• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism, Definition And Overview.

Jiddanand

To solve the confusion about Atheism, it's definition and it's overall overview I have compiled a literary article. This article is available on my blog. The link below takes you straight to the article Page.

Atheism, Definition And Overview http://jiddanand.blogspot.com/2016/01/atheism-definition-and-overview.html

Great clarifications are given to justify individual as well as universal beliefs about Atheism.

A must see thing for everyone whether atheists or other people of the society.

Laika

Premium Member
An intresting read. There are several atheist philosophies, and there is no single definition but several conflict ones. Much of the confusion stems from a failure to recognise this diversity of traditions both amongst theists who believe they are criticising atheism as if it were a single doctorine, and amongst atheists themselves who wish to dissociate from each other often based on accusations of being too soft or too critical of religious beliefs.

Importantly, different groups of atheists approach the question of defining atheism in different ways. "sceptics" who profess atheism is a "lack of belief" often insist on agonising over lingustic definitions to exclude what atheism is not, reducing it further and further to a single component- the absence of theism.

the "strong atheists" will often take a different approach, viewing language- like a belief in god- as a product of human reason and therefore subjectively defined in relation to a wider historical, philosophical tradition which often expands rather than contracts the definition from a belief that atheism as the "conscious rejection of the existence of god".

religious and mystical atheists, often take a third view that religion represents some intrinsic quality of the mind and therefore that by intutition we can develop beliefs that are in accordance with our nature, even without the presence of a god. this does include some forms of buddhism, as well as atheistic satanism, and possibly existentialist and humanist philosophers.

however, each of these groups is also overlapping and there is no clear doctrinal division between them as would occur in a religion with a schism and denominations of belief. I'm comfortable recognising that there are at least three major varietes of atheism, but they could be further broken down into distinct philosophies of which "atheism" is only superfically a common denominator.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I have to admit, I was a little worried when clicking on the link, but it was an interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

Kfox

To solve the confusion about Atheism, it's definition and it's overall overview I have compiled a literary article. This article is available on my blog. The link below takes you straight to the article Page.

Atheism, Definition And Overview True Religion Mission: Atheism, Definition And Overview

Great clarifications are given to justify individual as well as universal beliefs about Atheism.

A must see thing for everyone whether atheists or other people of the society.
Though I didn’t read all of it, I glanced over some of it and this part I disagree with.

Take the proposition, “God exists”. One could affirm the proposition, which is theism. Deny the proposition, which is atheism, or withhold judgment with regard to the proposition, which is agnosticism. Those who affirm the proposition have to give reasons why they think it is true. Those who deny it have to give reasons why they think it is false.

Agnosticism is not to withhold judgment, it is the claim that nobody can know if God exists.
Definition of AGNOSTICISM

And to deny something; or remain skeptical does not require you give a legitimate reason for remaining skeptical; if you claim Santa lives on the North Pole, I will not take your word for it, AND I don’t have to investigate the North Pole in order to prove you false; the fact that I find your claim unrealistic is all the reasons I need for remain skeptical.

Agnosticism is not to withhold judgment, it is the claim that nobody can know if God exists.
Definition of AGNOSTICISM

Certainly that's one type of agnosticism.

Strong agnosticism (also called hard agnosticism, closed agnosticism, strict agnosticism, absolute agnosticism)—the view that the question of the existence or nonexistence of god(s) are unknowable by nature or that human beings are ill-equipped to judge the evidence.
(SOURCE)

Kfox

Certainly that's one type of agnosticism.

Strong agnosticism (also called hard agnosticism, closed agnosticism, strict agnosticism, absolute agnosticism)—the view that the question of the existence or nonexistence of god(s) are unknowable by nature or that human beings are ill-equipped to judge the evidence.
(SOURCE)
The problem with that definition is it does not apply to all versions of God, only specific ones. I would challenge any sane agnostic to stand next to Kumari of Nepal, Haile Sellassie (ex president of Ethiopia), or any of the other people theists have chosen to call God and proclaim their existence is unknowable simply because some have chosen to call them God.

Last edited:
The problem with that definition is it does not apply to all versions of God, only specific ones. I would challenge any sane agnostic to stand next to Kumari of Nepal, Haile Sellassie (ex president of Ethiopia), or any of the other people theists have chosen to call God and proclaim their existence is unknowable simply because some have chosen to call them God.

Physicist 1 bursts into the faculty common room, waving a piece of paper.

Physicist 1: Send a telegram to Stockholm... I've discovered proof that Neutrinos have mass!

Physicist 2 snatches the piece of paper.

Physicist 2: This is a picture of a cat, sitting on a set of bathroom scales.

Pysicist 1 (sounding triumphant): Yes! And I named my cat "Neutrinos" (or "Neuty", for short).

The question is not "Can some of the things people have claimed were Gods, be shown to exist?"

The question is closer to being "Are people correct to claim divinity for any of the things that can be shown to exist" or, perhaps, "For what definitions of the category 'deities', is there at least one example of the category that can be shown to exist?"

A common approach is to specify "supernatural deity", to distinguish it from definitions of "deities" that can include "the universe" or other things which are not individual sentient creators of the laws of physics.

Kfox

Physicist 1 bursts into the faculty common room, waving a piece of paper.

Physicist 1: Send a telegram to Stockholm... I've discovered proof that Neutrinos have mass!

Physicist 2 snatches the piece of paper.

Physicist 2: This is a picture of a cat, sitting on a set of bathroom scales.

Pysicist 1 (sounding triumphant): Yes! And I named my cat "Neutrinos" (or "Neuty", for short).
To which Pysicist #2 would respond; We’re not talking about your cat Neutrinos, we’re talking about the particle called Neutrinos”. The Pysicists are specific with what they are talking about when they speak of Neutrinos.
The question is not "Can some of the things people have claimed were Gods, be shown to exist?"

The question is closer to being "Are people correct to claim divinity for any of the things that can be shown to exist" or, perhaps, "For what definitions of the category 'deities', is there at least one example of the category that can be shown to exist?"
Are people correct to claim divinity? Correct by what standard? No. The question is if God exists or not. Whether or not people correct to proclaim “X” divine is not addressed in the question, so it has to be assumed anything that if given deity status, has to be included. As I said before, that is the problem with agnosticism; it assumes specific deities; not all of them.
A common approach is to specify "supernatural deity", to distinguish it from definitions of "deities" that can include "the universe" or other things which are not individual sentient creators of the laws of physics.
Agnosticism does not do this, if it did perhaps your argument would have merit. After all; if you aren't gonna question the divinity of (for example) Jesus, why would you question the divinity of Haile?

Last edited: