• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists and their jargon of insults

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
As i already stated, his claim that he cannot be sure a god exists makes pretty sound case for him not being a hard atheist
I don't think he's ever identified himself as a hard atheist. In The God Delusion he introduced a seven point scale, from 1, meaning hard theists, who are 100% sure of their god, to 7 meaning hard atheists who are 100% sure there is no god. He then said "I'd be surprised to meet many people in category 7, but I include it for symmetry with category 1, which is well populated."

Little Dragon

Of course; Jesus was human ... at least that's what we, JWs, understand. But he was gifted, because he received some energy that no common humans receive. He didn't have autism.
You didn't meet him, he could easily have been autistic or deaf, or half blind, or mentally retarded or homosexual or good with knots or really attractive. You wouldn't know my friend.
Anyways, you, as I do, consider gifted persons a reality, so miracles, supernatural, and somehow "magic" are realities as a consequence.
I think odd things happen, that cannot be explained by science. Yet. I don't attribute that to some God in some holy book written by some talking apes.
PS: "atypical neurological composition" is an interesting name for that.
The correct one. I am neural divergent. I have various savant abilities, including near flawless recall of conversations and written text, which helps massively in my work as a legal representative and advisor, and of course in a debate.

The first thing I clearly remember is staring at the curtains in my bedroom, and working out what the designs on them were supposed to represent, I was standing in my cot at the times, I would have been about 11 months old. I know this because those curtains were only in my first house which we moved out of before I was a year old. This is not typical.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I really do find it odd that so many theists think Dawkins is some sort of leading figure of atheism. Somebody on another forum (a Hindu) recently referred to him as "your patron saint" - just bizarre :confused:. I've seriously never thought of him (or anybody else, for that matter) like that nor do I know of any other atheists that do. His book was probably the weakest of the so called 'new atheist' books. IMO Daniel Dennett's Breaking the Spell was probably the best, but I wouldn't regard him as a leading figure either.

Perhaps it's just that Dawkins is more well known by the general public?

I'd go with someone like Bertrand Russell, who challenged the assumption of theism at a time when most people didn't even realize there was an alternative.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
You didn't meet him, he could easily have been autistic or deaf, or half blind, or mentally retarded or homosexual or good with knots or really attractive. You wouldn't know my friend.

I think that Jesus was most likely just an ordinary man whose followers embellished stories about him to make him appear divine. I don't think there was anything special about him other than that he was probably a well-liked religious teacher whose popularity grew as embellished stories of him spread.

The following is what I wrote in another thread on a similar topic.

I believe the stories about Jesus are either embellished or were copied and adapted from Greek mythology and other pagan religions that predate both the Bible and Christianity. For example, if you replace the name Jesus with Attis (the Phrygian-Greek god of vegetation), you'll have a strikingly familiar savior story similar to that of Jesus, except the Greek myths about Attis are dated 1250 BCE, which predates the Bible and Christianity (see here). In fact, you could replace the name Jesus with any of the other gods described in the following articles linked below, and you'll have more familiar stories that not only parallel the stories of his alleged crucifixion, death, and resurrection but also parallel other stories that have been written in the Bible about him.

And, like the myths about Attis, these other stories about Christ-like figures from Greek mythology and other pagan religions predate both the Bible and Christianity. I recommend learning more about Jesus in comparative mythology. You can start here: Jesus in comparative mythology. In my opinion, these other accounts of Christlike figures demonstrate that paganism had a significant influence on the stories about Jesus and that Christianity's beliefs are not unique. In other words, the savior story of Jesus isn't the first of its kind and, in my opinion, isn't any more believable than all the other savior stories that predate it. I know that Christians like to claim that the Bible was divinely inspired by God and that Christianity is the only true religion, but I don't believe that is true based on the information provided in these articles and in other similar ones. Christianity, in my opinion, is a cheap imitation of other religions.

10 Christ-Like Figures that predate Jesus

The Truth About Mythological Figures Similar To Jesus

Other Gods That Rose From the Dead in Spring Before Jesus Christ

Based on the information I've read, if a religious leader named Yehoshua (also called Yeshua or Jesus) existed in biblical times, he was most likely just an ordinary man and popular religious teacher whose devoted followers embellished the stories about him, and more embellishment and folklore were later added to these stories to make him appear to be more than he actually was. I believe that it's probable that he was simply a well-liked religious teacher whose loyal followers spread false stories about him to make him appear godlike. I also think that it's likely that a few stories about him were copied and adapted from Greek mythology and other ancient pagan religions, which predate Christianity and the Bible. In my opinion, it's plagiarized pagan myths.

Dao Hao Now

And the Catholic Church.
And the list goes on and on…..

There is one bright note though.
They (secular legal authorities) managed to sentence a Catholic priest to life in prison.

Check out this article from USA TODAY:
Catholic priest sentenced to life for sex trafficking boys, manipulating opioid addictions

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I think that Jesus was most likely just an ordinary man whose followers embellished stories about him to make him appear divine. I don't think there was anything special about him other than that he was probably a well-liked religious teacher whose popularity grew as embellished stories of him spread.

The following is what I wrote in another thread on a similar topic.

I believe the stories about Jesus are either embellished or were copied and adapted from Greek mythology and other pagan religions that predate both the Bible and Christianity. For example, if you replace the name Jesus with Attis (the Phrygian-Greek god of vegetation), you'll have a strikingly familiar savior story similar to that of Jesus, except the Greek myths about Attis are dated 1250 BCE, which predates the Bible and Christianity (see here). In fact, you could replace the name Jesus with any of the other gods described in the following articles linked below, and you'll have more familiar stories that not only parallel the stories of his alleged crucifixion, death, and resurrection but also parallel other stories that have been written in the Bible about him.

And, like the myths about Attis, these other stories about Christ-like figures from Greek mythology and other pagan religions predate both the Bible and Christianity. I recommend learning more about Jesus in comparative mythology. You can start here: Jesus in comparative mythology. In my opinion, these other accounts of Christlike figures demonstrate that paganism had a significant influence on the stories about Jesus and that Christianity's beliefs are not unique. In other words, the savior story of Jesus isn't the first of its kind and, in my opinion, isn't any more believable than all the other savior stories that predate it. I know that Christians like to claim that the Bible was divinely inspired by God and that Christianity is the only true religion, but I don't believe that is true based on the information provided in these articles and in other similar ones. Christianity, in my opinion, is a cheap imitation of other religions.

10 Christ-Like Figures that predate Jesus

The Truth About Mythological Figures Similar To Jesus

Other Gods That Rose From the Dead in Spring Before Jesus Christ

Based on the information I've read, if a religious leader named Yehoshua (also called Yeshua or Jesus) existed in biblical times, he was most likely just an ordinary man and popular religious teacher whose devoted followers embellished the stories about him, and more embellishment and folklore were later added to these stories to make him appear to be more than he actually was. I believe that it's probable that he was simply a well-liked religious teacher whose loyal followers spread false stories about him to make him appear godlike. I also think that it's likely that a few stories about him were copied and adapted from Greek mythology and other ancient pagan religions, which predate Christianity and the Bible. In my opinion, it's plagiarized pagan myths.

I don't know if you've seen this. The conclusion of the part of my research into the Roman Republic/Empire that involves Jesus.

My view on Jesus.

Little Dragon

And the list goes on and on…..

There is one bright note though.
They (secular legal authorities) managed to sentence a Catholic priest to life in prison.

Check out this article from USA TODAY:
Catholic priest sentenced to life for sex trafficking boys, manipulating opioid addictions

They will live in fear, all of those abusers.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I really do find it odd that so many theists think Dawkins is some sort of leading figure of atheism. Somebody on another forum (a Hindu) recently referred to him as "your patron saint" - just bizarre :confused:. I've seriously never thought of him (or anybody else, for that matter) like that nor do I know of any other atheists that do. His book was probably the weakest of the so called 'new atheist' books. IMO Daniel Dennett's Breaking the Spell was probably the best, but I wouldn't regard him as a leading figure either.

Perhaps it's just that Dawkins is more well known by the general public?
If you can't defeat the argument you go after the person. It is apparent to me that many theists really were rattled by the publicity and confidence of Dawkins and others. Just to question religious belief in many societies has been a closeted afair for the most part, and non-belief being exposed as an option, and reasonable, upset the status quo. It still does. There hasn't been any credible respose to Dawkins or other critics of religion.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Would that be

- People who are equal to one another in some way
- British noblemen
- people that urinate

?
I don't really know. They are part of some mythical group and conspiracy that allegedly controls science. They may indeed urinate like champs and be noble equals as well. I cannot say.

As near as I can tell, Peers is a mystical, undefined bugbear used to throttle and blame for all things found wrong with science by those that do not appear to have a firm grasp of science and what goes on in conducting science.

It's not the author. He spells his Piers. Its not a platform leading from the shore out over a body of water. Also spelled pier.

It might correspond loosely and erroneously with peer review conducted by other scientists, but not really.

It doesn't mean getting a good look at something, because it suggests something that can't be seen.

I've exhausted my review of the subject and still don't know or have any evidence that they exist.

I've probably said way too much and they will be sending their "Grad Students" after me to shut me up.

Eli G

It is interesting, to say the less, how some anti-religious people try to discredit the biblical stories trying to classify them as myths, but at the same time they try to make it believe that the sagas of the English kings and their wizards and witches are more real than the biblical stories, legendary, but not mythical. Isn't it? ;)

Do they fear, maybe, the pagan gods but do not want to respect the God of the ancient israelites?

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It is interesting, to say the less, how some anti-religious people try to discredit the biblical stories trying to classify them as myths, but at the same time they try to make it believe that the sagas of the English kings and their wizards and witches are more real than the biblical stories, legendary, but not mythical. Isn't it? ;)

Do they fear, maybe, the pagan gods but do not want to respect the God of the ancient israelites?

It is interesting is it not that some people will clutch at straws in an attempt to discredit what they hate.

So i am asking you for evidence that anti religious people believe that the sagas of the English kings and their wizards and witches are more real than the biblical stories.

I'll wait