• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: what do you think about all things spiritual/religious? Religious people: what about atheists?

Audie

Veteran Member
I mean it broadly here. Someone who has any sort of magical thinking I guess. Whether it be a beleif in a soul, god, or karma.
Magical thinking
I mean it broadly here. Someone who has any sort of magical thinking I guess. Whether it be a beleif in a soul, god, or karma.
Sooo-
Why not just call it magical thinking then?

It appears to be a rather childish and / or otherwise
an unfortunate mental condition
You sure thats what you are talking about?

I have superstitious relatives who indulge in all manner
of odd rituals.

It seems like worse than a mere waste of time.

Is there some good in magical thinking that I've
missed?

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
I don't normally use the term "magical thinking", but I see that it is in common use in this forum lately. I've encountered atheists who like to describe themselves as "spiritual". Even Dawkins came close to it when he described himself as a "cultural Anglican". However, I take it to mean here that you believe in the reality of disembodied spirits. When you say you believe in a "greater power", that suggests to me that you view this spiritual force to be both powerful and worthy of social ranking above human beings. From a philosophical perspective, that makes you a dualist (aka Cartesian dualist, substance dualist). That is, you believe that reality consists of both a physical realm and a spiritual (or mental) realm.

Personally, I don't believe in a spiritual realm of existence in which disembodied beings can exist. Most people do, and it is actually quite natural for people to believe in a spiritual realm of existence. I just don't see any evidence to corroborate that belief. Most of my friends and family are religious, so I tend not to use it as a criterion for judging people. It doesn't do anything to harm me, unless people use their spiritual beliefs as an excuse to harm or threaten me.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey, atheist! What do you think about me?

Specifically, about the fact that I am spiritual/religious; what do you think about that? Does that make me fearful? Foolish? Deluded? Full of myself? Any adjective with a negative connotation?

Be honest. What do you think about religious people when considering the fact that they are religious?

What do you think about religion itself? What adjectives would you use to describe it?

The reason I post this is because of a conversation I was having with my 100% atheist boyfriend earlier. I was explaining my elementary knowledge of Hinduism to him, and also just in general what I get out of spiritual practice. I began talking about the source of the Upanishads, the ancient sages. It is my understanding that these ancient sages discovered great truths through their practices, and this knowledge was passed down. I was explaining to him how spiritual practice can help you see the supreme reality, which is what these sages did (right?). When I said that, I thought about how that must sound to him, someone who is a man of science! I told him that what I was saying must sound rather pompous. He smiled and said that was one way of putting it, but he preferred the word "extravagant".

I can tell you how Christians tend to view atheists. When I say Christians, my frame of reference is the community I grew up in. I know it's not an encompassing representation of Christianity, but I think we all know some Christians have a superiority complex, thanks to their religion.

I was taught in church that atheists are not to be your good friends. (This held true for other groups, but focusing on atheists here). Preach to them, yes, but don't really befriend them. They are not part of the brotherhood. Atheists are in fact blind to reality. They cannot see the truth (the truth being that Jesus Christ is God). Jesus Christ's godhood is readily apparent to those possessed by the holy spirit. It is logical. So atheists are illogical. I mean, think about it. They think we literally came from monkeys. How stupid can you be? Plus, if they are not on Jesus's side, they are on the devils side. The literal devil, dude.

I know many Christians in my community who think like this. Rather, I know churches who think like this.

Question for everybody

How do you view those who do not see the way you do? May seem like a silly question with an obvious answer "I don't see them any differently!"
But that's not true for everyone. For me, I see those who do not pursue spirituality as missing out in life. I know it's not for everyone, but, in a way, it is for everyone. I think everyone should be spiritual. I think a shift in collective consciousness towards a collective spiritual growth would be cool. Atheists could contribute to this growth more so than a believer, if they're more moral.

I don't see atheists as morally deficient or agents of the opposition or anything. I know spirituality is not for my boyfriend, I don't want to force it on him. He's a way better person than me, imo. And he's does that as an atheist, without spiritual guidance.

I believe in a greater power. It's literally there I think. So I think atheists are simply missing out on a valuable tool. But many believers can never wield the tools properly anyways, so perhaps the atheist is better off. perhaps they use the spiritual tools by virtue of their goodness.
Currently I am thinking why did you choose paganism rather than some form of Hinduism or Buddhism based on the above post.
I do not generalize. If a person is enriched with his/her worldview then I see no problem...but if the worldview is creating negative impact in him/her and in those he/she is interacting with, then I would point that out.