• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Back with a vengeance

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
So this is a sorry remake of my old remakes thread. But this time I want to know why you think gamers are seemingly more forgiving than movie goers.
In cinema, remakes are as old as.....well cinema itself. Yet remakes are often met with disapproving snorting sounds and complaints of being unoriginal.
Yet with the smash hit that has been the runaway success of the N Sane trilogy, the mascots of the 90s heyday are resurfacing everywhere, like a hoard of zombies from a Resident Evil game.
Spyro, Crash, Medieval, even talks of a new Earthworm Jim game.
With players preordering nostalgia filled remasters and remakes of their beloved franchises.

If the goal is to introduce these pieces of entertainment to a new generation, why are the movie goers seemingly so uppity. Whilst the normally neurotic nerdy subset of core gamers are eagerly writing down wish lists of franchises they want remakes/remasters of?
Are gamers just more used to remakes or is this a disconnect between gamers and the artsy crowd.

So this is a sorry remake of my old remakes thread. But this time I want to know why you think gamers are seemingly more forgiving than movie goers.
In cinema, remakes are as old as.....well cinema itself. Yet remakes are often met with disapproving snorting sounds and complaints of being unoriginal.
Yet with the smash hit that has been the runaway success of the N Sane trilogy, the mascots of the 90s heyday are resurfacing everywhere, like a hoard of zombies from a Resident Evil game.
Spyro, Crash, Medieval, even talks of a new Earthworm Jim game.
With players preordering nostalgia filled remasters and remakes of their beloved franchises.

If the goal is to introduce these pieces of entertainment to a new generation, why are the movie goers seemingly so uppity. Whilst the normally neurotic nerdy subset of core gamers are eagerly writing down wish lists of franchises they want remakes/remasters of?
Are gamers just more used to remakes or is this a disconnect between gamers and the artsy crowd.

Game remakes use better technology, improved gameplay, greater depth, etc. They give something old and tired a completely new lease of life. Games can get dull once you have played them enough no matter how much you once enjoyed them, a remake fixes this.

With a movie, a remake rarely adds anything new instead it substitutes one 'comparable' thing for another, and people tend not to like it because it is hard to make something better. When you simply replace something loved with a replica, few people prefer the replica.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Game remakes use better technology, improved gameplay, greater depth, etc. They give something old and tired a completely new lease of life. Games can get dull once you have played them enough no matter how much you once enjoyed them, a remake fixes this.

With a movie, a remake rarely adds anything new instead it substitutes one 'comparable' thing for another, and people tend not to like it because it is hard to make something better. When you simply replace something loved with a replica, few people prefer the replica.
Hmm this is true.
Though perhaps it also helps that movie goers are sometimes too young to even know of the original film.
As a kid I legit had no idea that the Brendan Frasier Mummy was a remake of the Boris Karloff version. Though to be fair, in Australia we don’t really show the classic Universal movies all too often, not even on Halloween.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Movies leave the theater never to return. I could wait 5 years to buy a video game, but movies have this strange measuring stick of failure. If they don't oust all other movies in the theater they are considered failures.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Games are a real-time experience that is about repetitiveness and reward. Movies are about drama and scripting and such. One can argue that games are all about stylish repetitiveness anyway.