• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad convictions

Maxist

What that judge who let the repeated child molester go free with only probation? The judge said that since he had a mental illness, he could not be held responsible for the child molestations. So, he is post modern, or relativist, or left-winged. Now, my question to all of you is, do any of you hate relativism? I always have, and this is proof of it.

d.

_______
Maxist said:
So, he is post modern,

how? i see no connection.

Maxist said:
or relativist,

i am guessing you mean moral relativism, no?

Maxist said:
or left-winged.

as a marxist, you're left-wing. :confused:

Maxist said:
Now, my question to all of you is, do any of you hate relativism? I always have, and this is proof of it.

this is proof you've always hated relativism? ;)

no, i don't hate relativists, no. i would call myself relativist, at least according to wikipedias definition :

Relativism expresses the view that the meaning and value of human beliefs and behaviors have no absolute reference. Relativists claim that humans understand and evaluate beliefs and behaviors only in terms of, for example, their historical and cultural context.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativism

which doesn't mean i want child molesters running free in the streets, so to speak.

Ardent Listener

Maxist said:
What that judge who let the repeated child molester go free with only probation? The judge said that since he had a mental illness, he could not be held responsible for the child molestations. So, he is post modern, or relativist, or left-winged. Now, my question to all of you is, do any of you hate relativism? I always have, and this is proof of it.

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing here but please allow me to tell you about my brother who has a mental illness. Recently he stold most of my family's credit idenities and charged many thousand dollars to accounts that he set up. It still remains a big mess and will be for a long time. It has been very stressful. My first reaction was shock which was quickly followed by anger against him. Now that I can control my emotions better, I realize that his illness was a major factor in what he did. Though he knew what he was doing was wrong, the compulsion to do so over-powerd his sense of reason. He made no efforts to hide the "loot". Most items that he ordered were repeats of what he had already ordered. A lot of the items he ordered were never opened from their shipping packages. He did not sell any items.

He is the same guy who has cared for my mother the past 5 years and never asked for a dollar for doing so. She would have been in a nursing home many years ago if it were not for him. The pressure just got to be to much for him.

So if you are asking if all situations are black or white, I would have to say no. What my brother did was more of a shade of gray. As a Christian I found comfort in both the Bible and the Bhagava Gita during this situation.

evearael

Moral relativism or not, mental illness or not, child molesters should be punished or locked up eternally behind padded walls. I don't care which. To fail to do so is to willfully endanger more innocent children because of the high level of recidivism.

Ardent Listener

evearael said:
Moral relativism or not, mental illness or not, child molesters should be punished or locked up eternally behind padded walls. I don't care which. To fail to do so is to willfully endanger more innocent children because of the high level of recidivism.

I agree that child molestation is much more serious than what my brother did. Society needs to protect itself from the likes of them. My point though is that not all situations behind the same crime are the same.

Maxist

divine
Quote: Originally Posted by MaxistSo, he is post modern,
how? i see no connection.
that is the words of my Social teacher.
Quote: Originally Posted by Maxist or relativist,
i am guessing you mean moral relativism, no?
No, I am speaking of the Doctorine that if you beleive that somthing is right, then it is. Obviously the judge beleives that since the man thought that it was not wrong, he cannot go to prison for it.
Quote: Originally Posted by Maxist or left-winged.
as a marxist, you're left-wing. :confused:
NEVER! I despise it. Left-wing, no.
Quote:Originally Posted by MaxistNow, my question to all of you is, do any of you hate relativism? I always have, and this is proof of it.
this is proof you've always hated relativism? ;)
hahaha, in the context that this man ---judge--- was relativist.

no, i don't hate relativists, no. i would call myself relativist, at least according to wikipedias definition :

Relativism expresses the view that the meaning and value of human beliefs and behaviors have no absolute reference. Relativists claim that humans understand and evaluate beliefs and behaviors only in terms of, for example, their historical and cultural context.
Not how it was described to me ---as it was above---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativism

which doesn't mean i want child molesters running free in the streets, so to speak.
I would never think it.
sorry, I do not know how to "quote," so to speak.
:p