1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured AT-AT the pinata

Discussion in 'Theological Concepts' started by AT-AT, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Dan From Smithville

Dan From Smithville Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,606
    Religion:
    Methodist
    I am a fan of Dylan Thomas and cleave to the idea of not going gentle into that good night. I may not be much, but I intend to fight for it to the end. In the meantime, I plan to learn as much as I can about this crazy life. I am not sure if I will learn the truth, but maybe a truth or a part of a truth. That may be good enough. I think it may be more important how you look for the truth and how you treat others around you along the way. That might be some pretty good truth in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  2. siti

siti Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,476
    ... or better still - and somewhat closer to my conception of deity - "I am always in the process of becoming whatever it is I am in the process of becoming" - and you can't name that - names - "Yahweh", "Roseberyl" even "God" - are placeholders for the indescribable "nature of nature" - the name that can't be named - does that make me Taoist?

3. AT-AT

AT-AT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,305
    Religion:
    God
    There has been something bothering me. It's, I cannot be certain Christianity isn't correct. In fact, when I've reached out to God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit before, I may have felt something. But I have tried to be Christian before... I can't. The last time I tried, I was slowly learning the Bible and Christian doctrines. I couldn't do it. The ideas were too different than my personal worldview, and I ended up lieing to myself. Yet I feel one of the best Christian doctrines is regarding their views on heaven. It's like I want to go to heaven, but I don't want to buy the 1 million dollar ticket needed to get there, figuratively speaking.

4. siti

siti Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,476
    I don't have that problem, I have never really wanted to go to heaven and now I am thoroughly convinced I will not be going to heaven - and most of my Christian friends seem to agree! :)

5. AT-AT

AT-AT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,305
    Religion:
    God
    That's interesting.

I must be careful in stating I'm as mentally well as I've probably been in 9 year, still not perfect, and wouldn't harm myself, before I say what I'm about to say: I have been strongly focused on religion since age 13. I haven't been able to stop. Like Christians, I don't really feel this world is my kingdom. All I have is my dreams to keep me warm. If you have ever heard the term "There's no rest for the wicked", well I must be wicked, because my mind is often at deep thought and doesn't stop. If God ever came to me and asked, "What is it you want?", I'd just say "By all means, I want to skip death and go with you. I'm cool with it." and I'd take my chances.

6. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,256
    Religion:
    diversity
    You are correct. The version of God that is the focus of worship, and that is speaking in the old testament is strict, and seems imbalanced. This imbalance is also the focus of most of the criticism.

The softer side of God in Abrahamic religions is more discrete. But it's there. It exists in the way it is practiced. The people are the softer side of God.

#46 dybmh, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  7. Shad

Shad Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,744
    Religion:
    Theological noncognitivist
    I am disappointed in the misleading thread title. I expected this

[​IMG]