• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad parants, don't t take your bratty loud obnoxious children to this Georgia Restaurant.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It's kind of novel when in an age of poor parenting, a posted surcharge becomes necessary for adults whom can enjoy a reasonably quiet meal without enduring parents who simply cannot or will not reign in their children in public venues.

I think that's why there are places like Chucky Cheese as an alternative for those with loud obnoxious kids. Go there instead.

Good thing, bad thing?

For me , I see both sides of the issue , so it all depends on the environment and mood for the day.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
For me , I see both sides of the issue , so it all depends on the environment and mood for the day.
My parents just left me at home when I was a little kid and they went to nicer restaurant. Kids should be able to be kids, but also people should be able to enjoy a quiet, peaceful meal at certain places. Not necessarily Chuck E Cheese, but a place like Chilis has enough noise already going you won't hear much crying or tantrums unless you're next to the child. So there are some options.

MikeF

Premium Member

It's kind of novel when in an age of poor parenting, a posted surcharge becomes necessary for adults whom can enjoy a reasonably quiet meal without enduring parents who simply cannot or will not reign in their children in public venues.

I think that's why there are places like Chucky Cheese as an alternative for those with loud obnoxious kids. Go there instead.

Good thing, bad thing?

I would be curious why such a surcharge would be limited to obnoxious children. I've experienced obnoxious adults a time or two.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I admit, I've become somewhat desensitized.

My kids create a ruckus. Everywhere. (There are disabilities at play.) I have little to no support(babysitters, etc). So, they have to go with me.

Nobody care that I'm in a difficult position. Its hardened me a bit to not caring that other people are inconvenienced. Nobody cares that I don't want to deal with dummies running into stuff while they're staring at their phones, or that I dislike seeing people shop in their underwear. So I don't care that my kids are disruptive.

While I don't go to any restaurants that have 'atmosphere'(hell, I don't really go to any at all), I would never use one with a policy like that(even without kids). Get over yourselves, I would think. If your worst problem is loud kids in a restaurant, you need more problems. To the parents that aren't watching your kids, stop what you're doing and acknowledge them. These years are precious, and you're missing time and opportunity to spend with them. Now is the time to teach them to act appropriately in a variety of situations.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would be curious why such a surcharge would be limited to obnoxious children. I've experienced obnoxious adults a time or two.
Some people don't like kids.
The great thing about Chinese restaurants is
that they expect kids. I even see the owners'
kids doing their homework there.

MikeF

Premium Member
Some people don't like kids.
The great thing about Chinese restaurants is
that they expect kids. I even see the owners'
kids doing their homework there.

We lived in a town with a family owned a Greek restaurant. We would come in with our kids, age 2 and 3 at the time, and they would take them from us and entertain them while we ate. As young parents it was unnerving the first time, but everyone loved it, ourselves, the kids, and the staff included.

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Good thing, bad thing?

There are many reasons a child might cry or otherwise make noise in public that have nothing to do with "bad parenting," and not all of them can be controlled by the parents either. If the restaurant is so picky about maintaining a quiet atmosphere, it could either not allow children at all or have a "no children below [insert age here] allowed" policy like some opera houses do instead of accusing parents of "bad parenting" or being insulting without having any context or information about the children and their parents.

This reminds me of when a baby or small child starts crying in public and some people give the parents disapproving and hostile stares, putting them on the spot and making them feel self-conscious. Every parent I have talked to has never enjoyed having their child cry in public any more than other people have, and some people need to understand this. Maybe the kid is in pain, hungry, suffering from some medical condition, or has a mental health issue. If some people can't understand this or understand that they themselves were kids one day, that doesn't seem to me to be anyone else's problem.

I have no kids, but I wouldn't eat at that restaurant. That policy, at least with the way it's worded, is too judgmental for my liking. I'll take eating near some noisy kids where I and the kids' parents can each mind our own business.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

Good thing, bad thing?

Personally, I want more information.
Ideally, security camera footage.

I do not trust one sided news reports.