• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists outperform theists at nearly all reasoning skills

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
You have a few percent IQ difference in an entirely questionable poll it really means nothing, its like the health study that says heart attack rates are 2.5% higher for this medicine so you shouldn't take it, heck Einstein believed in God

charlie sc

You have a few percent IQ difference in an entirely questionable poll it really means nothing, its like the health study that says heart attack rates are 2.5% higher for this medicine so you shouldn't take it, heck Einstein believed in God
First, this study, not poll, is not about IQ; It's about cognitive thinking and reasoning ability. However, and second, the previous literature showed that on a four point Likert scale, there was a 6 point IQ mean difference between points. Third, that I saw, no one here said here you shouldn't become religious. Fourth, I'm noticing a prediction from post 37.

I'm curious though, what relevance does Einstein believing in god have on the OP?

Lyndon

Premium Member
6 points IQ distance, that's not even outside the statistical error range, I think you really are demonstrating how stupid atheists can be to believe this crxp.

charlie sc

6 points IQ distance, that's not even outside the statistical error range, I think you really are demonstrating how stupid atheists can be to believe this crxp.
6x4 = 24. 24 mean difference from one end to the other. This is based on religiosity - a bit like the scale I gave in the OP.

Lyndon

Premium Member
You might think you're smart, but really this whole thread is really stupid. For instance MDs are higher IQ on average than construction workers, does that make them better people, or more useful to society, its total rubbish, its just like Eugenics.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Atheists are better at reasoning(E.G. logic problem solving) than the religious. I'm sorry agnostics, you're just bellow atheists :p A proposed explanation, from this study, why atheists tend to have high IQ than theists is that religious people are more likely to use intuitive decision making. To confirm this theory, the study found working memory increased with religiosity(I.E. strength of belief) but decreased with reasoning/cognitive skills and deductive reasoning stayed the same all-round. Similarly, apostates(I.E. converts either way) showed similar results. This study suggested it's not an impairment but rather a bias, "religiosity effect reflects cognitive-behavioral biases that impair conflict detection, rather than general intelligence." The authors conclude from the results that religious people tend to forgo logical problem solving when an intuitive answer is present. Therefore, if the intuitive answer is it seems like god-did-it or it's a supernatural answer, then nothing else need be examined. Nonetheless, from these results, this cognitive bias seeps into more than just religious dogmatism and axioms. Religiosity generally makes people worse at reasoning. Interestingly, working memory increases with religiosity/dogmatism(not as much as the atheist though) and deductive reasoning is the same as others. Perhaps some people can explain why they think this is the case?

This particular study had 63 235 participants, in total, of all age groups, education and country of origins. These variables were also cross examined to see if there were conflicting co-variables - there were none. The online tests took about 30+- minutes to finish and gave the participants a plethora of test, such as:The Grammatical Reasoning Task, Colour Word Remapping (CWR), Interlocking Polygons task, Paired Associate Learning (PAL), Spatial Span and Self-Ordered Search, Spatial Rotations tasks and so on.

So, my question to you is, how certain are you god(s) exists?
1 = Absolute Certainty, 2 = Strong, 3 = Not Certain, 4 = Very Doubtful, 5 = Atheist

Of course, you may critique the study or anything else. If you are going to question the study, I recommend you put your thinking caps on and either read it(it's free) or give some constructive criticism. Just saying something is wrong, especially if the thing you're against has evidence, is an assertion. Assertions can be answered with assertions and are pointless beyond words. In other words, put because after you said something :)

snd5lbO.jpg
See, I knew it... I have been saying this for years... :D
Now, if atheists could only understand the reason to believe in God, they'd be all set.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Atheists are better at reasoning(E.G. logic problem solving) than the religious. I'm sorry agnostics, you're just bellow atheists :p A proposed explanation, from this study, why atheists tend to have high IQ than theists is that religious people are more likely to use intuitive decision making. To confirm this theory, the study found working memory increased with religiosity(I.E. strength of belief) but decreased with reasoning/cognitive skills and deductive reasoning stayed the same all-round. Similarly, apostates(I.E. converts either way) showed similar results. This study suggested it's not an impairment but rather a bias, "religiosity effect reflects cognitive-behavioral biases that impair conflict detection, rather than general intelligence." The authors conclude from the results that religious people tend to forgo logical problem solving when an intuitive answer is present. Therefore, if the intuitive answer is it seems like god-did-it or it's a supernatural answer, then nothing else need be examined. Nonetheless, from these results, this cognitive bias seeps into more than just religious dogmatism and axioms. Religiosity generally makes people worse at reasoning. Interestingly, working memory increases with religiosity/dogmatism(not as much as the atheist though) and deductive reasoning is the same as others. Perhaps some people can explain why they think this is the case?

This particular study had 63 235 participants, in total, of all age groups, education and country of origins. These variables were also cross examined to see if there were conflicting co-variables - there were none. The online tests took about 30+- minutes to finish and gave the participants a plethora of test, such as:The Grammatical Reasoning Task, Colour Word Remapping (CWR), Interlocking Polygons task, Paired Associate Learning (PAL), Spatial Span and Self-Ordered Search, Spatial Rotations tasks and so on.

1 = Absolute Certainty, 2 = Strong, 3 = Not Certain, 4 = Very Doubtful, 5 = Atheist

Of course, you may critique the study or anything else. If you are going to question the study, I recommend you put your thinking caps on and either read it(it's free) or give some constructive criticism. Just saying something is wrong, especially if the thing you're against has evidence, is an assertion. Assertions can be answered with assertions and are pointless beyond words. In other words, put because after you said something :)

snd5lbO.jpg
The online tests
Its loaded with voluntary response bias.

From the article: "The experiment URL was originally advertised in a New Scientist feature, on the Discovery Channel website, in the Daily Telegraph, and on social networking websites including Facebook and Twitter" In other words they advertised where they were bound to get extreme results, and surprise they got extreme results. Yay they get published, and its not a repeatable experiment.

charlie sc

"Researchers found that church attendance has as much effect on a teen's GPA as whether the parents earned a college degree."

"Students who attend religious services weekly average a GPA .144 higher than those who never attend services, said Jennifer Glanville, a sociologist at the University of Iowa."

Church Attendance Boosts Student GPAs

Hmmmm... :rolleyes:

Then, we have a more realistic and honest approach vs a world-wide biased internet approach:

Religion vs. IQ - Are Religious People Stupid?

As far a intelligent religious people:

100 Scientists Who Shaped World History

They break the curve you suggest.
Sorry, I missed your reply. I'll read it in detail when I'm more awake.

charlie sc

You might think you're smart, but really this whole thread is really stupid. For instance MDs are higher IQ on average than construction workers, does that make them better people, or more useful to society, its total rubbish, its just like Eugenics.
I never said I was smart, nor do I think I'm that smart. The second thing you said is about usefulness to society, which I have not mentioned at all nor do I plan to :)

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

snd5lbO.jpg
I am a 2. Strong confidence. But I am not religious in terms of rituals, going to temple/church, worship etc. Just me being me I guess.

leroy

In my experience atheist tend to do very bad in logic.

They say things like "I don't believe in free will, . ........... Hey I am a free thinker"

A free thinker by definition is someone with free will, someone who descided not to follow dogmas and descided to think by himself.

If there is no free will then you can take be
a free thinker,

I don't grant Objective moral values, ........... Hey slavery and stoning gay people is wrong.

If there is no objective morality then one can not say that something is morally wrong

The human brain was created by a proces of random mutations and natural selection..,. ...... Hey I am an atheist because I am a reasonable person.

If the brain was build by a process of random mutations and natural selection, then there is no reason to assume that the human brain is a reliable tool for determining the hard questions like the origin of life, the universe, humanity etc. So why trusting your brain to decide wether if atheism is more reasonable than theism.

RESOLUTION

I don't put any credence to such things. When you can choose the candidates it is a little like jury selection choosing those you think will give you the right result.
Take all the atheists and believers from men and women across the ages and who have degrees and high IQ's. Then let them perform these tasks both atheist, believer and agnostic and see what the results are then.

Can anyone look at creation and give a true reason as to how it came to exist.?

snd5lbO.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If atheists are so smart, how come they don't believe in God, any intelligent person would. And I have an IQ of 150.

Because there is no evidence for god. And even with your IQ you still believe in mythology without evidence... Why?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

snd5lbO.jpg

I will have to say 5 because you dont provide for the person who is right through atheist and many, many points the other side.