• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

attitude to other religions

Does the Orthodox church, like the Catholic Church, agree that other religions are legitimate, but that they themselves are party to the most complete form of religion? Or are they less accommodating to other faiths? Is there an official position or not?

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Does the Orthodox church, like the Catholic Church, agree that other religions are legitimate, but that they themselves are party to the most complete form of religion? Or are they less accommodating to other faiths? Is there an official position or not?

I'm not sure what you mean by legitimate. I think we'd say that non-Christian religions are false but that God's grace is poured out on all and so He can work through them to bring their faithful to Him. As for other Christians, the fact is that we say that we know where the Church is but not where She is not. We consider them outside the visible Church Militant, but that doesn't mean that they are without God's grace or that they will not be found in the Church Triumphant. We would affirm that only in the Orthodox Church can one find the fullness of the Truth, but that all religions contain certain truths due to mankind's creation in the image of God. Individuals, and the religions they espouse may be close to the fullness of Trutrh or far from it, but there certainly is no hard cut off point where one is utterly wrong and damned (as I've heard proclaimed by many Protestants). From what I know of the RCC, I don't think our attitude differs from yours except that we would identify different churches as possessing the fullness of the Truth.

James

P.S.
I would greatly appreciate it if you would not refer to your church as the Catholic Church in contradistinction to the Orthodox Church in this forum. Certain of the RF staff may share your conviction that we are not members of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, but we are not lying when we recite the Creed at the Divine Liturgy. I am a member of the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church and I would appreciate it if you were courteous enough to acknowledge that, even if you disagree, when asking questions in this forum.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
I am not actually a Roman Catholic either, but where I live it is called 'the Catholic Church' by habit. sorry for any offense.

I apologise for snapping at you and for assuming you were an RC, but this is an issue which has caused a degree (to say the least) of bad feeling here and I have in the past, for instance, been accused of 'playing at being Catholic' by an RC member. I was not upset with you as I couldn't expect you to have known but I certainly do want to prevent such things occurring in this forum in future so I wanted to nip it in the bud. Unfortunately, I know by experience that the staff here would be very unlikely to step in and prevent such comments being made.

James