• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australia's gender pay gap

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Why don't women choose skilled positions though, can you address the pilot vs stewardess example without sexism entering the picture?
Because they apparently aren't interested or else there would be more of them pursuing those careers.
And does something automatically stop because it is made illegal?
No, but if a man and a woman were being paid differently for the same position and all else was equal, and if this was commonly happening, there would be legal consequences eventually.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok, so how would you go about getting more women into management without losing entry level positions? Could it be done by measuring the gender gap at different levels or by calling for ratios of male to female managers to be published instead? Feel free to brainstorm with me if you have any ideas about how to address the problem.
How's it become my problem though? I'm merely suggesting that this measurement does nothing to address the issues, and could be counter productive due to it's lack of nuance.

I've personally always increased the number of women in my team (consistent over the last 14 years) because I've found that some simple clarity around work-life balance and flexibility are even more important to many women that they are to men. But I'm more about acting locally in terms of that. I am very doubtful about the ability of overly simplistic measures at a national level achieving anything other than leading companies to find ways to 'improve' their magic number.

danieldemol

Premium Member
How's it become my problem though? I'm merely suggesting that this measurement does nothing to address the issues, and could be counter productive due to it's lack of nuance.

I've personally always increased the number of women in my team (consistent over the last 14 years) because I've found that some simple clarity around work-life balance and flexibility are even more important to many women that they are to men. But I'm more about acting locally in terms of that. I am very doubtful about the ability of overly simplistic measures at a national level achieving anything other than leading companies to find ways to 'improve' their magic number.
It's not really your problem, and if you dont have any idea how to help that's ok too, but if I had an idea about how to help someone else out with their problem I'd generally be keen to share it as long as it wouldn't prevent me making a living or something like that.

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
It could look like that, although it could also look like "Employer, I do the same work as X and want equal promotional opportunity".
And the employer responds, "The same opportunity for promotion is open to you." Then what do you say?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
As a woman, I believe that TIME AND RESULTS on the job should be rewarded with higher pay, period. Oh, and I guess education specific to the job, otherwise, errrrr, no.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I think you haven't really answered the question, why aren't they interested, is it for example because of social conditioning which itself may be sexist?
Because men and women are different and tend to have different interests, leading to men being the majority in certain industries and women being the majority in others. There. It isn't that hard to figure out.

Unfettered

A striving disciple of Jesus Christ
I'll take it thanks for offering.
Then the employer responds, "Oh, you misunderstood. I did not offer you the promotion. 'Open' means that you, like all other employees, may compete for the promotion. It isn't closed to you. But the promotion isn't currently available no one is being promoted presently. Knowing that you're interested, though, may contribute to your getting the promotion in the future. You're the only employee, in fact, that has mentioned to management that you're interested. Keep performing well in your current position. Check back as often as you like."