• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assumptions and inductions about the (metaphysical) world.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
TLDR: Is it possible to arrive at metaphysical truths through inductive reasoning? Is it in fact neccesary to use inductive reasoning?

Science aside, what can we hypothesize about the world and the metaphysics of it?

I mean, spirituality and religion is more than just guesswork. Some people deride the religious as merely guessing about their beliefs, and in some respects this is true. For absent of objective evidence for metaphysical truths, it seems like one is just guessing or choosing their preference in beliefs when choosing a religion.

But the religious will tell you they aren't merely guessing. Am I right or am I wrong?

Well, for me, I'm making educated guesses.

Observe and look at the world around you. What truths can you possibly hypothesize through inductive reasoning?

There is suffering. Suffering is not preferable. Why is there suffering? I suppose that there cannot be an omnipotent God whose purpose is to prevent suffering. But that does not rule out a god who would like to remove suffering, it simply means that if a benevolent God exists, it is not omnipotent. (See the problem of evil). Furthermore, there is so much suffering on a grand scale, it is mass produced. If there are cosmological beings and deities, I assume some have a hand in suffering, due to its prevalence and scale. Yet these beings as well must not be omnipotent, for there is good in the world. I arrive at the conclusion that is similar to Zoroastrianism philosophy. There is a cosmic battle of good versus evil going on, with neither side wielding supreme power. For both good and evil exist simultaneously in the temporal world.

Of course I am assuming the temporal world and the metaphysical world to be interlinked. Is this merely a guess?

I have not brought up one's personal experiences with the divine, which some might argue takes the guessing out of the equation. Who knows?

Is it possible to arrive at metaphysical truths through inductive reasoning? Is it in fact neccesary to use inductive reasoning?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Hmm I think I might've gotten deductive and inductive reasoning confused for the example I used. Heck maybe for the whole thread. Feel free to correct me

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Is it possible to arrive at metaphysical truths through inductive reasoning?

No, metaphysics - abstract theory with no basis in reality.

You may develop a theory that makes sense but since you can't test it you'll never ascertain how reliable that theory is.

siti

Observe and look at the world around you. What truths can you possibly hypothesize through inductive reasoning?
Panta rhei...everything changes...which makes evolution (in the most general sense) the most characteristic "truth" about the world...and, perhaps points to the real reason for the existence of suffering:

"What makes us suffer is wanting things to be permanent when they are not" ~ Thich Nhat Hanh