• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aslan is on the move!

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
Wahooo!!! :woohoo:

For those of you that don't know, I am a big C.S. Lewis fan and I am very excited the new Narnia movie.

Anyone think it will hold true to the spirit of the book? I always worry if the author is not involved in the production.

Bishka

Veteran Member
atofel said:

For those of you that don't know, I am a big C.S. Lewis fan and I am very excited the new Narnia movie.

Anyone think it will hold true to the spirit of the book? I always worry if the author is not involved in the production.
I actually read somewhere, let me see if I can dig up the article, that C.S. Lewis did not want his books turned into a movie or a screen production. Here's the link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4481756.stm

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
beckysoup61 said:
I actually read somewhere, let me see if I can dig up the article, that C.S. Lewis did not want his books turned into a movie or a screen production. Here's the link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4481756.stm
Oh gee, great! Thanks a lot for ruining my excitement! :D

It looks like from reading the article, he is against a live-action version because he would find "a human, pantomime version of Aslan the lion to be blasphemy" and "Anthropomorphic animals, when taken out of narrative into actual visibility, always turn into buffoonery or nightmare".

However, he did say "
Cartoons (if only Disney did not combine so much vulgarity with his genius!) would be another matter." which leads me to believe he may not be against the modern computer animation version. The disney comment is funny considering who the producer is. :)

Bishka

Veteran Member
atofel said:

It looks like from reading the article, he is against a live-action version because he would find "a human, pantomime version of Aslan the lion to be blasphemy" and "Anthropomorphic animals, when taken out of narrative into actual visibility, always turn into buffoonery or nightmare".

However, he did say "
Cartoons (if only Disney did not combine so much vulgarity with his genius!) would be another matter." which leads me to believe he may not be against the modern computer animation version. The disney comment is funny considering who the producer is. :)
True, true.

SoyLeche

meh...
atofel said:

However, he did say "
That, and since films of a lesser quality have already been made from his stories, making better movies is just fixing mistakes of the past. :)

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
atofel said:

However, he did say "
Yes, and his stepson was involved with the production and is apparently convinced that C. S. Lewis would have approved. I'm looking forward to seeing the film, too, and hoping that my son's attention span will be able to last!

James

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I won't go opening night (madhouse), but I do look forward to seeing this. Now if they would do his space trilogy. :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've never heard of CON until I saw the movie trailer. Can someone fill me in on the story, plot, etc.?

SoyLeche

meh...
Luke Wolf said:
I've never heard of CON until I saw the movie trailer. Can someone fill me in on the story, plot, etc.?
The books are fairly short and easy to read. If you can get your hands on it, you should be able to read it in a couple of days at the most.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Looks like something my son would enjoy. We'll probably go see it. We have the whole set of books, but I've not gotten into reading them yet. He'll probably read them before I do.

SoyLeche

meh...
Victor said:
I'm with ND. I'm waiting until the cinema calms down...

~Victor
My wife wants to read it first, so we'll have to find a copy somewhere (I'm pretty sure some friends have it - hopefully we can borrow it). It probably won't take more than a couple of days to read - and then we'll be good for the go. :woohoo:

Scuba Pete

Luke Wolf said:
It's a parrallel tale of Jesus, but told in a fanciful, kid friendly way. Boy meets wardrobe, boy enters wardrobe, witch brainwashes boy, brother and sisters save boy with the help of Aslan... you know, the usual stuff! :D

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
NetDoc said:
It's a parrallel tale of Jesus, but told in a fanciful, kid friendly way. Boy meets wardrobe, boy enters wardrobe, witch brainwashes boy, brother and sisters save boy with the help of Aslan... you know, the usual stuff! :D
Actually, girl meets wardrobe and introduces boy to wardrobe, but boy is ashamed of relationship with wardrobe and lies about it.

Dark_Waltz

I have the old BBC version of the tv production, I loved the stories as a child got me climbing into wardrobes ;)
I can't wait ! I just need soemone to go to the cinema with me who is as big a kid as I am :(

ChrisP

Veteran Member
atofel said:

I'm a HUGE fan too. Musta read all the books more than 10 times each. Magicians Nephew rocks the party... that rocks the party.... :sarcastic

I haven't heard good reviews unfortunately, what with the Aslan from Horse and His boy not being included :(.

Everyones going on about the religious stuff. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just look at it as a good story for once Mr Critic!

Best version I've seen so far is a Cartoon version that was a regular hire for my parents when I came up to our dogs shoulder.

Oh, and did I mention Kiwi Director and shot in NZ :p

Scuba Pete

lady_lazarus said:
Actually, girl meets wardrobe and introduces boy to wardrobe, but boy is ashamed of relationship with wardrobe and lies about it.
OK, so I haven't read it since 1975! Thirty years later and I at least have SOME recollection!