• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist Business with Christian Customers.

Shlomoh

Let’s say you are businessman closing a big deal. You are shaking the man’s hand you are making the deal with. Do you mention to the guy you just took a crap and didn’t wash your hands, yes or no?
First I say, ASHER YATSA. If that's not good enough for him, **** him. I take my business and my dirty hand elsewhere

1robin

Christian/Baptist
You're an atheist businessman with a thriving business. 80% of your clientele are Christians.

Do you tell them you don't believe in the biblical god or not?

You might as well tell them.

Most mature Christians will know if a person is an atheist within about 30 minutes of talking with them.

And

I have never met a Christian who terminated a business relationship over a person's faith. I am sure it does happen but apparently so rarely that I am not aware of a single instance.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Most mature Christians will know if a person is an atheist within about 30 minutes of talking with them.

And

I have never met a Christian who terminated a business relationship over a person's faith. I am sure it does happen but apparently so rarely that I am not aware of a single instance.
OTOH, apparently it happens so often that you can base a business on catering to people who only want to do business with Christians:

Christian Business Directory by The Shepherd's Guide

1robin

Christian/Baptist
OTOH, apparently it happens so often that you can base a business on catering to people who only want to do business with Christians:

Christian Business Directory by The Shepherd's Guide
I did not say anything about what kind of people a Christian would want to do business with. All things being equal I would choose a Christian to do business with over an atheist, however I have never even considered suspending trade with a person once I determined they were an atheist. What I did say was that apparently a Christian terminating a business relationship because they merely learned the other partner was an atheist is so rare that I am not aware of a single instance. But I also said I am sure it happens, just that it must be rare.

However the inverse is not rare. Christians have been persecuted by non-believers for our entire history. Just take the Stalin's, Mao's, and Pol Pot's oppression in the last century. At times entire Empires outlawed the faith its self. Despite Christian's accounting for 80% of nobel laureate and Jews making up much of the rest, I do not care how solid your science is, if you adopt scientific positions similar to core biblical positions you will never be published and you will be ostracized by the academic community at large in many cases. I have no need to show how often and how prolific the oppression of Jewish people has occurred over millennia. The oppression scales are heavily balanced against Christians over the last 2000 years or so. The faith its self was born into oppression.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
All things being equal I would choose a Christian to do business with over an atheist, however I have never even considered suspending trade with a person once I determined they were an atheist.
But a business-owner's atheism would factor negatively into your decisions about whether to do business with them, and how much business you would do?

However the inverse is not rare. Christians have been persecuted by non-believers for our entire history. Just take the Stalin's, Mao's, and Pol Pot's oppression in the last century. At times entire Empires outlawed the faith its self. Despite Christian's accounting for 80% of nobel laureate and Jews making up much of the rest, I do not care how solid your science is, if you adopt scientific positions similar to core biblical positions you will never be published and you will be ostracized by the academic community at large in many cases. I have no need to show how often and how prolific the oppression of Jewish people has occurred over millennia. The oppression scales are heavily balanced against Christians over the last 2000 years or so. The faith its self was born into oppression.
Yeah - Christians in the US are really hard done by. :rolleyes:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
But a business-owner's atheism would factor negatively into your decisions about whether to do business with them, and how much business you would do?
How on Earth can you know what I would do? Actually, I would prefer a Jewish person to do business with over almost anyone. They do not hold to my faith but they are perhaps the most accomplished cultural group per capita in human history.

Yeah - Christians in the US are really hard done by. :rolleyes:
I make a statement about Christianity as a whole, including hundreds of nations, quite a few empires, and thousands of years. So you pick a single nation, over a range of a few hundred years, then claim that 100% complete oppression does not exist there and write off the 90% of Christian history you ignored. Typical.

Since you brought it up. Do you realize the US has the greatest proportion of it's population that is Christian than any other nation in history, and that it has also been the greatest nation in human history?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
How on Earth can you know what I would do?
Because you told me, remember?

"All things being equal I would choose a Christian to do business with over an atheist[.]"

I make a statement about Christianity as a whole, including hundreds of nations, quite a few empires, and thousands of years. So you pick a single nation, over a range of a few hundred years, then claim that 100% complete oppression does not exist there and write off the 90% of Christian history you ignored. Typical.
We were talking about who you do business with. The context is your culture.

Since you brought it up. Do you realize the US has the greatest proportion of it's population that is Christian than any other nation in history,
Not true.

Even leaving out fake countries like Vatican City, the US is quite a bit behind Ireland, Haiti, Moldova, Norway, Poland, the Congo, etc. etc.

and that it has also been the greatest nation in human history?
By what measure?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Because you told me, remember?

"All things being equal I would choose a Christian to do business with over an atheist[.]"

We were talking about who you do business with.
I thought we were talking about why I would stop doing business with someone in a theological context. However I am too busy to go back and check. It is so refreshing to see a post by someone on your side that isn't just flat incorrect I will withdraw my objection no matter what context it was in. I will even make it more clear.

The bible of course says it better:

New Living Translation
"You must not plow with an ox and a donkey harnessed together.

1. An ox can plow a field.
2. A donkey can plow a field.
3. However they do so at different rates and in different ways so putting them together will compound the problems you would get with an al oxen or all donkey team.

The context is your culture.
I do not know what this means, but my culture would be redneck, if anything.

Not true.

Even leaving out fake countries like Vatican City, the US is quite a bit behind Ireland, Haiti, Moldova, Norway, Poland, the Congo, etc. etc.
I will give you this one as well. I was in a hurry and was sloppy. The US has the highest number of Christians not the highest percentage.

By what measure?
Economy, benevolence, military power, quality of living, etc..... all added together.

Listen I am way too much of a hurry to see how deep the rabbit holes I mentioned are. Lets go back to the original post I made here, because it was on the threads topic instead of one of these off ramps.

Here is my initial response to the OP.

And

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Listen I am way too much of a hurry to see how deep the rabbit holes I mentioned are. Lets go back to the original post I made here, because it was on the threads topic instead of one of these off ramps.

Here is my initial response to the OP.

And

In real life, people tend to be surprised when I tell them I'm an atheist... even people who have known me quite a while. The fact that I don't cross myself is a giveaway that I'm not Catholic, but it's pretty common for people to assume I'm some sort of Protestant.

The only other giveaway: at a banquet or the racetrack, I don't bow my head for the grace / invocation... though generally, the only people who notice are the others who don't bow their heads either.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
In real life, people tend to be surprised when I tell them I'm an atheist... even people who have known me quite a while. The fact that I don't cross myself is a giveaway that I'm not Catholic, but it's pretty common for people to assume I'm some sort of Protestant.
I am not sure why you posted this. I do not know the people you do, but I would bet every cent I have that at the end of one conversation with you I could tell whether your a Christian or not. Also, I have never seen a person of any persuasion cross themselves in person. That is not even on the list of things I look for.

The only other giveaway: at a banquet or the racetrack, I don't bow my head for the grace / invocation... though generally, the only people who notice are the others who don't bow their heads either.
I do not look at any ceremonial practice or societal fashion to make up my mind either. I was a prayer councilor for years and so I have a much deeper understanding of what the average Christian thinks. In general we won't tell an atheist we think they are an atheist, but we all form our own personal estimations.

This is not really going to go any where. I can only tell you what my several decades worth of personal experience indicates. I do not know how to prove that Christians do what I said we do, nor how anyone could show that it is untrue.

In fact I do not know how to prove or disprove anything relevant to this thread, with the exception of the historical persecution of Christians, I mentioned.