• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Autumnal Equinox; How did you celebrate?

EyeofOdin

On the Sunday before the Equinox, my kindred (Heathen) met up and heald a blot and had dinner.

There was a lot of pressure on me actually, because only one of us has ever lead ritual (name's Jo) and I asked to lead this one. Not only am I the newest member (joined about six months ago), apparently I was the first person throughout the year or so of the Kindred's existence to ask if I could lead the rite AND this was the first ritual of any kind that I would lead for a group of people. I've done rituals before, but never have a stood in as priest (we don't have a gothi or gythja because a) we're so small, only five oathed members with some pagans who come and go, and b) we want to encourage all of the oathed members to pitch in what they can equally, usually the knowledge to lead a discussion about one of our weekly topics).

Also, nobody came forward to bring in the main meat dish. I had brought it a couple of times, but I said something like "If nobody else comes forward then I can bring something. There's a meatloaf recipe I've been wanting to try anyway" and then they said "Okay, you're bringing mealoaf, got it!" LOL I didn't know that I was signing a contract by saying that! haha I was happy to do it though. The only problem with that was the fact that I didn't know how much one would feed, and there could be as few as four or as many as 15, with the oathed members, six kids and three guests who come regularly but aren't oathed members. I made enough for 15 and about half to have seconds just in case. Then I get there and there are only the oathed members and one of their kids, so I had a LOT of leftover meatloaf haha!

Before the ritual Jo had set up the altar, with the offering bowl and drinking horn, and she said "I feel like something's missing" and I said, really ******* like too just for kicks "Uh, hammer?" she replied with "don't talk to me." It was really funny!

The blot itself was dedicated to the Vanir, as they're associated with the harvest. Being that Autumn has connotations of gratitude and thankfulness via Thanksgiving and other related holidays, that was the main theme of the blot, thanks for the harvest.

After the invocation of the Vanir I talked about how the ancestors celebrated the harvest, and how important it was "for without it, they would die". I talked about how they would give offerings to their gods and their ancestors to express their gratitude.

I said that we can give thanks for a harvest even if we aren't farmers. "Just as we reap the crops from the fields so too we reap friends from our travels and encounters; so too we reap health from our luck and lifestyle; so too we reap our families from our ancestors; so too we reap wealth from the work ethic instilled in us by our mothers, fathers and mentors; so too we reap our own lives from the gods and ancestors".

I had everyone take an apple and infuse it with gratitude through visualization while I read "Think about the food you had today, for there are those who go hungry. Think about your friends, for there are those who are lonely. Think about your health, for there are those lucid about their near mortality. Think about your families, for there are those abandoned by their clan, or they are the last of their name. Think about your wealth, for there are those who will never eat from your silver spoon. Think about your own life, for there are those who have left Midgard." After they had finished, we put the apples on the altar as an offering, so we were directly giving an offering infused with thanks and gratitude.

After the apples we gave the usual cider libation from the horn, made toasts to the Vans, the harvest and the season. We then closed and ate the food we brought. After our meal we had sumble and everyone went home. I stayed behind to talk to Jo about growth and recruitment, because we both are the recruiters for our group.

An overall great time!

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I celebrated the Equinox on the day of (22 Sep). Nothing as fancy as a blot, though. I just did a basic ritual, and giving of thanks.

I started by reorienting my altar in regards to the elements and directions (ESWN), since I don't keep it in that orientation due to where I have it sitting on a regular basis.

I then opened the Grove and invoked the Gates. After which I took my seat and meditated on the themes for the season, mainly giving thanks and looking back on the things learned throughout the year, and how those lessons can be applied for the new year and carried with me.

I then invited the spirits of the Earth into the grove, and gave an offering of an Apple, to represent the second harvest, and a small libation of Cider.

With that I closed up and and cleansed the area, and then proceeded to cook a large dinner of Kielbasa and Cabbage to celebrate.

Sorry if someone is bored by my ritual description, I didn't originally intend to type it out, but I am going to leave it now hahaha. Meh.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
How do we in India celebrate Vernal Equinox?

The Indo-Aryans began their sacrificial year (Satra) with Vernal Equinox 6000 years ago when the sun rose in the asterism of Orion (Mrigashiras - Antelopes Head), although we have indications that at one time the sun rose in the asterism of Castor and Pollux (Punarvasu, the asterism whose deity was Aditi, the God-Mother; they said Aditi is the mouth of the Year). That would take the story back to some 8000 years ago.

But earth revolves erratically, the Equinox preceding by one month approximately in 2000 years. What is now in March was one time in June and July. So our New Year also changed from Orion to Pleiadas (Krittikas - Six Sisters) and then to beta and gamma Arietis (Ashwini - Ram). The calendar is due for another change since the sun now rises on the day of spring equinox in the asterism of Piscium (Revati - Fish). It takes a while for the orthodox to accept the change. That is why a difference of about one month. India being the only country where the Aryan traditions are still alive.

After reaching India (by which time the equinox had preceded for some three months and the locale had completely changed), the Indo-Aryans tagged the New Year to Zodiac. According to the sidereal solar calendar, celebrations which originally coincided with the Vernal Equinox now take place throughout South Asia and parts of Southeast Asia on the day when the sun enters the sidereal Aries, generally around 14 April.

It marks the beginning of the new year of the Tamil calendar and is celebrated in the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu.

This day is celebrated as the last day of the year according to the Bengali calendar and Assamese calendar in West Bengal, Assam, Tripura, Bangladesh and throughout the Eastern and North Eastern India. The day is known as Chaitra Sankranti in Bengali. The following day is celebrated as the Bengali New Year's Day and Assamese Bihu.

Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Maharastra people celebrate new year ugadi set by Satavahana on the first morning after first new moon from the sidereal vernal equinox.

Also the calculations of the great Indian Mathematician Bhaskaracharya proclaim the Ugadi day as the beginning of the New Year, New month and New day.

In the Indian state of Odisha, this day is celebrated as the new year around April 14. It is known as 'Vishuva Sankranti' (meaning "equal" in Sanskrit). In Kerala though the new year is on Chingam 1, the beginning of sidereal zodiac Leo, sidereal vernal equinox is celebrated much more than new year as 'Vishu'.

The traditional New Year celebrations in Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Thailand take place on 13 to 15 (or 16) April.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Satra (the sacrificial year) for Hindu Aryans:

Parts Days
1. The introductory Atirâtra _ 1
2. The Chaturvimsha day, otherwise called the Ârambhaniya (Aîtareya Brahman IV, 12), or the Prâyanîya (Tândya Brahman IV. 2), the real beginning of the Sattra _ 1
3. Four Abhiplava, followed by one Prishthya shalaha each month; continued in this way for five months _ 150
4. Three Abhiplava and one Prishthya shalaha _ 24
5. The Abhijit day _ 1
6. The Three Svara-Sâman days _ 3
7. Vishnuvân or the Central day which stands by itself i.e., not counted in the total of the Sattra days (This is Autumnal Equinox)
8. The three Svara-Sâman days _ 3
9. The Vishvajit day _ 1
10. One Prishthya and three Abhiplava shalahas _ 24
11. One Prishthya and four Abhiplava shalahas each month continued in this way for four months _ 120
12. Three Abhiplava shalahas, one Go-shtoma, one Âyu-shtoma, and one Dasharâtra (the ten days of Dvâdashâha), making up one month _ 30
13. The Mahâvrata day, corresponding to the Chaturvimsha day at the beginning _ 1
14. The concluding Atirâtra _ 1
Total days: 360

Of course, how do you celebrate - by sacrificing a bull and drinking Soma. :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Arctic_Home_in_the_Vedas
https://archive.org/details/TheArcticHomeInTheVedas

Last edited: