names revolve," the Mainspring of the Oneness of Humanity, the Ensign of the Most Great Peace, the Moon of the Central Orb of this most holy Dispensation -- styles and titles that are implicit and find their truest, their highest and fairest expression in the magic name 'Abdu'l-Bahá. He is, above and beyond these appellations, the "Mystery of God" -- an expression by which Bahá'u'lláh Himself has chosen to designate Him, and which, while it does not by any means justify us to assign to Him the station of Prophethood, indicates how in the person of 'Abdu'l-Bahá the incompatible characteristics of a human nature and superhuman knowledge and perfection have been blended and are completely harmonized.

- Shoghi Effendi, The World Order of Baha'u'llah, p. 133
The Will of the divine Testator is this:

It is incumbent upon the Aghsan, the Afnan and My Kindred to turn, one and all, their faces towards the Most Mighty Branch. Consider that which We have revealed in Our Most Holy Book: 'When the ocean of My presence hath ebbed and the Book of My Revelation is ended, turn your faces toward Him Whom God hath purposed, Who hath branched from this Ancient Root.' The object of this sacred verse is none other except the Most Mighty Branch [Abdu'l-Bahá]. Thus have We graciously revealed unto you Our potent Will, and I am verily the Gracious, the All-Powerful.

- Baha'u'llah, Tablets of Baha'u'llah, p. 221

There hath branched from the Sadratu'l-Muntaha this sacred and glorious Being, this Branch of Holiness; well is it with him that hath sought His shelter and abideth beneath His shadow. Verily the Limb of the Law of God hath sprung forth from this Root which God hath firmly implanted in the Ground of His Will, and Whose Branch hath been so uplifted as to encompass the whole of creation. Magnified be He, therefore, for this sublime, this blessed, this mighty, this exalted Handiwork!... A Word hath, as a token of Our grace, gone forth from the Most Great Tablet -- a Word which God hath adorned with the ornament of His own Self, and made it sovereign over the earth and all that is therein, and a sign of His greatness and power among its people ...Render thanks unto God, O people, for His appearance; for verily He is the most great Favor unto you, the most perfect bounty upon you; and through Him every mouldering bone is quickened. Whoso turneth towards Him hath turned towards God, and whoso turneth away from Him hath turned away from My beauty, hath repudiated My Proof, and transgressed against Me. He is the Trust of God amongst you, His charge within you, His manifestation unto you and His appearance among His favored servants... We have sent Him down in the form of a human temple. Blest and sanctified be God Who createth whatsoever He willeth through His inviolable, His infallible decree. They who deprive themselves of the shadow of the Branch, are lost in the wilderness of error, are consumed by the heat of worldly desires, and are of those who will assuredly perish.

- Baha’u’llah, Tablet of the Branch

O people of the world! When the Mystic Dove will have winged its flight from its Sanctuary of Praise and sought its far-off goal, its hidden habitation, refer ye whatsoever ye understand not in the Book to Him Who hath branched from this mighty Stock.
- Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 82
Read more:

Last edited: