• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism and Afterlife

Syphros

Errmm... You what now?
Well, I see everything as being in a state of becoming - becoming more of what, in some respects, one already is, but on a conscious level.

But is only this stage of becoming conscious?

One wonders that if there is an afterlife that is such a great place, why people go to great pains just to stay alive, and look at death with great sadness rather than great joy.

I believe by definition when you die you are dead, that is the way of evolution and the cycle of "life".

People need to shed their fear of death as a terrible thing. I intend to plan my own funeral. If no such afterlife exists, the legacy I leave behind will live on.

I haven't a clue as to what this means.

It is my single commentary about our materialist reality. It doesn't matter, it's only my most significant contribution thus far! :p

Is this a form of pantheism/deism you're leaning towards?

Not really, it's just an theory/observation.

I see no mechanism by which any semblance of a consciousness could survive after death... I think this is a good enough reason to make the most of life in the geological blink of an eye that I'll be here.

You don't see a scientific mechanism! What if energy was conscious? What if? What if?

Damn right! Live everyday as if it is your last. Of course that brings in plenty of ethical and moral dilemmas.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
And between dreams, where is your conciousness? It does not matter how long you are in a state of non-existance as time is no longer relevant.

I wasn't talking about the transition. :rolleyes:
I'm really not sure what you/we are debating. I simply stated that non-existence does indeed scare people, myself included, if I think about it too long. I realize it's a illogical fear, as most fears are, if you examine them. Why the rolling of the eyes?

samuiil

you know maybe after you die you dont reicarnate but its not to concrete.
God is a wide concept. I do not think you can compare it with such a concreet thing as a flying pig.
so think this you shoundnt be anxious to die because there might not be anything but dont get dissanimated because there might just might be an afterlife after all. how can you tell there isnt if you cant tell there is and visa versa.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
you know maybe after you die you dont reicarnate but its not to concrete.
so think this you shoundnt be anxious to die because there might not be anything but dont get dissanimated because there might just might be an afterlife after all. how can you tell there isnt if you cant tell there is and visa versa.
I am guessing.. like you do..
I see no reason for an afterlife as it would take away any importance of this one. And visa versa..

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I don't believe in anything supernatural. The way I see it if it exists it's natural and the only reason we call it supernatural is because we don't understand it yet. So if god or souls exist then they are just as natural as the grass and trees outside my home. I don't believe god is necessary for souls to exist, all that is necessary is energy. I have my own beliefs about the after-life and reincarnation but I could be wholly wrong and I know that regardless of whether or not there is an after-life the most likely outcome from my perspective anyway would simply be me falling asleep and never waking up. The energy that was me may still exist but i may not necessarily be aware of it.