• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asthma

Runt

Anyone have asthma, and what do you do about it? In particular, do you know of any non-medicinal treatments for it... anything from herbal remedies to yoga... mine is really bugging me and I don't have an inhaler because my parents WON'T TAKE ME TO THE DOCTOR!!! *cries*

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
I have asthma too. It doesn't sound like yours is too severe (or you'd be ending up in hospital, and your parents would have no choice but to get you medication). I own an inhaler, but I generally try not to use it - too many nasty side effects for me. :eek:mg: The best thing you can do is work out what triggers your attacks, and then avoid it/them like the plague!
Potential triggers can include molds/mildew; pollens and grasses (esp. freshly cut grass/lawns); fumes (whether it be car fumes, chemical fumes - anything from laundry powders to perfumes...Red Door sets me off :roll: ); exercise (particularly running, I've found); some pain relievers (always check the box for warnings, and if possible, do a search on the internet for side effects before you take anything); humidity/steam (avoid saunas, and steam baths for headcolds is a no-no); even heightened emotions can be a trigger...the list goes on. Work out what your triggers are, and make changes to ensure you aren't constantly being exposed to them.
When you do have an attack, your best defense is to stay calm and NOT PANIC. A larger portion than you would think of an asthma attack, is actually a panic attack. My own sister (who is a severe asthmatic, and on preventative meds as well as relievers), agrees with this. It's not always easy to stop yourself from panicking - not being able to breathe freely is a freaky thing. But if you're taking wheezing into a full-blown attack because you're thinking you're gonna die, then that's exactly what will happen lol. Try instead to slow your breathing down, tell yourself you are calm and breathing freely (as opposed to telling yourself 'don't panic' - it's much better to put a positive thought in your head than telling yourself not to have a negative one...it's like saying "don't look over there"...which immediately makes you want to look lol).
I have found some essential oils help...clary sage, cypress, eucalyptus, frankincense, lavender, marjoram, peppermint, pine, rose otto, rosemary, tea tree, thyme (there are others too). You can use them in a bath (4 - 8 drops only...some oils can be a skin irritant if more than 2 drops are used, so make sure you check beforehand), either one oil or a combination of several; regular massage (especially to chest, neck and shoulders - a few drops of essential oil in a small quantity of a natural base oil, such as olive, almond, or sunflower seed); vapouriser (a.k.a. oil burner), a few drops in water; dry inhalation (drops on a handkerchief).
Suggested herbal remedies include: coltsfoot, echinacea, hyssop, lemon balm, peppermint.
Nutritional supplements include: a good multi-vitamin and mineral supplement containing complete B-complex, plus 500mg vitamin C, and one or two garlic capsules daily.
Yoga postures recommended for asthmatics (to strengthen the body against an attack, not to treat an attack), include: The Fish, Candle, Mountain, Grasshopper, head to knee stretching, forward-bend sitting, forward-bend standing, Cobra. These are recommended to be done in conjunction with breathing exercises, such as Alternate nostril breathing, Cleansing breathing, Deep breathing, Cooling breathing. Find yourself a book on yoga, or do a search online for instructions on the techniques.
With any of the aromatherapy and herbal remedies, go slowly, and if you find you have a sensitivity to anything, then immediately stop using it. Softly, softly is the key. Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you! :goodjob:

Runt

Bastet-- Thank you so much! Yeah, mine is not too severe, but it is bad enough to occassionally make me dizzy, and yes, sometimes panic a little. It is triggered by exercise (which is unfortunate, since I am a dancer and martial artist) and also seems to be seasonal...I always have more problems around this time of year. Learning to breathe correctly while working out seems to help, but still... it REALLY screws with my endurance! :( Thanks for all the advice though! I'll try some of it out... I've actually got about half the oils and herbal remedies that you recommend...basically it seems that anything that is useful in treating colds is also useful in treating asthma... I think I'll add that to my herbal :p *wonders why she didn't think of that...*

October-- LOL, what? PHPBB?

Other versions of forums would allow you to sort of rate posts, lol, anyway, back to the subject for ya.....

Good Luck with that, my fiance has asthma too, unfortunately he refuses to stop smoking although he is allergic to the smoke. Sometimes he runs out of his inhaler, or gets asthma from using it too much, but he can control it by not getting paniced too. I wish he would quit smoking and try some natural remedies. I read in a book once that someone with asthma changed thier diet and used natural remedies and never had to use an inhaler again. He is not exactly the 'natural' type person, it is ashame too, I believe the body is pretty well expirenced in healing itself if given the proper chance, not that going to the doctor is not needed sometimes....

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Hey, glad I could help. :goodjob: I think the yoga should help with the other exercise you do...makes you less susceptable to having an attack. I've been meaning to get back into my yoga, :oops: since exercise is a trigger for me too...I was a dancer when I was younger, and a runner at school - track, long distance, cross country. If I'd known about yoga back then, who knows how fit I'd be now. :lol:

Runt

OctoberTheHottie said:
Other versions of forums would allow you to sort of rate posts, lol, anyway, back to the subject for ya.....

Oh, lol. I'm assuming you were talking about Bastet's post, eh? (Cuz mine had very little merit... though the response I got was certainly noteworthy! *reminds herself to copy and paste*)

Bastet said:
I was a dancer when I was younger

Really? What kind of dance did you do?

I'm making coltsfoot tea right now. We'll see if it helps or not.

Runt

Oh, something interesting. I learned from one of my taekwondo classmates that asthmetics are supposed to avoid soda and caffeine in general. Soda because the carbonation deoxygenates the blood (not good for someone having trouble breathing as it is) and caffeine... I'm not sure why caffeine is bad... probably because as a stimulant it gets heart and respiritory rates up unnaturally and puts even MORE stress on an already stressed system. Though I'd have to ask a doctor to be sure.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Runt said:

I did ballet from about age 6 - 13. My teacher left town, and mum didn't want to drive an hour to the next nearest town for lessons, so I had to give it up. Most of my childhood I wanted to be a prima ballerina. :lol: I couldn't imagine how different my life would be if that little dream had come true!

Runt said:

Does it taste nice? I'm a bit wheezy myself tonight, wish I had some to try lol. Let me know how it works for you. :goodjob:

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Another thing to watch for, especially in adult-onset asthsma is medications. My wife was put on some medications for an elevated heart rate, and complications from that developed into bronchitis with athsma. We stopped the meds, and all the bronchial stuff faded too.

Great example of the cure being worse than the original condition.

Runt

Bastet said:
Most of my childhood I wanted to be a prima ballerina

LOL, same here. As a kid my dance teachers were always telling me that I had the perfect ballet body... but then I kept growing taller and taller. I'm now 5'10... and the ideal is 5'7. I'd be taller than my porter on pointe, if not while while simply standing! I still dance, but any ideas of going pro haved died as I realized I could never do it unless I was WAAAY better (there was a 6 foot tall ballerina recently... but she was extraordinary and I'm... not) and as I realized that I AM ideal for taekwondo (tall, long legged, flexible, strong, good balance and control, fast... yup, they love me, hehe! They just say I need to learn to put more POWER behind my moves, and then I'll be set!)

Bastet said:
Does it taste nice? I'm a bit wheezy myself tonight, wish I had some to try lol. Let me know how it works for you

It tasted good. Very soothing. Didn't seem to actually DO anything.... but that might be because the herbs are too old, or perhaps I simply didn't steep them long enough.

Engyo said:
Another thing to watch for, especially in adult-onset asthsma is medications.

Luckily, I'm not on any medications (not even aspirin or allergy meds... though the latter might actually HELP the asthma), but I've heard of that happening to other people. I have an aunt with really bad asthma, and I know she took something after having surgery on her arm (carpal tunnel) that gave her an asthma attack. Obviously not the same case, but yeah, got to be careful with medications. That's why I prefer herbal medicine... much less side effects, generally more enjoyable... only time I'd say that you want medications over herbal treatments is when you have something for which minor treatments are not enough. I know for a fact that cough suppressants work better than herbal treatments... but if you have a minor cough/stomachache/headache a minor treatment may be what you want vs something that blasts away your malades but gives you lots of nasty side effects.

Runt

Anyone have asthma, and what do you do about it? In particular, do you know of any non-medicinal treatments for it... anything from herbal remedies to yoga... mine is really bugging me and I don't have an inhaler because my parents WON'T TAKE ME TO THE DOCTOR!!! *cries*

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
I have asthma too. It doesn't sound like yours is too severe (or you'd be ending up in hospital, and your parents would have no choice but to get you medication). I own an inhaler, but I generally try not to use it - too many nasty side effects for me. :eek:mg: The best thing you can do is work out what triggers your attacks, and then avoid it/them like the plague!
Potential triggers can include molds/mildew; pollens and grasses (esp. freshly cut grass/lawns); fumes (whether it be car fumes, chemical fumes - anything from laundry powders to perfumes...Red Door sets me off :roll: ); exercise (particularly running, I've found); some pain relievers (always check the box for warnings, and if possible, do a search on the internet for side effects before you take anything); humidity/steam (avoid saunas, and steam baths for headcolds is a no-no); even heightened emotions can be a trigger...the list goes on. Work out what your triggers are, and make changes to ensure you aren't constantly being exposed to them.
When you do have an attack, your best defense is to stay calm and NOT PANIC. A larger portion than you would think of an asthma attack, is actually a panic attack. My own sister (who is a severe asthmatic, and on preventative meds as well as relievers), agrees with this. It's not always easy to stop yourself from panicking - not being able to breathe freely is a freaky thing. But if you're taking wheezing into a full-blown attack because you're thinking you're gonna die, then that's exactly what will happen lol. Try instead to slow your breathing down, tell yourself you are calm and breathing freely (as opposed to telling yourself 'don't panic' - it's much better to put a positive thought in your head than telling yourself not to have a negative one...it's like saying "don't look over there"...which immediately makes you want to look lol).
I have found some essential oils help...clary sage, cypress, eucalyptus, frankincense, lavender, marjoram, peppermint, pine, rose otto, rosemary, tea tree, thyme (there are others too). You can use them in a bath (4 - 8 drops only...some oils can be a skin irritant if more than 2 drops are used, so make sure you check beforehand), either one oil or a combination of several; regular massage (especially to chest, neck and shoulders - a few drops of essential oil in a small quantity of a natural base oil, such as olive, almond, or sunflower seed); vapouriser (a.k.a. oil burner), a few drops in water; dry inhalation (drops on a handkerchief).
Suggested herbal remedies include: coltsfoot, echinacea, hyssop, lemon balm, peppermint.
Nutritional supplements include: a good multi-vitamin and mineral supplement containing complete B-complex, plus 500mg vitamin C, and one or two garlic capsules daily.
Yoga postures recommended for asthmatics (to strengthen the body against an attack, not to treat an attack), include: The Fish, Candle, Mountain, Grasshopper, head to knee stretching, forward-bend sitting, forward-bend standing, Cobra. These are recommended to be done in conjunction with breathing exercises, such as Alternate nostril breathing, Cleansing breathing, Deep breathing, Cooling breathing. Find yourself a book on yoga, or do a search online for instructions on the techniques.
With any of the aromatherapy and herbal remedies, go slowly, and if you find you have a sensitivity to anything, then immediately stop using it. Softly, softly is the key. Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you! :goodjob:

Runt

Bastet-- Thank you so much! Yeah, mine is not too severe, but it is bad enough to occassionally make me dizzy, and yes, sometimes panic a little. It is triggered by exercise (which is unfortunate, since I am a dancer and martial artist) and also seems to be seasonal...I always have more problems around this time of year. Learning to breathe correctly while working out seems to help, but still... it REALLY screws with my endurance! :( Thanks for all the advice though! I'll try some of it out... I've actually got about half the oils and herbal remedies that you recommend...basically it seems that anything that is useful in treating colds is also useful in treating asthma... I think I'll add that to my herbal :p *wonders why she didn't think of that...*

October-- LOL, what? PHPBB?

Good Luck with that, my fiance has asthma too, unfortunately he refuses to stop smoking although he is allergic to the smoke. Sometimes he runs out of his inhaler, or gets asthma from using it too much, but he can control it by not getting paniced too. I wish he would quit smoking and try some natural remedies. I read in a book once that someone with asthma changed thier diet and used natural remedies and never had to use an inhaler again. He is not exactly the 'natural' type person, it is ashame too, I believe the body is pretty well expirenced in healing itself if given the proper chance, not that going to the doctor is not needed sometimes....

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Hey, glad I could help. :goodjob: I think the yoga should help with the other exercise you do...makes you less susceptable to having an attack. I've been meaning to get back into my yoga, :oops: since exercise is a trigger for me too...I was a dancer when I was younger, and a runner at school - track, long distance, cross country. If I'd known about yoga back then, who knows how fit I'd be now. :lol:

Runt

OctoberTheHottie said:

Oh, lol. I'm assuming you were talking about Bastet's post, eh? (Cuz mine had very little merit... though the response I got was certainly noteworthy! *reminds herself to copy and paste*)

Bastet said:
I was a dancer when I was younger