• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Autism speaks is a hate group

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Forget society. It doesn't seem its doing all that well for itself these days, despite presenting itself as knowing all the answers...
Yeah, it's really not good for anyone. We've had tribal and village and community support for hundreds and thousands of years. But today we live in a box with mom, dad, the kids and largely without knowing our neighbors, surrounded by people but expected to largely do it alone.
That's not who we are as social animals.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, it's really not good for anyone. We've had tribal and village and community support for hundreds and thousands of years. But today we live in a box with mom, dad, the kids and largely without knowing our neighbors, surrounded by people but expected to largely do it alone.
That's not who we are as social animals.

Nope. And when we fail to do it alone successfully, we're nasty to each other about it...

amorphous_constellation

Forget society. It doesn't seem its doing all that well for itself these days, despite presenting itself as knowing all the answers...

Ah yes. One might forget contemporary examples, to put things in context: one might be, that the nuerotypical majority apparently thinks it's alright to do battle around the largest nuclear power plant in europe. You'd think that if they were to the best social pilots, such a thing wouldn't occur

Last edited:

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
It would probably be better to promote inclusion of all people than to make "autism" the enemy and with that to make autistics feel less included.
Could you explain how you feel about what this group does and what you see as it's attitudes?
I feel all this group does is promote fear. It's attitude is autism is a terrible terrible thing a curse. I don't like them. The indeed do make autism into an enemy. You'd do better supporting an advocacy group actually ran by autistics seeing this one has none on its board. Nothing about us with out us as the autistic community tends to say.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Nope. And when we fail to do it alone successfully, we're nasty to each other about it...
Yup. And I do truly believe that modern society plays a profound role in making various conditions into something that is disabling because modern society is very unnatural for us, very counter to our nature, and far as our well being as a whole person goes we aren't as well off as we used to be. We don't have our support, we don't have the others we've relied on for so very long, and we're seeing very unfortunate things from it ranging from parents missing out on their children growing up to children most in need of support and a mentor going without and children not getting as much exposure to various views and people because we try to believe it doesn't take a village to raise a child because it's just too much for two people.
I haven't looked into it, but I would wager post-partum depression wasn't as much of an issue in times past when there more grandparents, cousins, aunt, uncles and trusted neighbors around to help out. Not everywhere or as a whole, no, but how can it possibly be as difficult when you are surrounded by familiar and supportive faces compared to a highly stressed spouse, parents on the other side of the country, maybe a couple good friends and a therapist?
The issue is still present, but I don't see why it shouldn't be that having more support and more help close by is much better for such things than what we have today.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Ah yes. One might forget contemporary examples, to put things in context: one might be, that the nuerotypical majority apparently thinks it's alright to do battle around the largest nuclear power plant in europe. You'd think that if they were to be the best social pilots, then such a thing wouldn't occur
Most people in general prefer to be left alone in peace. People in power, especially when the work to take power, are often some of the worst people ever. The average person, however, doesn't really care who sits on the throne or what the priest babbles on about as long as they are left alone in peace and their family is healthy and safe. Neurotypical or not, that's most people.
I feel all this group does is promote fear. It's attitude is autism is a terrible terrible thing a curse. I don't like them. The indeed do make autism into an enemy. You'd do better supporting an advocacy group actually ran by autistics seeing this one has none on its board. Nothing about us with out us as the autistic community tends to say.
I'm glad I've forgotten the words that **** "mom" uttered about her child in one of their videos. And I'm glad I've forgotten, because just remembering it was something really bad is enough to get my blood boiling.

VoidCat

I'm glad I've forgotten the words that **** "mom" uttered about her child in one of their videos. And I'm glad I've forgotten, because just remembering it was something really bad is enough to get my blood boiling.
The one that wanted to drive off a bridge with her nonverbal child in the backseat cuz she didn't want an autistic child? Cuz to her autism "stole" her child when it didn't the child was always autistic it's who they are? And autism speaks didn't condemn said mom? Instead said that was normal?

Oh and she said that in front of said child who probably understood every word cuz being a nonverbal autistic doesnt typically affect your ability to understand things and the child is not deaf?

@Brian2
This is their attitude autism speak's attitude. Feeding into the rhetoric we suffering and such and shouldn't exist. Their views ain't changed but now they have to hide it a bit more cuz less people tolerate it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The one that wanted to drive off a bridge with her nonverbal child in the backseat cuz she didn't want an autistic child? Cuz to her autism "stole" her child when it didn't the child was always autistic it's who they are? And autism speaks didn't condemn said mom? Instead said that was normal?

Oh and she said that in front of said child who probably understood every word cuz being a nonverbal autistic doesnt typically affect your ability to understand things and the child is not deaf?

@Brian2
This is their attitude autism speak's attitude. Feeding into the rhetoric we suffering and such and shouldn't exist. Their views ain't changed but now they have to hide it a bit more cuz less people tolerate it.
And now I'd want to throw her off a bridge again, except I've never wanted to do that because soon as I think that I think it's too good for her. That she said it in front of her child, it provokes nasty images from a very deep and dark place that knows the pain of such things and wants to tear her apart over it.
And that they included it in the video, I wish the fury of a thousand gods upon Autism Speaks.

Brian2

Veteran Member

That's a common problem that is found in politics where representatives of a community are not in the decision making but others are making the decisions for them.

pearl

I know nothing about 'Autism Speaks' but I do know how important accommodation is through my neighbor whose 2nd child is autistic. His parents first noticed his lack of the typical communication skills per his age, just under one year. He was diagnosed at Children's Hospital in Boston. Through the state offered program the boy had home visits 3 times a week from therapists. When he was 5 he was enrolled in special ed school and home visits continued every day after school. He is now 15 and his communication skills are well developed. He has a unique interest in examining everything.

VoidCat

I know nothing about 'Autism Speaks' but I do know how important accommodation is through my neighbor whose 2nd child is autistic. His parents first noticed his lack of the typical communication skills per his age, just under one year. He was diagnosed at Children's Hospital in Boston. Through the state offered program the boy had home visits 3 times a week from therapists. When he was 5 he was enrolled in special ed school and home visits continued every day after school. He is now 15 and his communication skills are well developed. He has a unique interest in examining everything.
Yep. Accomadations and acceptance is very important to the autistic community

VoidCat

That's a common problem that is found in politics where representatives of a community are not in the decision making but others are making the decisions for them.
It's very common regarding disabled. Thats why the autistic community uses the phrase nothing about us without us. When you disabled like me abledbodied folk (parents especially) all talk over you. They shouldn't but it happens all the time. I've had many times where cuz im disabled my word seems to be worth less then my abledbodied peers. Even if it involves me. I have to work twice as hard to get half as far with less energy then the able bodied folk

Brian2

Veteran Member
It's very common regarding disabled. Thats why the autistic community uses the phrase nothing about us without us. When you disabled like me abledbodied folk (parents especially) all talk over you. They shouldn't but it happens all the time. I've had many times where cuz im disabled my word seems to be worth less then my abledbodied peers. Even if it involves me. I have to work twice as hard to get half as far with less energy then the able bodied folk

The same with indigenous races in some countries.
Racism and other biases exist at times even in people who do not realise. It takes humility to admit these things to ourselves and that is lacking much of the time precisely because of the biases.

VoidCat

The same with indigenous races in some countries.
Racism and other biases exist at times even in people who do not realise. It takes humility to admit these things to ourselves and that is lacking much of the time precisely because of the biases.
It gets annoying. I even have had moments when im nonverbal(I am a semiverbal seminonverbal autistic) where someone asks the person next to me how im doing. Bro I got my AAC app I'm speaking clearly with it. Just ask me. I'll type up my response and we will talk. This occurs even after I use said app in front of the person and the person already knows im not deaf(some folk when you use AAC assume you are deaf for some reason.).

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Yup. And I do truly believe that modern society plays a profound role in making various conditions into something that is disabling because modern society is very unnatural for us, very counter to our nature, and far as our well being as a whole person goes we aren't as well off as we used to be. We don't have our support, we don't have the others we've relied on for so very long, and we're seeing very unfortunate things from it ranging from parents missing out on their children growing up to children most in need of support and a mentor going without and children not getting as much exposure to various views and people because we try to believe it doesn't take a village to raise a child because it's just too much for two people.
I haven't looked into it, but I would wager post-partum depression wasn't as much of an issue in times past when there more grandparents, cousins, aunt, uncles and trusted neighbors around to help out. Not everywhere or as a whole, no, but how can it possibly be as difficult when you are surrounded by familiar and supportive faces compared to a highly stressed spouse, parents on the other side of the country, maybe a couple good friends and a therapist?
The issue is still present, but I don't see why it shouldn't be that having more support and more help close by is much better for such things than what we have today.

My uncle most certainly has autism. My dad most likely does, too. They're in their 70s/60s now. Both lead fairly normal lives, working industrial jobs and buying homes that suited them. No one really thought about it much... when Uncle comes over, you knew he was going to talk about the weather and world politics, if he talked at all. It was also highly possible he'd simply play with the cats his entire visit. He wasn't unpleasant about it, though, he just really liked cats. Though his outbursts that he saved only for Grandma were scary.

The lack of support we give each other now is a tragedy. I will say there's a definite hormone shift after a baby is born, but support could soften it, if it leads to depression(I don't think it always does, but sometimes can). I was always prone to nasty depression while pregnant, but I had absolutely no support. I remember choosing a midwife, explaining that I'd picked her to be my support through what was going to be a difficult time, and that there'd be no other support. She was a little surprised, but as time went on, she saw I wasn't kidding. The few friends I did have avoided me; they liked a strong and upbeat George that would help them with their troubles, not this withdrawn and melancholy one who instead asked for help.

Brian2

Veteran Member
It gets annoying. I even have had moments when im nonverbal(I am a semiverbal seminonverbal autistic) where someone asks the person next to me how im doing. Bro I got my AAC app I'm speaking clearly with it. Just ask me. I'll type up my response and we will talk. This occurs even after I use said app in front of the person and the person already knows im not deaf(some folk when you use AAC assume you are deaf for some reason.).

Understanding comes slowly for some and attitudes take time to change but it is happening. It is no doubt harder now for you than it will be in years to come.