• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Awakening to Darkness

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings fellow earthlings!

I hope you are enjoying your experiences here on the forum today.

Here's an article I re-discovered recently by looking at some old online journals.

Make up your own mind -

Spiritual teachers speak of awakening to the light, but how many speak of awakening to the darkness, to the grim, bleak, utter vile parts of us that shudder at the thought of being seen? It seems so simple to point skyward and say “Transcend!” It seems so clean to rise above it all, to just meditate, do your chants and say your prayers; to drink your green smoothies, say your affirmations, wear your crystals, and live the life of your dreams. It seems so wonderful to be spiritually correct, nice and nice, with a sanguine look on life.

But in my experience something far more raw and real is needed from us. Something much more gritty, messy, honest and courageous is required if we are to find the light.

I have found few, certainly mainstream teachers, who speak of this and do so without sugar coating. Many shamans point the way, as do certain spiritual teachers who have lived through the muck of human existence. But it seems a great deal of teachers give the impression that you can reach the light without going down into your anger, shame, the ugly, painful parts you have long run from and denied. To feel them in full, to scream, purge and shake them from your nervous system. So many teachers speak in such a glossy, new age, live-your-dreams sort of way as to infer that the dark underbelly of consciousness can be bypassed quickly and easily.

To read the full website -

Awakening to Darkness ~ Feeling Below the Threshold of Pseudo Spirituality and Light Chasing

Wishing you all the very best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Here's another great site about awakening for those of you who are still curious -

Sometimes we catch fleeting glimpses of them, sometimes we witness them in full frontal chaos, but for the most part, we ignore and bury their existence either out of fear, guilt or pure shame. However, discovering and owning our demons is a vital part of our spiritual journey.

Shadow Work: The Ultimate Guide + Free Psychological Test

All the best!!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Jung's views & advice about the shadow - from this site -

You know, lately, I realized that after years of immersing myself in the core tenets of self-development and after identifying that major philosophical and psychological concepts have become central to my being, I have been coming closer to my ultimate personal goal that is self-transcendence.

Self-transcendence can mean a lot of things to all of us, but, for me, the term has crystallized after I became enamored with how the duality between intellect and intuition can be manifested.

Carl Jung and the Shadow – The Mechanics of Your Dark Side

Enjoy your browsing!